Combining beans at 11pm on a sunday

Help Support CattleToday:

I see your point Mike and it's a good one. I would of went out and asked him why the heck are you combining beans at 11pm on a Sunday night. And he might of quit or told you to take a hike. Then I would of came here and put his name out as a jackass neighbor,
and a sorry a$$ part-time farmer. Got a problem with someone take it to them, and be done with it.

shadyhollownj":14rqoay6 said:
Really skytree? Did you even read my post? Do you think I am a contractor and farmer and work 9-5. I must have lost my silver spoon when I was little. I work for everything I got and its way more than 9-5. Thanks for proving my point about not reading the full post and making a judgment.

So nobody thinks its odd if you had to do 1.5 hours of combining all winter to do it at that time? I guess I am the the only guy that has common courtesy for my neighbors. It goes a long way in farming, business, and neighbors. Its not about farming people its thinking about others. Get off the i'm a farmer and I can do whatever I want thing and think about what I'm saying. I myself dont mind the noise but children sleeping for school and my baby do.

Definitely over the muck boots melking. Thanks.

Shady maybe you should read your own posts you said " I own two companies and farm. " I am sorry I left my crystal ball at home and didn't know you were a contractor. If you are a contractor depending on what you do you should fully understand that there is times you need to work at night.I am also a contractor and farmer In my opinion you are totally way off base you do not know what his situation is and why he is doing it at that time his machine could have been down and also not to mention do you know how much of a SOB it is to get a combine unstuck. Shady you are not the only person who has kids that farms or lives near a farm I did the same thing right outside of my windows when my kids were small. Everyone has different situations and does things differently just because you wouldn't do it does not make the other person an idiot. That same way of thinking is why we have so many problems with government if someone elses ideology doesn't match up with yours it makes them an idiot and them wrong. Did you ever stop to think the guys feel more comfortable moving large equip at night when its less traffic? of course you didn't. There are so many reasons why they could have did that at night. This same type of opinion you have expressed with us is why we have so many bs laws in place and gov't all in our business. I think that you should move to one of those gated communities that has no noice after a certain time and you will be much happier.. :2cents:

Want to borrow my shovel for that hole your digging? 8) it's gotten lots of use but doesn't make much noise :mrgreen:

I got plenty hook but they might get dull. Its getting hot this deep. I would have done better bring up politics at this point. It is what it is. Sorry I couldnt go the 2000 feet to where he was cause the baby was awake. I couldnt really leave him at home by himself could I ? So much for venting a little on a public forum about an anonymous neighbor being a jackass. It probably would be better causing a problem with a neighbor instead of posting on here.

The combine has been parked in the field for months and no it wasnt broke down so I didnt have to think about that. I'm a concrete contractor and I dont even like working in gated communities. There is times when things need to get done. But when the timeline encompasses months that was a crappy time to do it.

shadyhollownj":1aeuwrny said:
My idiot neighbor is taking his soybeans at 1030 pm on a sunday night. It is 1120 right now and he is still going. All the houses have kids and I have a 9 month old trying to sleep. Not to mention it is older that me and sounds even worse. Its been 20 degrees and snow and its january. Is this guy for real :x Someone obviously called the cops cause they came out realized they couldnt drive out in the field and left.
You would of loved me 3 years ago when I was discing with a IH 1586 that had a straight pipe right around a bunch of transplanted city folk at 1 am on a Thursday night. Got to work when you can.

Babies dont sleep with radios. I didnt care. The baby and my neighbors handicapped 4 year old did though. He started 4-500 feet from my house. It is that loud on a cold clear night in an uninsulated house for a baby. The only reason I cared is cause it woke the baby and it didnt need to be done. Sim I hear ya. Every farmer has a story about working late dealing with mother nature. Between two guys that work three days a week and a retired dad it was just bad timing on their part to do cleanup combining. After this thread I get it. Farmers no matter the situation are in the right no matter what and are untouchable and any farmer( thats me) who criticizes another farmer has no work ethic, has to go back to the city, should hope to meet a hardworking trustworthy individual unlike themselves, and should have no consideration for others. I just wanna make sure I got all the insults in that apparently I deserve. Who would think a post complaining about something would get turned around on me like this. I know I'm from "Yankeeland and must be from the city" and everyone has there stereotype but this is ridiculous. Glad we are all friends on here.

