cowboy hats Q

Help Support CattleToday:

bman4523

Reaction score
bought a Atwood "Hereford long Oval" hat some years back, I think its a palm leaf construction. Went to use it the other day and after wearing it a while I noticed that the hat band inside was flaking off and sticking to my forehead because it had rotted out. I thought it was a pretty good hat when I purchased it as it cost about $75. Is it worth trying to put a new/better hat band in it (the original band appeared to be a type of man made leather/plastic impregnated cloth) or do you just throw it away and get a new hat. What is a decent brand and price for a standard palm leaf type cowboy hat? (with a real leather hat band)

don't see too many palm leaf hats around here. Seems most cattlemen still wear the straw hat. Stetson and Resitol are the more common brands seen. The cheap hats seem to loose all shape and melt if they ever get wet.

Most palm hats don't have the wire core. But if you wet one down, shape it how you want and let it dry, them you can spray some waterproofer spray used on leather to help them hold shape. I picked up another one a few months back with leather inside band for 35 buck

A palmleaf Atwood is the best cowboy hat on the market for summer wear period. There is no other hat that will take the abuse and be re-shaped time and time again. The only draw back is they are a little warmer an a traditional straw. Have a hat maker put you a sheep skin band in it and you are set.

If you like the hat, look into getting the band replaced. A good straw hat will cost more than $75 to replace.
:heart: Catalena Hatters in Bryan TX.

Isomade":3uhz7dj4 said:
A palmleaf Atwood is the best cowboy hat on the market for summer wear period. There is no other hat that will take the abuse and be re-shaped time and time again. The only draw back is they are a little warmer an a traditional straw. Have a hat maker put you a sheep skin band in it and you are set.

doesn't the atwoods palm leaf have a "stiffener"(white milky goo) on the hat and that when you wear it in the rain it runs down your face ?

i wear the sunbody cattlemans, the only problem i have is the sweat band is cloth and after a month of being sweat soaked it stinks to high heaven.
sunbody.jpg

cross_7":ikdjbx7x said:
i wear the sunbody cattlemans, the only problem i have is the sweat band is cloth and after a month of being sweat soaked it stinks to high heaven.
sunbody.jpg

I reckon you could move up 1/8th and wear you one of those Deion Sanders "Do Rangs" underneath it. :mrgreen:

cross_7":18jhrzs4 said:
Isomade":18jhrzs4 said:

doesn't the atwoods palm leaf have a "stiffener"(white milky goo) on the hat and that when you wear it in the rain it runs down your face ?

sunbody.jpg
No, I have never experienced it and the 4 year old one I wear every day has been soaked more times than I can count. It has been trampled by cows, works as a horse waterer, cattle prod, been thrown at least 100 times at various bovines, and is even a fly-swatter.

I've never cared for the stiff palm leafs. I buy mine from big bend saddlery out of Alpine, TX. They're $20 and wear good. A straw is meant for 1 maybe 2 years if you wear it to work in.
PANHANDLE.jpg

heath":13qwqhhi said:
I've never cared for the stiff palm leafs. I buy mine from big bend saddlery out of Alpine, TX. They're $20 and wear good. A straw is meant for 1 maybe 2 years if you wear it to work in.
PANHANDLE.jpg

heath
that's a sunbody aint it ?(guatemalan palm leaf hat)

We're going dodge/chevy with this?

I like palm okay. Usually just wear a cap. Its the wind here as much as anything. It even takes off the ball caps on occasion.

ALACOWMAN":32gsx1wp said:
can't any of em stand an attack from a bushhog .. i watch in horror, as it spit my favorite one out the back in shreds

Or an M-80 firecracker. One of my old rodeo buddies snatched a straw off my head and dropped it on top of a lit M-80. Not much left. But it was fall and time to switch to felt anyway.

Dave":35grfym0 said:
ALACOWMAN":35grfym0 said:
can't any of em stand an attack from a bushhog .. i watch in horror, as it spit my favorite one out the back in shreds

Or an M-80 firecracker. One of my old rodeo buddies snatched a straw off my head and dropped it on top of a lit M-80. Not much left. But it was fall and time to switch to felt anyway.
now felt is where you can spend all the money you want

backhoeboogie":1hprrvd9 said:

I like palm okay. Usually just wear a cap. Its the wind here as much as anything. It even takes off the ball caps on occasion.
Hard to beat a "gimme" cap from the feedstore. Brand makes no difference either. When you go to the Purina store be sure and wear your Nutrena, Acco, Co-op cap...it's good for one new Purina cap and vice versa. ;-)

TexasBred":2465jkhl said:
backhoeboogie":2465jkhl said:

Hard to beat a "gimme" cap from the feedstore. Brand makes no difference either. When you go to the Purina store be sure and wear your Nutrena, Acco, Co-op cap...it's good for one new Purina cap and vice versa. ;-)

Thought I was the only hammerhead that did that.

CB that's the only way to get yourself a real "collection" of caps. :lol2: Ford vs Chevy, Acco vs Purina, John Deer vs New Holland. Save at least one really nice clean one for "Sunday". :cowboy:

Latest posts