Coughing and runny nose in a calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Hi,
I just got a Dexter cow and her baby from an auction. They both were fine when they got here but it's been a couple of weeks now and the baby has a thick runny nose. I have heard both of them coughing. What can I do for them in short of calling the vet?
I don't have a head catch so I was wondering if there's some medicine that I can put on her food. Thanks in advance. Kim

Your cow and calf might have nothing more than reactions to pollen or smoke from the fires ya'll had, but personally, I don't adopt a wait an see approach once serious coughing sets up.

If you are worried, load them up and take them to the vet. He'll have the facilities to treat them and you'll save yourself a farm call charge. I don't know about GA, but here it won't cost you that much. Vets here don't charge nearly as much to treat cows as they do pets and horses.

Oh, and while you have them at the vets, ask him if he thinks they ought to be vaccinated, and if so, have him do it while you are there.

Just my two cents.

Alice :)

well if they were mine, from what you are seeing, i would say they have a form of shipping fever, which in the calf could get serious and set him back...........you really need to get working equipment, at least a headgate to diagnose and treat these type of things, but like alice said, load them up and make a trip to vet, where he can take temps and give you his opinion.
let us know what you find out...................

Might be spelling this wrong but I have had good luck with AEROMYOSIN pellets I get it in a 25 pound bag at local feed store . Mix a cupful with their grain 2x a day for a week or so. If the cough isn't too bad or try what they all said :roll:

Squeeze them in a gate and give him a shot of antibiotic. If you dont have a gate on a fence that you can squeeze them into, you could also rope the calf and throw him, or get some help and squeeze him against a wall with your body.

One thing for sure. Unless you are pretty sure its allergies, you need to start with the antibiotics sooner than later.

Latest posts