cowboy hats Q

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave":16hqw55x said:
ALACOWMAN":16hqw55x said:
can't any of em stand an attack from a bushhog .. i watch in horror, as it spit my favorite one out the back in shreds

Or an M-80 firecracker. One of my old rodeo buddies snatched a straw off my head and dropped it on top of a lit M-80. Not much left. But it was fall and time to switch to felt anyway.

Palm here. This one is a 3 yr old picture, but I still wear it. No ball cap here--some people get hot and go look for shade--I like to take my shade with me wherever I go. (it had been a rough day and night before when this was taken--but ain't I a purty baby?

mehath.jpg

A bush hog does a number on a straw hat, and spits out the remains, but I can say without reserve, they don't like 16" steel belted tires. I thought it was gonna shake, me, bush hog and tractor apart before I got it shut down.

I sunburned my ears so bad they cracked and bled one summer about 32 yrs ago by wearing a baseball cap.That taught me to wear a hat.A good vented hat is like standing under a shade tree.But it ain't shaped good until it's run over with the tractor and stepped on by at least 10 or fifteen cows. :lol:

Cal

Dave":2z4va6cf said:
ALACOWMAN":2z4va6cf said:
can't any of em stand an attack from a bushhog .. i watch in horror, as it spit my favorite one out the back in shreds

Or an M-80 firecracker. One of my old rodeo buddies snatched a straw off my head and dropped it on top of a lit M-80. Not much left. But it was fall and time to switch to felt anyway.
When I was rodeoing, that would have been a justifiable homicide offense.
You just don't mess with a man's hat.

Ryder":qiwlawks said:
Dave":qiwlawks said:
ALACOWMAN":qiwlawks said:

amen.....

I been wearing the same summer work and riding hat for eight or ten years.....wear it all the time. My winter work hat is over forty years old. got it in colorado Springs in 1970....served as the dress hat for a long time....I don't wear a dress hat much any more so a dress hat rides the hat rack a good bit.

anybody grabs my hat best be ready for a face full of knuckles..... even at my advanced age.

Jim_Tate_at_Lonsome_Dove_Ride_june_2012.jpg

Ryder":3l7c9787 said:
Dave":3l7c9787 said:
ALACOWMAN":3l7c9787 said:

Under normal circumstance it would have been a case of justiiable homicide. But....... shall we say this wasn't the first rodeo for that hat. It had seen better days. And it was after Labor Day. I should have known better than to wear a straw after Labor Day. It was done by a friend (I use the term loosely). I have been in a brawl or three that was started over a stranger grabbing a cowboy's hat. I agree you don't mess with a man's hat.

pdfangus":16djoy10 said:
Dave":16djoy10 said:
ALACOWMAN":16djoy10 said:

amen.....

I been wearing the same summer work and riding hat for eight or ten years.....wear it all the time. My winter work hat is over forty years old. got it in colorado Springs in 1970....served as the dress hat for a long time....I don't wear a dress hat much any more so a dress hat rides the hat rack a good bit.

anybody grabs my hat best be ready for a face full of knuckles..... even at my advanced age.

Jim_Tate_at_Lonsome_Dove_Ride_june_2012.jpg
[/quote]
I'll make dam sure and leave your hat on your head, a face full of knuckles from hands that size might be six months in bed. :shock:

actually I have always suffered from Jerry Cooney disease.....
I have had more broken hands than you can shake a stick at.
generated more power than the hands could deliver.
but if you can end the fight in that first lick then you can saunter off and cry over the pain later.

i wish i could wear a western hat... they won't stay on, can't get in the truck with one on and if i do, i'm so short, the back of the truck seat pushes it off.. they blow off when i'm on the 4 wheeler...fall off everytime i bend over.. maybe i've never had a good one, or maybe i just aint cowboy enough...

xbred":33s8qj62 said:
i wish i could wear a western hat... they won't stay on, can't get in the truck with one on and if i do, i'm so short, the back of the truck seat pushes it off.. they blow off when i'm on the 4 wheeler...fall off everytime i bend over.. maybe i've never had a good one, or maybe i just aint cowboy enough...

Seat headrest makes it darn near impossible to wear a hat, drive your truck and dirnk a beer... gotta lay the hat in the seat. :hat: :drink:

real cowboys four wheelers don't have wheels.

i started not to mention the 4 wheeler, but what the heck, i ain't much cowboy anyway. but i know some good ones!!

Quad is cheaper. YOu don't have to feed it until you use it. It
Won't bite or kick. It doesn't require anything if it just sits there. It won't forget what it's supposed to do if you don't use it for a while. If you get thrown its your own fault. And you can resell it anytime you want for darn near what you got in it.
Can't say any of that about most horses

hooknline":3vnix684 said:
Quad is cheaper. YOu don't have to feed it until you use it. It
Won't bite or kick. It doesn't require anything if it just sits there. It won't forget what it's supposed to do if you don't use it for a while. If you get thrown its your own fault. And you can resell it anytime you want for darn near what you got in it.
Can't say any of that about most horses

wouldn't do you much good here
other than this sendero you couldn't get a quad in most places
deadwood031-1.jpg

Dave":3fa581kt said:
Roping one is a bit tough off a quad too. Especially when the rope comes tight.

now that 2nd part is some very good information to have BEFORE one decides to dap a loop on. :D

cross_7":gar6oq09 said:
Dave":gar6oq09 said:
Roping one is a bit tough off a quad too. Especially when the rope comes tight.

now that 2nd part is some very good information to have BEFORE one decides to dap a loop on. :D

Be sure to be tied on hard and fast. No use in having a hand occupied with a dally.

I'm gonna go out and saddle up my quad now. Then go make some Cows mad. Just to see if it can be done
Dally ho!

Latest posts