Bottom line to everything is... Farmers need to stick together and look out for one another its an organization that is losing more and more members each year... We need to be understanding and look out for one another...

highgrit":4qthi0p8 said:
I see your point Mike and it's a good one. I would of went out and asked him why the heck are you combining beans at 11pm on a Sunday night. And he might of quit or told you to take a hike. Then I would of came here and put his name out as a jackass neighbor,
and a sorry a$$ part-time farmer. Got a problem with someone take it to them, and be done with it.
I wouldn't have gone out and asked him that just as I didn't go out and ask the cane farmers why they were working in the middle of the night either, and their field came right up to my yard fence. It was none of my dang business for one thing, and it was completely irrelevant what they did the rest of the month, season, year or how many hours a day I worked either. Their land, their crops, their equipment. I don't want control over what others do on their own place, because what goes around comes around, and there's already way to much of that kind of thing already. This is exactly how HOAs get so much power over other people's lives--seen and read about that more times than I care to list. And, when I lived next to that cane field, my kids were young and had to go to school, and I had to get up early as well.

And no Ryder, I will not be returning to anywhere close to Bayou Teche.

Just remember, you have to adjust to the country folk, they aren't gonna' adjust to you. You may think your from the country, but if that bothered you, then you ain't from very far out. gs

shadyhollownj":66jrc5jd said:
I agree sky this just got way blown out of proportion. Lets talk politics or religion thats always a good one lol.

or #^$$(%%^*@ CORRIENTES :mad: :mad: :mad: :deadhorse:

It didn't seem to bother him to much. Mike was just venting, and it was waking up the kids that botherd him. I guess next time I get chicken litter spread I won't care if there's rain forcasted or which direction the wind is supposed be. Pi$$ on my neighbors they don't matter.
I am not doing it, I respect my neighbors and expect the same in return. If a hardship can be avoided, all the better.
Just the way I do things.

shadyhollownj":2cjzgmyn said:
I agree sky this just got way blown out of proportion. Lets talk politics or religion thats always a good one lol.

LOL no id rather stay in topics that don't get locked.

If non-farming groups are following my posts we got more issues than we think. I mean I didnt post this PETAS website Jed. I know its jersey but its another world for jersey where I live. Most of the land around me is farmland preserved anyway but thanks for the good luck for young farmer. Lets just say my town has a muskrat dinner you cant get a ticket to unless you kill someone. Theres more of a problem with the people bashing me without taking anything into consideration for the situation. I am a fairly young guy that was never raised on a farm and had no land given to me. I wanted to start raising cattle, maxed myself out, and bought the biggest piece of ground I could. Farmers are selling out left and right and guys like me are the future that want to get into farming not out. Instead of older farmers bashing the young new guy how about just appeasing me, shrug my comments off, and explain the situation instead of just criticizing. Maybe I'm wrong and Section 8 will never make it to your neighborhood and your kids wont sell out. Theres more land turning into houses that pasture so it doesnt look good. So that my point and I got a new shovel for today. Thanks Mike

shadyhollownj":8560taos said:
If non-farming groups are following my posts we got more issues than we think. I mean I didnt post this PETAS website Jed. I know its jersey but its another world for jersey where I live. Most of the land around me is farmland preserved anyway but thanks for the good luck for young farmer. Lets just say my town has a muskrat dinner you cant get a ticket to unless you kill someone. Theres more of a problem with the people bashing me without taking anything into consideration for the situation. I am a fairly young guy that was never raised on a farm and had no land given to me. I wanted to start raising cattle, maxed myself out, and bought the biggest piece of ground I could. Farmers are selling out left and right and guys like me are the future that want to get into farming not out. Instead of older farmers bashing the young new guy how about just appeasing me, shrug my comments off, and explain the situation instead of just criticizing. Maybe I'm wrong and Section 8 will never make it to your neighborhood and your kids wont sell out. Theres more land turning into houses that pasture so it doesnt look good. So that my point and I got a new shovel for today. Thanks Mike
Good for you on wanting to live the farm life. It is a good life.
Now quite complaining about farm life. :lol: Here where I'm at, had you called the cops, you could have recieved an infraction for filing a false statement. Farmers have a "right to farm" clause here. One of these days if you keep at it long enough you're going to inconveniance a neighbor whether it's cattle out or weaning calves or something else that HAS TO happen that they won't like. Let us know when you "get it" because most of us have been there. ;-)
It's been cold here lately... The wind machines start coming on around midnight. Depending on where you are it can sound like up to thirty helecopters coming down but instead of complaining, people here are thankfull that the farmers are out doing what they have to so that they can have a job to go to in the morning. Alot of people don't understand why the wind machines work but they accept that it's part of farming and they don't complain.

shadyhollownj":2m9xjmne said:
and explain the situation instead of just criticizing.
I think Jed hit on it and someone may have already covered it but moisture is probably the key to why he felt the need to do it in the middle of the night. A good solid frost will make everything as firm as if they were properly dried.

It sounds to me like the guy was either inconsiderate of the neighbors or maybe intentionally trying to bother a particular neighbor. There are definitely times when farmers need to work long days or at odd hours, but this doesn't sound like the case in this situation.

But what I really want to know is, what is a "wind machine"? Is it what I call a windmill? And why do they come on at midnight?

Latest posts