Cows get out, visit pond; neighbor threatens to shoot them!

Help Support CattleToday:

in NY i'd be more concerned about PETA than the livestock laws if i shot somebodies cow. as a matter of fact it wouldn't be a bad idea to report his menacing threats to your local PETA reps; they can be a much bigger pain in the A$$ than the local law..........

tsmaxx47":xegq5a2a said:
in NY i'd be more concerned about PETA than the livestock laws if i shot somebodies cow. as a matter of fact it wouldn't be a bad idea to report his menacing threats to your local PETA reps; they can be a much bigger pain in the A$$ than the local law..........
I'd never call PETA unless there was actual abuse, no use giving those nuts a bigger head than they already have. They will just try to throw their weight around and act tough.

tsmaxx47":30p93xca said:
hilarious!

user1":30r1p12z said:
tsmaxx47":30r1p12z said:
I'd never call PETA unless there was actual abuse, no use giving those nuts a bigger head than they already have. They will just try to throw their weight around and act tough.
There's a few things id call peta but id never call them to report anything or for any other reason ....

JSCATTLE":370ashl4 said:
user1":370ashl4 said:
tsmaxx47":370ashl4 said:
There's a few things id call peta but id never call them to report anything or for any other reason ....
Amen

user1":1brx9b2n said:
tsmaxx47":1brx9b2n said:

PETA and HSUS are the very LAST groups I would contact: Such contact would reinforce their already jaded activist and mis-guided opinions on the livestock industry. If my information is correct, the VAST majority of their income is devoted to their activist promotions and VERY LITTLE is ever used for animal welfare. There are also stories that both groups also do a lot of animal killing at shelters and other places...allegedly in secret...

The only group out there, IMO, that actually HELPS abused and neglected animals is the ASPCA. Also, depending on what State one lives in, some have severe laws and penalties...Texas is one example.

dun":3uaktckt said:
Check with whatever group is responsible for law enforcement in your area. Could be a sheriff, highway patrol, or city/town cops.

Around here they don't have a clue, I used to keep a copy of the statutes both for the livestock issues and for trespass on State Trust Land problems.

Deputies are much more helpful if they are positive the law you are demanding they enforce is in fact the law.

Waldershrek":23vyr9lh said:
He can not shoot your animals however you are liable for any damage they cause to his property

This is probably true, but just to be on the safe side maybe you should make especially sure they don't get out again. Even if you can sue him for shooting the cows, you've still lost the cows if he does it. Sort of like getting hit by a car when you're out walking, you know -- no question which side the law's on but it's still something to avoid.

hillsdown":2bu8f68g said:
He should be p@ssed off ,I would be too. I don't want someones cattle in my yard, I don't let mine roam wherever they feel like so I expect others to keep good fences .

However, shytt happens .

It is your responsibility now to pay for and fix any damage that your cattle did in a very timely manner, no matter how little you think of his pond, it obviously means a great deal to him. He may not be able to shoot them ,however they could come down with a mysterious illness and you will have no proof of anything ,just a handful of dead livestock. Make sure your fences are bomb proof ,so there is not a next time .
Ditto that.

I have a neighbor from h@ll that is peoples worst nightmare. :mad: So I can really empathize with people when other animals get in your pastures, your yard etc.
I do know stuff happens and cattle seem to get into mischief no matter how good the fences are sometimes. The few times another neighbors cattle have jumped the gates or fences when they are moving them out or in to another pasture I am great about it, I even have penned them and hauled them home for them. Maybe this neighbor of the original poster has a neighbor from h@ll on the other side of him so he is a little touchy towards everyone, even though they are really good people and do make things right ,like ny_grass clearly has done .

Best of luck with him in the future and no I do not think that threatening to shoot someones cattle is at all appropriate, however people say things in the heat of the moment when their blood is boiling .
I am sure we all have said something we regretted later. I know that I have . :(

hillsdown":jukztmak said:
people say things in the heat of the moment when their blood is boiling .
I am sure we all have said something we regretted later. I know that I have . :(

:nod: :nod:

I know I have as well. Something I try to avoid, although not always successful. :oops:

Katherine

Agree with the PETA comments, and it could backfire on you if the cows broke in because they didn't have enough water

I think BC here is a "fence them out" state, but I have issues with that... we are in an area which is open range, and we have to fence out a bunch of wild cows, but we couldn't get permits to install cattleguards so that we could, and because of that had 15 years of nightmares since the only grass to be seen anywhere was on the inside of our fence.

I think there should be a joint responsibility on that... because either way it's not fair to someone

In our case, which ended up in court (my dad threatened to shoot the offending bull), he was sentenced to "being reasonable in dealing with the Ministry of forests, and the other rancher"... the long and the short of it was that we sold our cattleguards to the ministry, THEY were able to get the permits to install them, the ministry spent 15,000 of taxpayer money for materials for a drift fence (god knows how much they spent in court), and now that we can keep the cattle off our immediate fence, things are much better

If you called PETA the whole thing might turn back on you, because it is my understanding that those idiots think that all animals should be free of fences, running loose. Which yours were until you penned them back up. :shock:

Nesikep":4364xjcv said:
I think BC here is a "fence them out" state, but I have issues with that... we are in an area which is open range, and we have to fence out a bunch of wild cows, but we couldn't get permits to install cattleguards so that we could, and because of that had 15 years of nightmares since the only grass to be seen anywhere was on the inside of our fence.

I think there should be a joint responsibility on that... because either way it's not fair to someone
search: "Game Theory" and "Bargaining Theory" and its relevance to property rights. Also, the Coase theorem: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coase_theorem
I think you'll have a better understanding of what "fair" is...

that's the reason economic textbooks are reputed to be efficient sleep inducers - for the most severe cases of insomnia.........

Latest posts