cowboy hats Q

Help Support CattleToday:

Hold up, first I need a saddle.Someone send me one. Then I have at least one question: does the cinch go in front or in back of the exhaust?

I sincerely hope that you never wind up in a situation where you regret making fun of horses. If you're in it it's to late. ;-)
I had a cow try to take me off the back of a horse two days ago after she figured out that fighting the horse wasn't going to cut it. I was lucky to be on one BROKE sob and got a rope on her and choked her a bit getting her loaded. She'd have killed me on foot or quad and she beat my dogs bad enough that I sent them to the truck to save them until after the rope was on. :mad:
If you ever wind up with one of those kinds of cows, a horse is the only way to handle them.

Hook, don't worry about the saddle. You can just ride a quad bareback.

And don't take us wrong, a quad is a very useful tool. I used one just the other day to haul fence supplies across a swamp to a back corner. It would have been much harder to haul those same supplies on a pack horse. But a quad is just a poor substitute for a horse when working cows.

I have gathered cows a time or two with a quad. But when I do I leave my cowboy hat at home and wear a farmer hat instead.

Dang it. Forgot I sold my quad too.
Someone send me one of those also :lol2:
Im just funnin a bit, I can see where horses would be awful handy. But I prefer to have my animals bucket broke. Still cheaper than a horse.
The best horse is someone else's you can borrow. Just like the best boat is someone else's. :banana:

The best horse is someone else's you can borrow. Just like the best boat is someone else's. :banana:[/quote]

The best Beer is also someone else's..... well as long as it is cold.

Dave":1xirdgrd said:
The best horse is someone else's you can borrow. Just like the best boat is someone else's. :banana:

The best Beer is also someone else's..... well as long as it is cold.[/quote]

yep....my buddy thinks my beer is the best on earth and I think the same of his....
I drink Coors light and PBR.....He drinks Miller and PBR.

Back to headgear, I used to wear a hat because I thought it was the cattleman thing to do, but I have gotten much more practical as I have gotten older and can't justify the cost of a fine felt hat. That money can be better spent on the farm as far as I'm concerned. Plus, I can't wear mine in the truck and building fences and hunting cows in the woods with a hat on makes me appreciate what a big racked buck must have to endure. It gets in my way. Nope, I'm a ballcap cowboy. $5.00 well spent and if a cow steps on it, I don't cringe. Shoot, I see more ballcaps at the sale barns around here than I do cowboy hats. Most of the cowboy hats in my neck of the woods are worn by teenage "rodeo stars" who ride bulls on the weekends that have never strung wire or castrated calves.

Being that I work outside every day, and I'm somewhat fair skinned, I've gone to wearing a western. Don't want my ears or neck frying.

Years ago Progressive Farmer magazine tested several types of hats/caps that farmers and ranchers wear for best sun protection. The winner was a ball cap with a cloth attached that covered the ears and neck. Looked kinda like a French Foreign Legion kepi like you see in the movies. I actually came across a cap in an antique store that looked like the PF cap a few days ago. Anyway, it was pretty silly looking and I just don't imagine many folks would wear one out in public!

I used I wear one of those all the time for fishing. Problem was the fabric was too thick and heavy. And it trapped heat

This transition from cowboy hat to cap (And I admit I'm guilty) is just another sign of degeneration of the society.
Even the cowboy hats today have no character--all pretty generic.
Back when I was young, er, I mean younger, you could get hats with many different creases. Really looked good. My favorite was called the bulldogger, or maybe just dogger.
Or you just steamed your hat and put your own crease in.
If anybody had showed up for the bullriding with a football helmet he would have been run out of town.
Now those were the good old days.
Kind of like the comments on that country boy song a few days ago---I sure miss those times but I am thankful I had the chance to live them.
When people ask if being stiff and sore with some pain pretty much all the time was worth it---YES, and I would do the same thing again, just more of it if could. :clap:

Ryder":am0snv4o said:
This transition from cowboy hat to cap (And I admit I'm guilty) is just another sign of degeneration of the society.
Even the cowboy hats today have no character--all pretty generic.
Back when I was young, er, I mean younger, you could get hats with many different creases. Really looked good. My favorite was called the bulldogger, or maybe just dogger.
Or you just steamed your hat and put your own crease in.
If anybody had showed up for the bullriding with a football helmet he would have been run out of town.
Now those were the good old days.
Kind of like the comments on that country boy song a few days ago---I sure miss those times but I am thankful I had the chance to live them.
When people ask if being stiff and sore with some pain pretty much all the time was worth it---YES, and I would do the same thing again, just more of it if could. :clap:

Two things make life worth living, fond memories, and the anticipation of making new ones.

TexasBred":32lv5xxs said:
cross_7":32lv5xxs said:
i wear the sunbody cattlemans, the only problem i have is the sweat band is cloth and after a month of being sweat soaked it stinks to high heaven.

I reckon you could move up 1/8th and wear you one of those Deion Sanders "Do Rangs" underneath it. :mrgreen:

thats what i do & the bandana rag keeps sweat out of my eyes

Caustic Burno":3qjn8z3b said:
From fishing the bay so much in the day I got in the habit of wearing the canvas fedora. Aint nothing worse than a sunburned bald head.

I agree with you on the bald head CB.
But having said this ,years ago I had a little too much firewater and passed out on a blanket under a shade tree.Laying on my belly and meanwhile the sun moved and burned the bottom of my feet so bad they peeled.Not that's pure he((. Couldn't wear boots and couldn't stand to walk barefooted. :frowns:

Cal

Latest posts