Cows get out, visit pond; neighbor threatens to shoot them!

Help Support CattleToday:

Isomade":afrlnutw said:
SRBeef":afrlnutw said:
I think there are two things that help keep cattle inside a fence: 1) have enough for them to eat on your side of the fence, 2) run a hot wire on standoffs on the inside of every perimeter fence. The two times mine have got out it's because I left a gate open. Got them back in right away with a bucket of sweet feed both times. I just have to remember to get off the tractor and close the gate.

A bigger concern for me is neighbor's dogs coming INTO my place - they just go under the gates, fences and hot wires. Neighbor is working on it. I am not a dog lover. I wouldn't shoot them but I will call the sheriff/animal control if these dogs repeatedly threaten my cattle or me on my property.

Jim
My neighbor is a good friend of mine. His dog was chasing my cows one day and all I had was my .45 auto on me. I chased him home and shot at him three times on the way there. Neighbor comes outside and I told him what happened. He went in and got his rifle.....end of dog. But I'd do the same if my dog got after his.

boy reading this make sme realy appreciate my neighbors. works that way with dogs here to. also did have a a guy bout 15 miles ddown road. he had a guys bull get onto his corn. he shot the bull. left the shells there too. now he aint the brightest guy. the man who owned the bull paid him for damage to the corn and he paid alot more to the guy who owned the bull.

Cows get into my pasture from my neighbors' places quite often, *fence repair is a BIG issue this fall and winter* and sometimes my cows get over there. Last year I had a cow that got across and WOULD NOT come back. We are not set up with horses and roping equipment; most of the herding we do is on foot or from the driver's seat of the Ford F-150. But we tried for several weeks to get that cow back, and she WOULD NOT come back. The land-owner was very understanding, and tried to help us out, but he didn't have any better luck than we did.

Finally, he BOUGHT the stray cow, since it wanted to be in his pasture anyway! :clap:

Last week I had a pair over from my uncle's place to the west of us. The young bull calf had introduced himself to a young heifer on our side of the fence, but I don't think she was taking too kindly to his lack of manners. His mama, a big brangus, came across the fence to fetch him back home. Now, he had gone through the fence where an old tree had died and fallen across the wires, giving a path just as pretty as you please between two fence posts and one of the few gaps in the briar vines that made me think my fence was more secure than it was. But the mama cow had not come through that way. She had come through in aonther fenced and gated part of the pasture, and I still don't know how she did it, unless she jumped the fence. And like somebody said before, even some of them big 'uns can get over a five-wire fence just as pretty as you please!

Anyway, I got them walked back through the gate, and everyobody seems to be happy on their own pastures ... for a while, anyway ...

3waycross":1u4q2kmq said:
Calman":1u4q2kmq said:
Only way to keep your cows from getting out is not have cows.At some point they will find a week spot or just jump over.

Cal

Good post Cal. Anyone who thinks different is kidding themselves. Their cows(or Bull) just haven't had the right motivation yet. ;-)
But Vic you have to remember certain people from Canada are Perfect

Not sure this applies in NY but here in Texas we have "Open Range" and "Closed Range" counties. In open range counties you have to "fence out" livestock. That is, if you don't want loose livestock on your property you have to build a fence to keep them off of it and if you don't you have no legal recourse for damage they do on it. In closed range counties you have to "fence in" your animals and are leaglly resonsible for damage they do if they get out. For instance, if someone hits a loose cow on anything but a State or Interstate highway in a open range county they are the ones at fault and owe the rancher for the damage to the cow. Its just the opposite in a closed range county. There's a lot of confusion about this though. My insurance agent originally told me about this and when I called 6 different people at the County Court house to verify it (Sheriff, County Clerk, etc.) only one had the same answer and he was an actual Judge which by default made his answer the "right" answer.

ny_grass":jgv3q5ul said:
Hi Waldershrek, I'm waiting on a call back from the St. troopers now. You're in C. NY too; have you had an experience with a situation like this? Or have you ever seen any codes/laws that address this?

Looks like you already got your answer. I'm always late to the party! I deal with situations like this fairly often as I work for a police agency.

Angus Cowman":yibk8aqx said:
3waycross":yibk8aqx said:
Calman":yibk8aqx said:
Only way to keep your cows from getting out is not have cows.At some point they will find a week spot or just jump over.

