Cover crop for grazing after chopping corn

Help Support CattleToday:

Rniemann

Reaction score
Anybody do this? If so, what is your favorite option and when do you graze? We are central Missouri. Thanks!

SWMO, works great. By chopping I'd assume your chopping it for silage not picking it. I've tried wheat with radish and also triticale, turnip, crimson clover mix. We've had a lot of problems with rye in row crop fields so we stay clear of it. They graze the turnips better then radish but they will eventually graze the radish if your looking to use a tillage radish. I felt that the triticale gave me more grazing then the wheat. How much I don't know, I can plant bin run wheat pretty cheep and cash flow is usually an issue so I've used it more. I've tried the crimson clover multiple times and do not think i get my money's worth out of it. Looking to try some different legume this year.

Having enough moisture to get the cover crop growing can be a problem in August, but the earlier the better. Here there is a huge difference in the amount of forage if its planted in aug vs even early sept.

Latest posts