Consistancy, Quality & Crossbreeding

Help Support CattleToday:

and another thing for the record,.. if you are weaning off 650lb angus calves at 6 months, i'd be extremely surprised,... lying isn't getting you anywhere with people who are cattle smart my friend... GROW UP

[email protected]

I never said 6 months did I? but i will do it in 8 months. As far as 750lb calf from 2000lb cow, well thats weaning only 37.5% of her body weight, good luck on that one buddy. FOR THE RECORD.

[email protected]

well, you might as well go ahead and stick your foot in your big mouth,.. im weaning off 750 at 6 months, which means less time on feed which means i can take them straight to the sale barn and get a good price for them and keep them 2 months less... think about that ... you aren't very intelligent are you??? FOR THE RECORD

[email protected]

I'll try to keep this simple for you. Let's say i have a pasture with 600 AUM's your 2000 lb cow with calf = 2 AUM so you can run 300 cows there. 300 x 750 is 225,000 lbs of beef. On the same 600 AUMs i run my 1200 lb cows which equal 1.2 aums 600/1.2 = 500, 500 x 650 = 325,000 lbs of beef. So i am raising more beef on the same amount of pasture by using moderate framed cattle. FOR THE RECORD.

[email protected]

The feeder calf sale this past weekend in my local area the whites were discounted against. They will finish too large for the buyers markets. Chi's, simmi's and other large breeds were out of favor.

> well, you might as well go ahead
> and stick your foot in your big
> mouth,.. im weaning off 750 at 6
> months, which means less time on
> feed which means i can take them
> straight to the sale barn and get
> a good price for them and keep
> them 2 months less... think about
> that ... you aren't very
> intelligent are you??? FOR THE
> RECORD

Why are shorthorns not included in your choices of bulls to use to breed? and, why did you not include the fact that many shorthorns are POLLED SHORTHORNS? The color black does not necessarily denote quality.

650# is 54.1% of the 1200# cows weight 750# is 37.5% of your 2000# cows weight

We raise 250+ head of cow calf pairs which in the mix of things makes us pretty small... We start out all of our calves to about 1000 lbs. The angus and angusX calves almost always hit the mark faster than the colored calves which come to the lot bigger than the blacks. And then when we sell them it's the blacks that bring more. Just some numbers from our operation...

[email protected]

There is nothing wrong with a shorthorn cow in my mind. The only problem is the color... The roans are discounted here because they think they have longhorn influence. The blue-roan also doesn't sell well for the same reason and a blue roan almost always throws a blue roan which some people don't care for.

[email protected]

What type of cows do you have? 2000 lbs seems really big for a cow but, I'm new to the world of cattle.

> well, you might as well go ahead
> and stick your foot in your big
> mouth,.. im weaning off 750 at 6
> months, which means less time on
> feed which means i can take them
> straight to the sale barn and get
> a good price for them and keep
> them 2 months less... think about
> that ... you aren't very
> intelligent are you??? FOR THE
> RECORD

[email protected]

That is a ridiculous weight for any cow. That is about the least economical animal a ranch could have on. 2000# cows i hope its just a novelty and something pretty to look at because no profitable rancher would own such a monstrousity.

[email protected]

well, you can run your mouth all you like, not all of my cows are 2000 lbs.. a few are.. most averave between1600-1800 lbs with a few over or under... i make plenty of profit on my heifers and my bulls when i sell to the commercial, and the seedstock producers...its not a novelty, its flat-out PROFIT....i don't know where you are from, but dang... you got a mouth that doesn't quit...

[email protected]

Latest posts