Cal

Good post Cal. Anyone who thinks different is kidding themselves. Their cows(or Bull) just haven't had the right motivation yet. ;-)
But Vic you have to remember certain people from Canada are Perfect

Maybe not perfect but i know one who is pretty close ;-)

Isomade":2mqhc1um said:
But I'll be dam if I'm gonna apologize again to somebody cussing' me, be it my fault or not. I think you are being too nice. Tell him to go FK himself in the corner.

I'd have to agree with Isomade.

TxBrangus":13ry0zag said:
Isomade":13ry0zag said:
But I'll be dam if I'm gonna apologize again to somebody cussing' me, be it my fault or not. I think you are being too nice. Tell him to go FK himself in the corner.

I'd have to agree with Isomade.
I have to say I disagree with you both. I went over the next day, had a fairly nice chat with the wife (not sure how it would have gone with the guy). She knows me; I know her. She's got my numbers. We know each other a little bit now. Perhaps a start toward becoming neighbors in the best sense of the word. Cussing back at him and I just would of gotten red-faced, and he would have gotten even more red-faced (if possible) and ... I'd have an enemy. Far too much of that around here already. NYer's, in case you guys don't know, could learn a thing or 500 from southerners about manners (I grew up in rural Florida so I can claim some small knowledge on that topic - and stop laughing you "real" southerners ;-)

ALACOWMAN":30yxzww2 said:
CowboyBlue":30yxzww2 said:
Well said, sir. Best of luck on making better neighbors of your neighbors!
yeah good luck.......... good neighbors are born not made :cowboy:
Now that's the truth. My neighbors bull tore down the fence and got in with my cows last year, it wasn't time for my breeding season to start and he felt terrible. But I durn sure didn't cuss him or even get mad. I told him not to think a second thing about it, even took the bull home for him. He felt so bad he shipped the bull the next day......and that's how good southern neighbors treat each other.

Seems to me, no matter where you're from, country is different than city. In the country one seems to have thicker skin. Because these types of attacks are rare in the country. In hind sight, there was something wrong with the old guy and it wasn't really about the cows. Attacking back would have been a loss. He'll probably become a great neighbor. :2cents:

yet another hurdle to over come,, the shooting part... this is where things get a little intense, you cuss me and threaten to shoot my animals... automatically negates any possiblity of apology, or future friendship :cowboy:

gimpyrancher":tmmzs6n7 said:
Seems to me, no matter where you're from, country is different than city. In the country one seems to have thicker skin. Because these types of attacks are rare in the country. In hind sight, there was something wrong with the old guy and it wasn't really about the cows. Attacking back would have been a loss. He'll probably become a great neighbor. :2cents:

:nod: Yep, lived in both worlds and they are most certainly not the same. Way too much aggression in cities.

I think in every state it is legal to protect youself, so if you cows or Bulls put some one at risk on their property, they can shoot it...My cows are mellow, with that said they can still charge you when pushed...In a tight area shooting them might just be self defence...there has never been a cow proof fence, they do get out...When my get out, and they do more often than I want, one of my neighbor gets a bucket of grain and puts them up. THERE AINT NOTHING BETTER THAN GOOD NEIGHBORS....NOTHIN WORSE THAN BAD ONES....

Black Coos":27d4li54 said:
I think in every state it is legal to protect youself, so if you cows or Bulls put some one at risk on their property, they can shoot it...My cows are mellow, with that said they can still charge you when pushed...In a tight area shooting them might just be self defence...there has never been a cow proof fence, they do get out...When my get out, and they do more often than I want, one of my neighbor gets a bucket of grain and puts them up. THERE AINT NOTHING BETTER THAN GOOD NEIGHBORS....NOTHIN WORSE THAN BAD ONES....
AMEN

gimpyrancher":1akajasq said:

I agree. In my experience it's not so much a regional thing as it is a country/city thing. That said, there are good neighbors and bad ones everywhere.

I was helping an old man clean out fence rows one summer when a lady pulled up and asked the old man if the neighbors around here were good neighbors...she said she was looking at moving into the area. Well the old man asked her if she was a good neighbor or not...we never saw her again after that.

That little window of wisdom has lasted me a life time and I learned that to have good neighors you must be a good neighbor but like others stated I have a problem when someone cusses me with my memory and that turning the other cheek thing.

Isomade":15t9tsh6 said:
He!!, I dont know what to tell you about the laws in NY, y'all is crazy up there :lol:. But I'll be dam if I'm gonna apologize again to somebody cussing' me, be it my fault or not. I think you are being too nice. Tell him to go FK himself in the corner.

I am with you Isom. As far as New york goes on stock laws you need to learn what they are.
In Texas you shoot somebodies cow that is out you get to go to jail without passing go.

Latest posts