Corrosive ammo

Help Support CattleToday:

Hook

Reaction score
A small one light town in central florida
I recently picked up a mosin in 7.62x54 that came with a sardine ( surplus)can of ammo but it's got the corrosive primers. I'm dying to shoot it but I don't want to break it down and full on cleaning on it just for shooting a handful of rounds.
Anyone got a better idea besides buying some more ammo. I've heard you can separate the stock and soak the works in hot water easily enough and oil it after that but....

How about some TC number 9 blackpowder solvent?? Works good on muzzle loaders and black powder.

I have the MN rifle,sniper rifle and also the carbine.
I reload for them it.s not a quik thing taking all the wood of to clean in hot water.
Love those ol rifles though. And like said seeing the flame coming from the barrel is awesome!

Cal

Is that the same as the Russion SKS? I was just looking at one, cheap enough with a case of rounds.. Figure I might be able to have a little fun

I have no idea which type of bullet it was, but it sure was a site to see. The gun was stolen so we only shot it a few times. At least the young man spent 5 years in prison for stealing it. However he threw it out car window and ruined it.

Nesikep":6ht1ytzj said:
Is that the same as the Russion SKS? I was just looking at one, cheap enough with a case of rounds.. Figure I might be able to have a little fun
No, they a hinged integrated magazine and the round is closer to an 30.06
The sks is 7.62x39 and has a detachable magazine

Clean it is the only option that I know of. How can you only shoot one a couple of times? I have an m44 carbine and a rifle and I usually go through at least 20 rounds when I shoot them before I can make myself quit. Word of advice though, the fmj rounds can go through three feet of a sick bull and stil have enough energy to go through a cattle trailer. :bang: That was a bad day.

Only shot a couple times since it was late when we got home with it. Then life took over. Hubby was in quality control of large ready mix company and was in negotiatons to move to a new start up company. The guns stolen was actually done on the early morning of his first day at the new job! Seems neighbor watched him leave, but didn't know I was living there. Duh, guess he missed that huge wedding in the yard a few months earlier.

highgrit":2eoy6jre said:
How about some TC number 9 blackpowder solvent?? Works good on muzzle loaders and black powder.

Exactly! No need to tear the gun down and soak it in water. Use a liquid blackpowder solvent & cleaner. My 1917 Remington made Nagant has probably only seen corrosive ammo. After shooting, just a couple soaked patches of blackpowder solvent down the bore, clean patch it until dry, then followed by a good oil. Next day or two, recheck the rifle. I shoot a ton of blackpowder cartridge rifles and pistols and they all get cleaned with blackpowder solvent and oiled.

Latest posts