Cow won't take twin calf

Help Support CattleToday:

haymaker

Reaction score
Had twins born this morning, one girl and one boy calf, bull calf is being rejected. Does anyone know of something to put on the calf to get the mama cow to take it?
JRP

haymaker":1kfvjpob said:
Had twins born this morning, one girl and one boy calf, bull calf is being rejected. Does anyone know of something to put on the calf to get the mama cow to take it?
JRP

Likely no choice but to bottle feed.

Might try the old separation trick - put the reject on for a bit - and so on - she may come around but do not be disappointed if she does not take it. Do a search here and you will find a pile of information.

Lots of folks will say tie it up and so on - but do you really have the time?

Cows do this for a reason I figure.

This is one of the many reasons I detest twins.

Quick edit side note - If you have the time and the resouces - put her in a squeeze and let them both suck - one from each side for a bit. Leave her tied up and let her stand for a day. Put a couple of panels around so the calves can walk in front of her. If this is a heifer she may very well just be inexperienced.

If this is a cow - then she is being a beach - or she knows something you do not - and may not take the calf.

Do not know you, but I am known to give these calves to my kids or the neighbours kids - not interested in problem girls - but the kids in my area have started out on cows with some of my babies.

Bez!

haymaker":mc59f2iu said:
JRP

Unless this cow has a ton of milk, you are probably better just to bottle feed the calf. You could sell it to someone looking for a replacement calf, or someone who wants to bottlefeed. OR you could just hold on to it until you need it. We bottlefeed them until we lose a calf and then put the calf on that mama.

Twins :heart: ow, aren't they cute!
NOT - I HATE TWINS :mad:
You can realllllly work at getting the cow to accept the 2nd calf, but the advise of putting it on a bottle & waiting to see if you have a cow lose a calf is the best advice. IF you do have a dead calf, put the new calf on the cow RIGHT AWAY, don't diddle daddle. Hopefully, you gave the 2nd twin his colostrum (good before 12 hours - best 1st hour).

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2ha73mgw said:
Twins :heart: ow, aren't they cute!
NOT - I HATE TWINS :mad:
You can realllllly work at getting the cow to accept the 2nd calf, but the advise of putting it on a bottle & waiting to see if you have a cow lose a calf is the best advice. IF you do have a dead calf, put the new calf on the cow RIGHT AWAY, don't diddle daddle. Hopefully, you gave the 2nd twin his colostrum (good before 12 hours - best 1st hour).

If you do lose a calf at birth, remove the dead calf immediately, don't let her even sniff it!! That will make it much easier for you to transplant the extra. And yes I know it isn't always possible to be right there all the time. Anyways, good luck, and I hope you have to bottlefeed it all summer ;-) cause that'll mean you didn't lose one!!

Latest posts