Name for New Heifer

• Shania

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Peggy

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

aplusmnt

Reaction score
Recently got a new bred heifer. Well we been trying to find a name for her, kids take it serious! So I was thinking you can google everything else might give it a try. I guess you can google and find anything!

Wondering what some popular names people on here have given their cows?

Some of ours are
Marry MOO
Sally Sue
Miss Bell
Miss T
Cupid (has a heart shaped white mark on forehead)
Bessy
Diamond
Ruby
Earl (only boy on place) Show steer

I am leaning toward Shania or Peggy

Shania is a terrible name for a cow! i think there is a black beefmaster named Shania...
i know there is one named Whitney Houston which is hilarious to me.

Pet aka Petunia
Curly
Peckerhead
Peanuts
Superman
Butterball
Annabelle
Smokey
Thelma and Louise (trouble makers)
Flop
Agnes

Its hard to go wrong with old lady names for cows. like Bess, Millie, Hattie, Ida, Mildred, Sally, Matilda, Montyne, Frieda, Maude, Myrtle, Marge, Eddie Lou, Billy Ruth, etc

Dirty rotten blankety-blank is the most common name around here. Usually applied to cow that bushes up, goes over/through fences, or tries to take you when processing her new calf. Also applied to bulls that fight each other when you're moving cattle out in the spring, (equal opportunity name).

Only named one here so far, and that was the now gone but never forgotten Frankencow.

Being as that name is one best left behind, Peggy sounds kind of cute and harmless... if you call her Shania she might live up to the name and be a fast little hussy when she grows up. ;-)
(Kind of why you'll never find a horse here named "Rocket, Buck, Spook, etc...seems like sometimes names can be prophesysing.)

Take care.

Bred heifer?

Money Maker
She's A Penny
Miss Big Bucks
College Fund
Dollar

Got any distinguishing marks?

Kids - gotta' take them serious some times - there will be a lot of takers on this one.

I stay away from people names and generally give them names I cannot print here.

Have fun with it.

Bez!

Cattleannie wrote
(Kind of why you'll never find a horse here named "Rocket, Buck, Spook, etc...seems like sometimes names can be prophesysing.)

Made me laugh remembering my sons first horse. He was around 10 his horse was the slowest, most docile animal you ever saw, a real babysitter for the kids but my Son named him Thunder....lol.

As far as the cow goes she is a solid black angus x Maine out of a bull called sharpie.

aplusmnt":g32fy48l said:
Cattleannie wrote

Made me laugh remembering my sons first horse. He was around 10 his horse was the slowest, most docile animal you ever saw, a real babysitter for the kids but my Son named him Thunder....lol.

As far as the cow goes she is a solid black angus x Maine out of a bull called sharpie.

in that case how about Penny

get it- sharpie is a pen...

Hmmm...I'd avoid Betty at all costs then if she's black.

Seem to remember a song called "Black Betty", and for one thing, when she had a child "dam thing gone wild".

Another thing was that there were a lot of "Bam de lam" going on in that song, and that just sounds bad applied to a cow (can hurt, too).

Take care. ;-)

If she's a 2004 model, the standard year abbreviation is "P". How about P2nia, or if you don;t want cutesy, Petunia

dun

Some good ideas there! I been thinking about Peggy and might change that to Peggy Sue!

Shania might get confusing when I start talking about how good looking Shania is wife might get confused and think I am talking about the cow instead of the singer :) Or when she clicks on the file Shania she might be thinking she is going to get info about our cow instead of a 1,000 pics of the singer. More I think of it Shania might get me in trouble. Wife is already suspicious that in 17 years only concert I agreed to take her to was Shania 3 different times.....lol. Any other concerts I was like; "won't your sister go with you?"

The ones I do name usually come from some action they do prior to naming. I have a bunch called butthead. I usually let the GF name them and she uses spices now.

Ginger
Pepper
Sassy (sassafras)
Sugar
Spice
and on and on.

I call them all butthead. :lol:

CattleAnnie":33m6pcsq said:
Hmmm...I'd avoid Betty at all costs then if she's black.

Seem to remember a song called "Black Betty", and for one thing, when she had a child "dam thing gone wild".

Another thing was that there were a lot of "Bam de lam" going on in that song, and that just sounds bad applied to a cow (can hurt, too).

Take care. ;-)
That is a good song! We usually try to combine the sire or dams names or if all else fails my brother uses family member's names!! However, that can get real confusing.

:D I had a Frosty( born in the winter) several orphans ( annie
and Heidi) calf with cotracted tendons ( styx) calf pulled
with a truck ( Diesel) , Cow with a bad udder ( Big tit)
amber, Bo ( she was a 10---- beautiful cow!!!! :nod: )
Heidi's calf and Heidi's calf- calf, among others! ;-)

We had an Angus cow that the neighbor lady insisted needed to be named. The cow had no personality at all, just a cow. That's what we named her JAC, her first heifr was named Jill

duin

That is a great idea Dun. Acronyms could open a ton of possibilites!

BABS (Bad attitude big sirloin)
Andi (Another nice dam inthemaking)
Sis (Sire is Super)
etc.

And the more I think about it, songs would be inspiriing too!

Peggy Sue
Little Suzie
Amanda

or celebrities

Anna Nicole
Lindsay
Terri
Marcia

Kids started namin ours a long time ago, not many get names now unless they have an unusual marking or do somethin to deserve a name.

Some of ours:
Aunt Jemima
Pokey
Molly
Sug
Spot
Dike Cow
Emory - my bull named after the man I got him from
Rhett Butler - Black angus bull we had several years ago
Big Red - red brangus bull from years past
Heintz - a current bull, ear tag is #57
Thelma
Orphan Annie
Panda - black baldie with eye patches
Freckles
Big head
Muffin - daughters show heifer she kept out of a pen of 5 bred
heifers. They all had bread names (Muffin, Cressant,
Biscuit, Donut, Pancake)
Popeye
Darlene
Arlene
Carlene
Wildchild

Namin them does sometimes come in handy when your referrin to a specific cow. Hubby tends to not remember ear tag numbers and what the cow looks like that matches that tag.

My kids have named the cows -

On the way home with two new bred cows last year my 8 year old nephew asked how much they weighed. I told him they weighed about 1150 each.
We rode for a minute and he replied =
We have over a ton of cows in the trailer -
Hence they were named -

Tonaburger 1 and Tonaburger 2

I have a crazy lil heifer and i named her psyco sally, flipped out one day at a show for no reason. Have one named Bevis, dont know where it came from but it stuck, have one named *itchy, her real name is vicky, well she is a real you know what!! Quppie is a sweetheart, the we have tree lil cousin couldn't say traci, came out tree.. once you find the name you'll have fun memberin; where it came from, or i do anyways