Cow Names?

Help Support CattleToday:

Name for New Heifer

• Shania

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Peggy

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
My son thinks he is funny, he has been naming his last few steers all Jeff. After about 3 Jeff's and trying to remember which is which in conversations. I insisted he name this years something else. So he likes that new show my name is Earl. So Earl is the Steer this year. TV names could be good ones.

Fonz
Earl, Randy or Catalina
Zorro
Potsy
Mork or Mindy
Kramer

or maybe Comic Hero's

Flash
Superman

Always have named my bulls, but never the cows. Bought a bunch of young gals recently and just simply using numbered ear tags seemed so "impersonal". So now I have:

Aisha
Doletha
Ercelia
Eshombi
Kendricka
LaChandra
LaShandia
Latifah
LaToya
Shaqueta
Tanika
Teketria

And no, they are not Charolais. :lol:

Gotta admit....being a "horse Person", I have a much easier time remembering names as opposed to numbers, so there are:

Rosy Girl
Ruby Lou
Belle
Penny
Lois
Lucy and Ethyl (Belle and Big Mama's heifers born on same day)
Gracie (Amazing Grace - Ruby's first calf, a monster, that the only reason she even got born was by the Grace of God)
Cookie - Black MF heifer who looks like she has a crushed oreo on her head
Bubbles - she's just round all over
Frosty - White eared hereford
Twiggy - came down with coccidiosis as a calf and ended up as skinny as a twig. Should be called Butterball now
Peggy Sue
BB
Deuce
May May
Reba - Ruby's 2nd heifer calf
Val - born on Valentines day

Monty - 'cause he's not quite a Patton ;)
General - really called "Little Bull"

others have been named:
Daisy, Tammy Fay (black w/f hiefer with black rings around her eyes), Heidi, Kramer, Opie, Eddie, Rudy Rudy Red Bull, Scooter, Fred, Dopey, Missi, Scarlette, Big Mama, Patch, Bonnie, and Lady.

I'm saving the traditional Elsie and Besse for a real motherly cow... ;)

Cows: Goldie, Fancy, Maggie, Nanny, Buffy

Bulls: Cash, Chunk, Buck, Rob, and the 2 red polls will be named Taum Sauk Mtn (Tommy) and Black River Gordon (Gordon). I used to have a reg red limo named Madison Mike (he came out of Madison County and the owners name was mike).

Calves: Annie, Rudy, Sox, Dusty, Dawn, Tanner, Santa, Charlie, Sammie, Wobbles, Rascal, Puff, Lucky, Candy, Miss Nosy, Girlie, Shelly, Stacy, Jane, and Jeanne.

If I can't come up with a name I ask the neighbors grandkids and they can name them in nothing flat (how else would a solid black calf be called Santa?)

Most of the time colorings or markings or their habits give them their name.

btw, have you thought about Shar? since she's out of sharpie? I've never known any Peggy's that didn't have an attitude so I'd be reluctant with that name.

My Dad always taught me to treat a bull with respect so my bulls are all named Mr. Bull.
Cows only get names based on description or behavior. Yesterday I had to remove a peice of wire that got wrapped on Slo Mo's foot. I was sure glad it wasn't Spooky's foot.
Dave

Bez!":m4cwkzk1 said:
I stay away from people names and generally give them names I cannot print here.

Bez!

Those are generally the types of names ours end up with, too! Although, for the most part, we only a few that have earned themselves lasting names. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Before we got into the purebred Red Angus we avoided names for the cows and just used numbers. Only four had names - 3 orphans and the heifer of the cow they latched onto. They were Angel, Princess, Cowntess and for the boy Monster. One other orphan was called Peppe for Peppe le Peu he was a lineback.;)

One of my favourite cow names from the purebreds we bought is Diva, I named last year's heifer calf Prima Donna. This year one name I am definitely using is Ms. B. Haven.;)

If it is between Shania and Peggy though go Peggy. Shania is awful.

Lets see we have: Birdie, Victoria,Kate, Pauline, Marshmellow,Skipper, Lacey, Hanna, Leah, Melanne, Bandit, Ace, Rachel, Rosie, Ronda, Kristy, Serena, 4-H steer Flash, Hey Bull for the herd bull.

aplusmnt":3rnyte2a said:
Cattleannie wrote
(Kind of why you'll never find a horse here named "Rocket, Buck, Spook, etc...seems like sometimes names can be prophesysing.)

Made me laugh remembering my sons first horse. He was around 10 his horse was the slowest, most docile animal you ever saw, a real babysitter for the kids but my Son named him Thunder....lol.

As far as the cow goes she is a solid black angus x Maine out of a bull called sharpie.

Sorry I don't have any names I just use numbers but your sons horse reminded me of one of mime. When I bought it it was named "cupcake". I just couldn't ride a horse name cupcake so I renamed it "Dixie"

I can't say as I blame you, Bama. I couldn't handle 'cupcake' as a name for a horse, either!

We ride Mules so my Mules are the ones that get those names that you can not print on here, my cows they are all pet in the field gentle so they get the nice Marry Moo type names :)

Outside of their reg names they pretty much all have the same name. **** for brains. We do have one bull named Baxter Black. Woman we sold him to renamed him we just don't why.

I only have 3 names for my cattle so far. Let's see

-I have one named Rifle because her tag is "270". Hunters will understand.

-1st hefier calf born this fall was named "Sadie" by my 3 year nephew. Named after his dog.

-The rest are named "Dumbask" (substitue last letter with a letter of your choseing) when they don't do what I want them to do.

:D :D

OH Baxter Black's a good name for a bull....I'm gonna hafta remember that, I got a yearlin without a name now....just might hafta name him that.

Latest posts