Cow/Calf Sale Barn

Help Support CattleToday:

BobbyLummus

Reaction score
I buy cow/calf pairs from our local sale barn. I would like to hear some opinions on selling the calf off the cow right there on the spot when they go through the ring? for example if they pair brings $1350+ and the calf weighs 350lb (1) Looks like a way to get the cow cheap 2) See what the cow can do or has done 3) Possibly be light bred back

I will never knowingly buy a cow that has had a calf took off her that day. I have had too many issues with them leaving the farm hunting for the calf. Since a 350 lb calf can now be worth $700+ I dont think you will be able to buy much of a pair for $1350.

Thanks for opinions.. Regardless of the cost of cow/calf (not the point of question) Say the pair cost $2300- I'm interested in what you think about selling the calf on the spot -- I think I could ---- 1) to get the cow for alot less $$, 2) see what she has done in past , 3) potentially get light bred cow

I think the price of the pair does matter, as does the price that light calves are bringing. I've seen it done here quite a bit, but I'm not positive they weren't order buyers sending the cow straight to burger. Depending on prices, it may make more sense to just buy cheap open cows. If you buy a pair for $1500 and sell the calf for $500, you've just paid $1k for an open cow that's probably going to check your fences for you. Open cows may be the cheaper route. It does give you the chance to see that they can breed, so I do understand that advantage. Personally, I'd just keep the calf and sell it at weaning.

Around here, I rarely see a pair sell for less than they will bring individually. A good salebarn, if they can't get a premium for the pair they will split and sell individually. Occasionally there will be a pair sell at a bargain and a sharp buyer will catch it. After he buys it will have them sell calf and keep cow. This situation is very rare but does happen. In my area you will find very few good deals in pairs.

Latest posts