Cost per foot of fence

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms":1bpf4gja said:
fence_it":1bpf4gja said:
Around here fixed knot woven wont get built for less than 4.50/ft.

Can't expect a guy to work for free. He's got to make it worthwhile and profitable for him.

Using fixed knot HT 9-49-12 will cost right at a $1.00 a foot for materials. So you should be able to make it on $4.00 a foot.

A agree with grits figure on raw materials. Long and short is its worth what you can get someone to pay. If you're part time working out of the back of your truck or have you devoted everything to doing it right and honest.
Contrary to beliefs. You don't set your price. Your market does.
Grit builds his own fence for the same reason I don't drink in restaurants. I don't care to pay 5 x for a beer.

callmefence":27yf23wz said:
True Grit Farms":27yf23wz said:
fence_it":27yf23wz said:
Around here fixed knot woven wont get built for less than 4.50/ft.

Can't expect a guy to work for free. He's got to make it worthwhile and profitable for him.

Using fixed knot HT 9-49-12 will cost right at a $1.00 a foot for materials. So you should be able to make it on $4.00 a foot.

A agree with grits figure on raw materials. Long and short is its worth what you can get someone to pay. If you're part time working out of the back of your truck or have you devoted everything to doing it right and honest.
Grit builds his own fence for the same reason I don't drink in restaurants. I don't care to pay 5 x for a beer.

But one of these days Fenceman I'm going have to pay someone to build fence, and you still won't be drinking beer in a restaurant. How else can you afford to have a 2 for 1 happy hour.

True Grit Farms":3mxo9cz7 said:
callmefence":3mxo9cz7 said:
True Grit Farms":3mxo9cz7 said:

But one of these days Fenceman I'm going have to pay someone to build fence, and you still won't be drinking beer in a restaurant. How else can you afford to have a 2 for 1 happy hour.

Well...... You could just let us set you up with the right fence now.. and not have to worry about it someday. :D

True Grit Farms":hhxfywb6 said:
I must of missed something? Is FFS cooking steaks on the lake for everyone?

I'll bring steaks for anyone that wants to come eat, but you're gonna have to be satisfied with a LonghornXAngus ribeye. :cowboy: We also have ribs/brisket capability on board.

callmefence":84a8nrl3 said:
Be interesting to hear how much folks think a new fence should cost..

Ground that you can get to with an atv I would pay $3 a foot for a 6 strand barbwire. Places that you have to pack everything in on my back I would give $6 a foot. That latter price I am willing to pay keeps going up as I age.

a guy i know had his place done a few years ago. All the major companies and guys are at around 4.00 - 4.25 for 8 strand HT on 20' post spacings.

I visited with a regional salesman from Bekaert for a few hours last night. He has been in the fence business his entire adult life, and is in his 60's now. I consider him to be one of the more knowledgeable folks in the business, so I trust his opinion on this subject...... He thinks that TX is the most underpriced on installation labor, followed closely by KY. I would have to say that based on this conversation, and what contractors have shared with me, I would agree.

:D
callmefence":3ixu7kg0 said:
True Grit Farms":3ixu7kg0 said:
It's not how much you make, it's how much you keep that matters.

Being able to get home before dark and sleep in your own bed every night..... priceless

True, but sitting in a hot tub with my sweetie in Gunter Hollow TN isn't all bad either.

True Grit Farms":2nuvqze1 said:
callmefence":2nuvqze1 said:
True Grit Farms":2nuvqze1 said:
It's not how much you make, it's how much you keep that matters.

Being able to get home before dark and sleep in your own bed every night..... priceless

True, but sitting in a hot tub with my sweetie in Gunter Hollow TN isn't all bad either.

I'm sure it ain't to bad..I was talking bout work...
Carry on.... :nod:

callmefence":1wt7uj8y said:
True Grit Farms":1wt7uj8y said:
callmefence":1wt7uj8y said:

I spent about 125 nights away from home last year. All but about 20 of those, my family was with me. This year, the only trips I'll have with none of my family along are the trip to TX in January (I did vist my sister for a night while I was down) and game fence job that we have scheduled for this fall.....if the dozer work gets done. I'm sure my dad will be along for parts of that job, and my wife will make regular deliveries for us, too. I'll probably be gone a total of 40 nights on that job, but it's only 5 hours from home, so I'll get back on a regular basis. I feel like we have a good balance, with our family and our goals taken into account. I have to be in the UK for a week this summer, so I'm taking my daughter, and we are planning on spending an extra week taking a train tour of some of Europe. That just wouldn't be possible if I didn't work some long hours and weekends, and take the occasional high paying out of town job. Kate is on spring break this week, so just as soon as the rain hits mid week, we are outa here for a few days of burning as much gas on the water as we can. Some of the best waterfalls are a long ways up river, and the girls really like to find them.
We all go about it a diffrent way, but I don't think any of them are wrong, so long as it makes you happy.

Farm Fence Solutions":2jkf6ehi said:
callmefence":2jkf6ehi said:
True Grit Farms":2jkf6ehi said:

I spent about 125 nights away from home last year. All but about 20 of those, my family was with me. This year, the only trips I'll have with none of my family along are the trip to TX in January (I did vist my sister for a night while I was down) and game fence job that we have scheduled for this fall.....if the dozer work gets done. I'm sure my dad will be along for parts of that job, and my wife will make regular deliveries for us, too. I'll probably be gone a total of 40 nights on that job, but it's only 5 hours from home, so I'll get back on a regular basis. I feel like we have a good balance, with our family and our goals taken into account. I have to be in the UK for a week this summer, so I'm taking my daughter, and we are planning on spending an extra week taking a train tour of some of Europe. That just wouldn't be possible if I didn't work some long hours and weekends, and take the occasional high paying out of town job. Kate is on spring break this week, so just as soon as the rain hits mid week, we are outa here for a few days of burning as much gas on the water as we can. Some of the best waterfalls are a long ways up river, and the girls really like to find them.
We all go about it a diffrent way, but I don't think any of them are wrong, so long as it makes you happy.

Absolutely.. whatever floats your boat. :D I've done my share of living out of a motel room. It's been 20 years. No I spent a week in a motel around 13 years ago at on a Comanche peak job. I hated it. It's very rare for me to be to far from the house to not be able to run home and check on things are grab some lunch. I rarely eat lunch though.... course to be able to work in a small rural community for a extended time......you gotta do what you say.

callmefence":3luxaiyk said:
Farm Fence Solutions":3luxaiyk said:
callmefence":3luxaiyk said:

Absolutely.. whatever floats your boat. :D I've done my share of living out of a motel room. It's been 20 years. No I spent a week in a motel around 13 years ago at on a Comanche peak job. I hated it. It's very rare for me to be to far from the house to not be able to run home and check on things are grab some lunch. I rarely eat lunch though.... course to be able to work in a small rural community for a extended time......you gotta do what you say.

That's the truth. I'd say that we build more than half of the fence that gets hired done in our area. Some of these old codgers can be a pain, but keeping them happy is good for business.