Cost of Bermuda Sprigs

Help Support CattleToday:

longhorntractor

Reaction score
Howdy,
Does anyone know the cost of Bermuda Spriggs? I am trying to see if it makes more sense to plant or seed. I am in Central Texas. Thanks

Commercial planter will charge 90 to 100 dollars an acre to plant and sprig, it is not a good year to sprig or seed bermuda, even we get an inch or two the moisture will not last in the soil, because there is not any underground moisture, the sprigs will not live long in dry soil. :2cents:

It can vary depending on the variety you choose. For your area I would suggest Coastal. It's usually cheaper because it's been around longer, and has excellent production for the cost. I'm not familiar with prices at this time in your area but I would compare it to Midland 99. If going for hat production Tifton 85 can't be beat but it's usually much higher.

It makes more sense to sprig if you will fertilize it heavy. You should be able to get enough Coastal sprigs to sprig 10 acres heavy for about $350 to $400(Not sure of the amount of sprigs because I have bought them by the trailer load). It would have to rain a lot more here for me to do either right now.

Latest posts