Cow age

Help Support CattleToday:

meohg

Reaction score
Can you tell the year that a cow was vaccinated by the ear tatoo or tag?

baby teeth=2-
2 teeth=2 years
4 teeth=3 years
6 teeth=4years
8 teeth=5 years
8 teeth with points worn =6 years
from then on you have to look at the amount of wear and factor it in

Thanks. I thought there might be some kind of date code in the tatoo.

In the bangs tattoo, yes. The last character is a number, which is the year of vaccination. For instance, this year it's a "7" (obviously). If she's marked with a "2", then she was vaccinated in '02, which would make the cow 5 or 6 years old. So yes, you can figure a cow's age within a year by the tattoo.

Like to use the tattoo and figure that the animal got vaccinated at six months...of course you have got to have a general idea of how old the cow is....a "2" could mean 2002 or 1992...a few years difference. Hopefully a fella can pick out the old gal...if not, why bother in the first place.
Just my two bits worth...Dmc

meohg":3w001oqt said:

If you're speaking of a Bang's vaccination/tatoo/tag - yes, you can. Bang's has to be given before 1 year of age to prevent false positives in subsequent testing.

msscamp":146vj5rb said:
meohg":146vj5rb said:

If you're speaking of a Bang's vaccination/tatoo/tag - yes, you can. Bang's has to be given before 1 year of age to prevent false positives in subsequent testing.

depending on the vaccine used.

I believe when using the strain 19 vaccine it needs to be given not older than 8 months to be absolutely sure there won't be any false positives.

RB51 can be given when older

Latest posts