Cost of Hay in Drought areas

Help Support CattleToday:

Angus Cowman

Reaction score
the Great State of Mental Distress ( Florida)
I was wondering what hay was costing in the areas hit by drought
I had a man from texas call me and inquire if I would be interested in selling and delivering hay down there to his place said he would probably need 3-500 bales to get him thru til the end of September
I did the math and figured I would have to charge atleast $66 pr 4x5 bale of mixed grass hay by the time I got the frieght on it

Is hay really selling for that right now

AC, I talked with a guy yesterday here that has ties in Oklahoma and Texas. He said that some were paying close to $100.00 a roll by the time freight was entered into it. Fuel is driving the price almost as much as the shortage of grass.
Bear

bear":1ikzg724 said:
AC, I talked with a guy yesterday here that has ties in Oklahoma and Texas. He said that some were paying close to $100.00 a roll by the time freight was entered into it. Fuel is driving the price almost as much the shortage of grass.
Bear
Yep Bear I was figuring it was going to be right at $40 pr bale frieght cost
the dead haed home is what hurts if I had something for a backhual It would help offset the cost a little

We're having to pay $87. a bale for 5x6' rounds of heavily fertilized & irrigated bermuda delivered here from supplier about 60 miles from here. Up from $67. a bale delivered last year.

Due to drought our supplier said it would probably take the rest of the summer to get our 10 semi-loads here. His production is 1/3 to 1/2 what it was last year.

Hay is dirt cheap here and there is lots of it. If anyone can work out the frieght I will find it and make arrangements for free. Say some 4x5 bales in the paper today for $12 but there is lots for $15. 4x4 for $10. I can't grow it for that.

kenny thomas":4xr8ytqv said:
Hay is dirt cheap here and there is lots of it. If anyone can work out the frieght I will find it and make arrangements for free. Say some 4x5 bales in the paper today for $12 but there is lots for $15. 4x4 for $10. I can't grow it for that.
Kenny if it gets that low here I'll be broke, broke, broke....from buying to many cows. :D

It seems like it is time to check rail prices from Virginia. Rail is usually cheaper than trucking. i am speaking out my butt because I have no idea the amount that can be fitted on a flatbed rail car. Right now in central to s.e. texas it is costing about $50.00 a 5x5 roll of fertilized coastal advertised on the hay exchange. Luckily I still have some left over and will only need about thirty rolls.

AC i sent a load of rye grass for 15.00 and they pay freight, my mix grass is 25.00 and pearl millet is 25.00. I can't seem to bale enough bermuda grass to keep my local people happy.

mikegahr":m8aogfb0 said:
AC i sent a load of rye grass for 15.00 and they pay freight, my mix grass is 25.00 and pearl millet is 25.00. I can't seem to bale enough bermuda grass to keep my local people happy.
You been getting any rain, Mike
we are getting pretty dry here also pastures are still ok but 2nd cutting is looking weak unless we get some moisture
got my millet planted last tuesday checked what I No Tilled and it was up yesterday haven't checked what I broadcast to see if it is up or not
I try not to sell anything for less than $25pr bale and I prefer $30 or more on my good hay

It never seems to amaze me how hay people can sell any round bale for under $50 a bale considering the high cost of diesel, fertilizer, equipment, & labor.

Guess some producers just don't figure all their costs when pricing hay under $25 a bale.

JMO. ;)

Last year, just figuring fuel, twine, and minor equipment maintenance, we ended up right at $10/bale to cut, rake, bale, and haul - fertilizer, seed, and labor not included. This year so far we've been averaging only about 2/3 what we rolled last year from the same fields. At that rate and this year's fuel costs we're going to be a lot closer to $20/bale for 4X5's. We had that 14+ inches of rain in a week and a half earlier and then not a drop for almost a month. Had two showers yesterday and through the night that totaled .8" that all ran into the cracks - looks as dry as it did before it rained. Supposed to get hit with severe thunderstorms through the night again, hopefully it will just give us a lot of rain!

Running Arrow Bill":i6mmenpw said:
It never seems to amaze me how hay people can sell any round bale for under $50 a bale considering the high cost of diesel, fertilizer, equipment, & labor.

Guess some producers just don't figure all their costs when pricing hay under $25 a bale.

JMO. ;)
Bill
my cost is running right around $14-$15 pr bale to cut rake and bale so that is why I prefer $30 per bale but at $25 I am covering cost on the hay I sell
because I do it on shares and at $25 most of them pick it up in the field if delivered it is higher
on my own hay that I do on the ranch I am running close to $21 pr bale on it because of the fert cost
also that is figuring 5 bales pr acre most of mine average 6++ pr acres so my cost is just a little less

That is like these guys that custom bale around here for 12-14 pr bale they aren't making any money

FIT2 ours is running anywherew from 10-20% less I have seen some that is running 40% less for some guys

Running Arrow Bill":1t61wxow said:

JMO. ;)

I think they may be afraid to calculate it, but they still know they are selling at a loss.
Problem here is few people know how to store hay and it usually turns to **** the second summer. Hay sitting on the edge of the field near some trees with clover or alfalfa in it gets black and then white... and sells for $15 to $20 a 4x5 roll right now.
I built another 40x60 last fall. I often entertain the neighbors by being different - - my hay is in the shed and my cattle are in the willows.

Mr. Bill the only reason i sold the 15.00 hay was it was cheaper to bale it was it was where i was planting pearl millet and it was cheaper to bale then run a disc over the feild 3 times then a do all once. AC been rained out twice the last week, this last rain was around 2".

AC I wish I could fertilize for $30 an acre. Down here it has been running me from $60-70 an acre and with the dry weather yields are running fron 3-4 rolls per acre. I figure I easily have $35 a roll in it.

Weather liars were wrong again. The thunderstorms we were predicted to get last night hit a couple hours late and about 400+ miles to the north! Oh well, that means we will be able to bale today - unless it rains! :roll:

LaneFarms":30v4gkqm said:
AC I wish I could fertilize for $30 an acre. Down here it has been running me from $60-70 an acre and with the dry weather yields are running fron 3-4 rolls per acre. I figure I easily have $35 a roll in it.
Lane Farms my fert is running me closer to 60pr acre but have an annual yield of 11 to 13 bales per yr so that brings my pr bale cost down
worst yr I have had was a 10 bale yeild
now if we hit a drought then yes my cost will increase dramatically
I have done some non fertilized fields for some guys and their yeild are about 3 bales pr acre on first cut and that is usually all the get is one cutting
They usually don't have me bale because I have a minnimuim of bales pr acre that I charge

Wish I could send you our rain. We got 8 inches last weekend and flooded everthing. Then we got 1/2 inch friday night and 3/4 inches sat night. Just got done raining again this am. We have been wet for 4 years in a row now. I am about ready to trade someone for a dry farm.

On the other hand the grass sure does grow when it is wet. Just cant get hay up.

Lane Farms my fert is running me closer to 60pr acre but have an annual yield of 11 to 13 bales per yr so that brings my pr bale cost down
worst yr I have had was a 10 bale yeild
now if we hit a drought then yes my cost will increase dramatically
I have done some non fertilized fields for some guys and their yeild are about 3 bales pr acre on first cut and that is usually all the get is one cutting
They usually don't have me bale because I have a minnimuim of bales pr acre that I charge[/quote]

My 60/acre is per cutting. My first cutting averaged just shy of 3.5 rolls per acre.

Latest posts