Corriente Cattle in Cold weather.

Help Support CattleToday:

3waycross

Reaction score
Ran into a friend yesterday that used Corrientes on all his first calf heifers.No pulls yet, and heifers coming thru real good. But, he says, his calf mortality is very high. We're having a series of storms and wind that won't let up and he tells me he is losing week old calves from being too thin skinned and not enough hair. Sounds like the calf losses will negate any gains from using these bulls. Anybody north of the Mason Dixon having this same problem?

Since these things came up with South and Central Ameica via Mexico I'd say they probably are "warm weather" cattle. Doesn't sound like they are going to perform well in your area at least not in the winter time. Just a thought. :?

Sorry but that sounds about the same as trying to use a jersey on first calf heifers. Just a waste of 1 years production time. He's better off using a low BW british bull.

TNMasterBeefProducer":32781zww said:
He would be better off using a Salers bull. They are the easiest calving breed out there, docile, and they got a thick hair coat in winter time. They would survive there.

I agree. Don't like the idea of putting out a whole calf crop with inferior genetics. But the Corriente thing is supposed to be ALL about the breedback plus calving ease. We have a lot of that going on around here. The problem is even bred to british based cows the little buggers are not making it this year. Worst winter in anyones memory.

What's funny is the same guys who are using the Corrientes won't use the Salers cause they say they are too crazy. The darned Corriente bulls need to be in buffalo fence when they are not with the cows.

3waycross":2q4z3th8 said:
Ran into a friend yesterday that used Corrientes on all his first calf heifers.No pulls yet, and heifers coming thru real good. But, he says, his calf mortality is very high. We're having a series of storms and wind that won't let up and he tells me he is losing week old calves from being too thin skinned and not enough hair.
  • >>Sounds like the calf losses will negate any gains from using these bulls.<<
Anybody north of the Mason Dixon having this same problem?
used pretty good across the country as rodeo stock ,im sure as far north as canada but sounds like he is cheating himself bigtime using one on heifer's. a even a low birthweight angus might be a gamble but its worth it too forsee any future calving problems. somefolks go to extremes for fear of that first calf. and using a corriente want really reveil em. when he uses a different bull on the second set he might have his trouble

My sister and her husband raise corriente and corriente x longhorns on their ranch up in Idaho. They don't seem to have any weather issues with them. They raise rodeo stock and sell exclusively to rodeo stock buyers. They calve out in rough country where it is hard to keep an eye on them so they like the corriente's easy calving ability. Small and very active calves.

[

I think Gelbvieh might do well in that weather. They seem to have a good cold and heat tolerance as well.[/quote]

He has a lot of GV influence was just obsessed about breed back, am guessing he'll go a different direction this year. Not many Salers around here anymore, only bull I've seen is about 6 or 7 and he is a 7 frame high-headed son of a gun.

GelbviehXSalers cross aint nothing better ;-)[/quote]

Partner has GV/Shorthorn they are real good cattle, but he used the wrong GV bull and we pulled a ton of calves. Crossing them on RA now

Old rodeo rider couple miles from me raises them for rodeo stock only has a few but never herd him complain about the cold. as for long hair versus short hair, a good straw pack and wind break and the " southern breeds " do well.

Latest posts