Cows, Owls, & Ice Water

Help Support CattleToday:

Dylan Biggs

Reaction score
Dylan Biggs":3l3u89yk said:
Cut ice for cows after feeding some pellets (cake), this is one of two holes.
PIC_1262.jpg

Short Eared Owl watching the ice cutting.
PIC_1259.jpg

Cows starting to come for a drink.
PIC_1292.JPG

A 3 yr old taking a drink.
PIC_1273.jpg

Some other cows on the way in.
92M
PIC_1300.jpg

92M's 3 yr old Daughter.
PIC_1283.jpg

4S
PIC_1291.jpg

A cow from B.C.
PIC_1306.jpg

30R a registered Angus
PIC_1302.jpg

Snowy Owl on the way home.
PIC_1316.jpg

Sunset the night before.
PIC_1094.jpg

PIC_1159.jpg

The best in the New Year everyone! :)

I use a powersaw to cut waterholes when I'm forced too-the snow this year is pefect for cows to lick so only had to cut ice for a few days.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":36pz9126 said:
Great pics - what are you in Owl country - maybe a little Harry Potter going on? super sunset.

We always get Snowy's during the winter, but this year I have seen more Short Eared Owls then I have ever seen before, it happens to coincide with the most voles I have ever seen also, as for Harry Potter I doubt there is a connection. :cboy:

We also have resident Great Horned Owls that are here year round.

Northern Rancher":214467bc said:
I use a powersaw to cut waterholes when I'm forced too-the snow this year is pefect for cows to lick so only had to cut ice for a few days.

NR, my Gym membership has run out so I figure this way I can water my cows and get some upper body exercise at the same time. :cboy:

Dylan Biggs":gpmhdbei said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":gpmhdbei said:
Great pics - what are you in Owl country - maybe a little Harry Potter going on? super sunset.

We always get Snowy's during the winter, but this year I have seen more Short Eared Owls then I have ever seen before, it happens to coincide with the most voles I have ever seen also, as for Harry Potter I doubt there is a connection. :cboy:

Your post got me thinking (dangerous thing for me :p )... Usually we get quite a few Snowy Owls down here during the winter--especially in years when Canada has a rough winter...This year I haven't seen a one... Might be because much of Canada's weather has been nicer than down here this year (definitely less snow in your area)...Altho Saskatchewan has enough snow that big herds of antelope from Canada are moving down...A friend was flying the other day- and said there were thousands about 20 miles south of the border- that were finding some blowed open grass in the rough breaks....With the snow south of them so deep-that may be as far as they make it this year...

I've been seeing lots of eagles- and hawks...They are really raising havoc with the pheasant and grouse population this winter...

Oldtimer":3liurwvi said:
Dylan Biggs":3liurwvi said:

Your post got me thinking (dangerous thing for me :p )... Usually we get quite a few Snowy Owls down here during the winter--especially in years when Canada has a rough winter...This year I haven't seen a one... Might be because much of Canada's weather has been nicer than down here this year (definitely less snow in your area)...Altho Saskatchewan has enough snow that big herds of antelope from Canada are moving down...A friend was flying the other day- and said there were thousands about 20 miles south of the border- that were finding some blowed open grass in the rough breaks....With the snow south of them so deep-that may be as far as they make it this year...

I've been seeing lots of eagles- and hawks...They are really raising havoc with the pheasant and grouse population this winter...

The Snowy's will probably show up eventually, but if the number of voles around here is indicative of the rest of the country they may be satisfied here for a while.

Northern Rancher":jh0fnxr0 said:
I'm pretty sure they are around all the time-seems every dead deer has an eagle and 50 ravens on it.

Typically Bald Eagles go south for the winter, not typical to have them in Meadow Lake in the winter.

Were they there last winter also?

Dylan Biggs":37ypdrtr said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":37ypdrtr said:

Great pictures Dylan! On the subject of owls; I'm surprised with the temperatures you have that the owls have ANY ears!

They are common enough that I don't pay much attention as to when I see them any more-they were flying around last week though I know.

Cowdirt":2a437o2m said:
Dylan Biggs":2a437o2m said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":2a437o2m said:

Great pictures Dylan! On the subject of owls; I'm surprised with the temperatures you have that the owls have ANY ears!
:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Dylan Biggs":3vduxypr said:
Angus Cowman":3vduxypr said:
Northern Rancher":3vduxypr said:
Were overrun with blad eagles up here but I haven't seen a snowy yet this year.
not saying we are over run
but we usually have 2 bald eagles but this yr we have 6

Are they seasonal visitors or do they stay year round?
ours are seasonal

Angus Cowman":2p6frv8t said:
Dylan Biggs":2p6frv8t said:
Angus Cowman":2p6frv8t said:
not saying we are over run
but we usually have 2 bald eagles but this yr we have 6

Are they seasonal visitors or do they stay year round?
ours are seasonal

Typically around here we see them either going south in the fall or going north in the Spring.

That has only been about the last 10 years or so , before that we had never seen them around here.

Latest posts