Cover Crop Question - Newbie

Help Support CattleToday:

Rain Update for everyone:

We just received an inch of rain tonight and so I am thanking the Lord! We may get a bit more rain overnight so it has been a great last 6 hours or so.

I believe this rain will allow the rest of my seeds to germinate while allowing those that have germinated the much-needed rain they need for growth. The next 10-15 days are going to be fun to watch. The great news is that my grown moisture was enough to keep the seedlings in good shape so I will get to see what happens next.
How is your cover crop doing?
I planted late because of no rain until end of Oct. seeded cereal rye, hairy vetch, turnips and beans.
Cereal rye is germinating good, vetch and turnips are starting to sprout. There are a few beans sprouting.
We are in zone 8A. had a cold snap end of Nov into Dec. but has been in the mid 40's to mid 50's.

So
How is your cover crop doing?
I planted late because of no rain until end of Oct. seeded cereal rye, hairy vetch, turnips and beans.
Cereal rye is germinating good, vetch and turnips are starting to sprout. There are a few beans sprouting.
We are in zone 8A. had a cold snap end of Nov into Dec. but has been in the mid 40's to mid 50's.
everything started growing but the cold weather really slowed the growth down considerably. I really didn't get the pre-winter growth that I was hoping for so I have had to buy about 20 round bales.

I will have to wait and see how the cover crop comes up in early spring to see if it was worth the initial investment. My late fall growth only got to ankle-deep or so which my cows mowed down pretty quickly.

I hope that your planting takes off.

Latest posts