Cost per foot of fence

Help Support CattleToday:

M-5":1uig8y8t said:
callmefence":1uig8y8t said:
M-5":1uig8y8t said:
An able bodied person that can't build fence is not just a freeloader. Should cost 1.00 to 2.00 a foot for materials and 2 -8 hr days.

We've been rock drilling for 21/2 days on
1431'.
You should move.

Somewhere where everyone thinks they can build fence?. Folks here might try. But they'll be calling before long. :nod:

i put an add out that I would do it for 2.50 / ft including materials to see how many responses I'd get.

I had about 10 people email me / call me and tell me their project. I told them the cost and everyone of them acted like it was the the most expensive thing they ever heard of. I figured i'd get a few jobs from being so cheap but nope. that's nearly doing it for free.

ddd75":1557tljt said:
i put an add out that I would do it for 2.50 / ft including materials to see how many responses I'd get.

I had about 10 people email me / call me and tell me their project. I told them the cost and everyone of them acted like it was the the most expensive thing they ever heard of. I figured i'd get a few jobs from being so cheap but nope. that's nearly doing it for free.

I can build 5 barb on good clean ground and long pulls for 2.50 and make very good money.
Folks don't want cheap. They want someone that's known. Part of it is quality. Part is who's going to be coming on thier land. I have no add, no website and we haven't ran out of work in years. It took a long time to get to that point.

callmefence":16isewao said:
M-5":16isewao said:
An able bodied person that can't build fence is not just a freeloader. Should cost 1.00 to 2.00 a foot for materials and 2 -8 hr days.

1431'.

Could you use a skid steer with a jackhammer attachment?

callmefence":bxj68w9t said:
ddd75":bxj68w9t said:

I can build 5 barb on good clean ground and long pulls for 2.50 and make very good money.
Folks don't want cheap. They want someone that's known. Part of it is quality. Part is who's going to be coming on thier land. I have no add, no website and we haven't ran out of work in years. It took a long time to get to that point.

It's not the owner that you have to worry about. Over 90 percent of the stealing done around here is committed by someone that's been on the farm for one reason or another. Keep the people away and crime stays away.

True Grit Farms":uuw8ddqa said:
callmefence":uuw8ddqa said:
M-5":uuw8ddqa said:

1431'.

Not really. I mean you could dig a hole.
What we are after is about 21/2" hole to drive a post in. It's not usually as bad as this one. Sometimes you get on a seam of rock that's harder than normal. Or god help you if you get on a seam of Flint.

Usually the drill will blow a hole in a few minutes. This one is taking 30 minutes to go 30". I won't make a dime this week.
That's just part of it. You grind through and hope the next one is better.

I'm going to the bull sale today+&&#_ it.

callmefence":iutdi7k0 said:
True Grit Farms":iutdi7k0 said:
callmefence":iutdi7k0 said:
1431'.

Not really. I mean you could dig a hole.
What we are after is about 21/2" hole to drive a post in. It's not usually as bad as this one. Sometimes you get on a seam of rock that's harder than normal. Or god help you if you get on a seam of Flint.

Usually the drill will blow a hole in a few minutes. This one is taking 30 minutes to go 30". I won't make a dime this week.
That's just part of it. You grind through and hope the next one is better.

I'm going to the bull sale today+&&#_ it.

I like going to bull sales, but I don't like working for someone else for nothing.

In the last year I've built somewhere around 12,000' of fence for myself, about 1/2 border 1/2 cross. All of this is 5 strand barb with pipe corners and pipe line post. Building fence isn't back breaking work once you get a system down it's fairly easy. I always try to find a helper but lots of times can't or they only last a few days. $2.50 is the going rate for labor and materials around here which I think is fair. Problem is most of the new fence I see is loose after a couple years and it seems people don't believe in line post. We've got 2 contractors in the area I would trust and they stay 3-6 months behind. Fence and FFS look like they do top notch work and would definitely be worth the money.
We're finishing up 3,000' today that will end up costing me around $3,500. Pretty reasonable when you figure it would have been $11,250 to have it cleared and built by contractors. That's figuring $1.25 pf materials, $1.25 pf labor, and a $1.25 pf for dozer to clear.

callmefence":2b7psz8q said:
Be interesting to hear how much folks think a new fence should cost..

