Cow News

Help Support CattleToday:

We had a cow escape from sale barn several years ago. She made her way two miles down Federal Blvd to Bloedorn lumber's yard where they finally got the escapee trapped. Pretty much right through the busiest part of town.

Had one get out of the stockyards here and wound up into the brushy scrub land around and spent nearly 2 years totally feral til someone finally got a few guys together and someone roped it. Think it was a big steer. I had one go over the back door of a 2 horse trailer... never dreamed it could get over it in the short space of a 2 horse Stidham trailer.... and had to get help to corral it.... in the middle of town.... very humiliating...

https://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-...-by-mysterious-oregon-cattle-mutilations.html

The udders appeared to have been removed with precision — straight, even cuts, as if made by a sharp object.

The reproductive systems had been cut out cleanly as well, and without disturbing other organs.

There was no indication of predator activity and perhaps strangest of all, scavenging animals appeared to have hardly touched these six cow carcasses found in a seven-day span this year on ranchland in rural Crook County.

Detectives with the Crook County Sheriff's Office, longtime ranchers and a Prineville veterinarian who reviewed evidence from an ongoing case say they're stumped by the "unnatural" deaths.

But the mutilated cattle might be more ordinary than they seem, according to Brian Dunning, a Bend-based podcaster committed to deflating wild claims.

"This reads like a very typical case," he said.

Crook County Sheriff John Gautney said his office has no leads but cautioned there's "no reason to panic."

"We've had cases like this over the years," Gautney said. "They seem to come in groups and then go away..........................

One got out of the sale yard and running down the side of the freeway. Enough of a break in trafic and it got caught be the sale owners elk rifle. Ten feet to the left and it would have caused a wreck.

Neighbor in SW Montana had one get away at the processing plant in Butte, Mt.
It took everyone on a merry chase through that end of town before it was captured (roped).

One our neighbors cows got out was gone a month or little longer, than came back like hey ya'll miss me. 😂 We were all looking for her no sign of her, nobody know were it was.

My uncle that got a call from a neighbor that said they had one of his cows. They went down to pick her and they said they didn't have her. Three years later they called him to come pick up his cow. They raised three calves out of her.

Here is another cow story as I can best recollect from dad. Dad was cow foreman for Warren Livestock out of Cheyenne back in the 60's. He had to go pick up a two year old steer that slipped through the fence of Warren Airforce Base. He had to almost sign his life away just to get in the gate. He jumps out his horse to rope the steer, well there was a big airman that thought he would just step out in front of this steer. Seeing he airman did deter the steer one bit; he just right motored over that airmen sending him head over heals. I bet that guy will never do that again. Dad eventually did get the steer caught and drug into the trailer.

Latest posts