Is it to late to plant a cover crop?

Help Support CattleToday:

If you're north of Dallas longitude, probably. But you wouldn't be the first to take a gamble.

I would think it will be slow but will germinate but should go well as you approach spring. Thinking that you are similar latitude to me except north of the equator.

Ken

What the real world dictates and what Texas Agrilife says are very often 2 opposite things but here's TAMU's thoughts on it...

Choose your planting date wisely. The date you choose to plant winter wheat can make or break the season.

A good rule of thumb for growers is to plant around October 15 if you live north of Interstate 40.

From I-40 to I-20, the best planting dates are between October 20 and November 1.

Growers south of I-20 should begin planting around November 10 but no later than November 15.

Planting too early may result in excessive fall growth, which depletes the soil of moisture and nutrients. It can also increase the risk of diseases.

Planting too late leaves the crop susceptible to winter injury.

I just drilled in the last of my oats last week. Over a month late due to dry soil. If I didn't already have oats in the shed I would have went with wheat being this late. I despise mixing blends of annual seed. You tend to get one that out competes the other stuff. So a good portion is a waste. I would pick wheat and go to it now.

I despise mixing blends of annual seed. You tend to get one that out competes the other stuff.
I did that one year in San Jac County. Oats, wheat, clover, ryegrass I think. All germinated pretty good but the ryegrass soon took over. Tried it the next year without the ryegrass and found I got some of each but not a lot of any of the 3. I just did ryegrass after those 2 failures.

What the real world dictates and what Texas Agrilife says are very often 2 opposite things but here's TAMU's thoughts on it...

Choose your planting date wisely. The date you choose to plant winter wheat can make or break the season.

A good rule of thumb for growers is to plant around October 15 if you live north of Interstate 40.

From I-40 to I-20, the best planting dates are between October 20 and November 1.

Growers south of I-20 should begin planting around November 10 but no later than November 15.

Planting too early may result in excessive fall growth, which depletes the soil of moisture and nutrients. It can also increase the risk of diseases.

That is the reason to plant as early as possible and winter injury is your gamble at this point. Might take into consideration your plans for Spring/Summer.

If you want grain after grazing, you would need to topdress around the end of February or early March. Yes, grain production will be hurt but for us, it was the forage for cattle through the winter we wanted. The grain (from wheat) was the gravy but usually cut it for hay just as we did oats.

That's interesting. I am south of I-20 and all the old timers say if you want any fall grazing you better plant by September 15th. If you waited till today to plant you won't get much of any grazing this year. I've done it. We planted September 30th this year, even the stuff over seeded into coastal and it's up about 6 inches right now.

That's interesting. I am south of I-20 and all the old timers say if you want any fall grazing you better plant by September 15th. If you waited till today to plant you won't get much of any grazing this year. I've done it. We planted September 30th this year, even the stuff over seeded into coastal and it's up about 6 inches right now.
I believe that information is probably geared towards a grain crop.

Latest posts