Yep. It's only fair if everyone gets to hear what we charge, we should get to hear what they'd pay.

Steel and timber are both up, which means labor costs follow. I have raised my prices quite a bit in the last year, and still no shortage of work. I just bid one a dollar a foot higher than the next guy, and we got the job. Like Fence said, most just want it done right. They will get impatient and call someone else.......Once.

Bright Raven":11y7lyj1 said:
I used my Application on my phone and arrived at 1,837 linear feet of fence.

Luke or Andy. What is the per foot cost you guys charge for woven wire fence? Treated Wooden, driven posts, 7 feet long. 12 foot span between posts. 4 slight changes of direction. Otherwise, straight pull. One strand barb on top.

With Tornado Fixed Knot, a wood post every 12' is a waste of firewood. Imagine assisting a breech delivery of a past term small mouth bass.....coming fins first, and you've got to glove up and go in. That's how tight the wire should be.

Farm Fence Solutions":2fduwldq said:
Bright Raven":2fduwldq said:

Luke or Andy. What is the per foot cost you guys charge for woven wire fence? Treated Wooden, driven posts, 7 feet long. 12 foot span between posts. 4 slight changes of direction. Otherwise, straight pull. One strand barb on top.

With Tornado Fixed Knot, a wood post every 12' is a waste of firewood. Imagine assisting a breech delivery of a past term small mouth bass.....coming fins first, and you've got to glove up and go in. That's how tight the wire should be.

Come on... the gut comment yesterday was bad enough. Don't go screwing up fishing.

callmefence":3icog0gs said:
Farm Fence Solutions":3icog0gs said:
Bright Raven":3icog0gs said:

Come on... the gut comment yesterday was bad enough. Don't go screwing up fishing.

Everybody knows that bass lay eggs and don't have hair.

Cost share in my county would be half of the actual material up to what ever you were given, and zero would be paid for labor. Say you got $2500 for fencing, then you'd spend $2500 for a total of $5000 in fencing. You could choose to have it strung, but that would be out of my pocket. Seems like I have about 80 cents a foot in 5 strand fence, with pressure treated corners. I'd choose to fence it myself, and get well over a mile of fence for my $2500 investment. I don't blame you for going woven, and I don't blame you for hiring it done.

I figured 5 strand barbed wire fence at $.64 cents a foot for materials. That's at $35 a roll for wire and $3.50 for T post and $300 for two corners and one H brace. I would think you could make a living on selling it for $2.56 a foot. A 1/4 for materials, 1/4 for labor, 1/4 for maintenance and equipment, and a 1/4 profit. I'm not willing to pay someone what I can do myself. It won't be long till I'm going to have to pay the price of age though.

True Grit Farms":1bqcnh8k said:
I figured 5 strand barbed wire fence at $.64 cents a foot for materials. That's at $35 a roll for wire and $3.50 for T post and $300 for two corners and one H brace. I would think you could make a living on selling it for $2.56 a foot. A 1/4 for materials, 1/4 for labor, 1/4 for maintenance and equipment, and a 1/4 profit. I'm not willing to pay someone what I can do myself. It won't be long till I'm going to have to pay the price of age though.

I believe your number is closer. I haven't figured it in a while. I actually don't have nearly that much in corners. Probably $70-80.

True Grit Farms":1l3qcet5 said:

Post spacing?
I pay almost twice that on barbwire.
Spot on tpost price.
Spot on end brace.. corner would be double.

What's the H brace for?
No stiffener post?

Bigfoot":3b20fldg said:
Cost share in my county would be half of the actual material up to what ever you were given, and zero would be paid for labor. Say you got $2500 for fencing, then you'd spend $2500 for a total of $5000 in fencing. You could choose to have it strung, but that would be out of my pocket. Seems like I have about 80 cents a foot in 5 strand fence, with pressure treated corners. I'd choose to fence it myself, and get well over a mile of fence for my $2500 investment. I don't blame you for going woven, and I don't blame you for hiring it done.

My guess is cost share is paying Raven 50% of the total job.

callmefence":39d1613b said:
Be interesting to hear how much folks think a new fence should cost..
When you're uninformed about things like fencing, I rely on folks like yourself. You give me a price and I trust that it is a competitive price and we begin the job. Seldom will even call anyone else. We develop a working relationship and you'll always get my business.

Latest posts