Cold

Help Support CattleToday:

My mother has oil heat and if the electric goes off it will not work. I keep her one of these handy on a 40 lb. tank and installed a CO2 detector. This is probably similar to what CB said.

s-l500.jpg
Got two just like it .

I have a double like that also and one of the tall ones like at bars lol

I do wish I had a Dearborn heater. Our place in Lavaca county has several in my great grandparents farm house. Wish I would have robbed one for this. They are pricey now, new.

Number 70 is not thrilled about his arrival to the outside world. Mom could be a bit more attentive.

Number 40 was born on Tuesday. He is doing fine but is having trouble finding mom this morning. 82 cows, she has to be there somewhere. I bet if I grabbed him and he were to bawl we would find her real quick.
Number 70's mother had postpartum issues. This afternoon he went to B's for some time in the hot box and a bottle of colostrum. They will get reunited some time tomorrow.

-25 wind chill right now and up to 10" of snow. Getting ready to bundle up in 20 lbs of clothes for my morning check. Pleeeeeease, no preemies!!!!
Neighbor had one yesterday in the brief period of sunshine we had. Mama was gittin after it cleaning it up when I drove by. He said, "hope that calf makes it, I've lost 3"
😶
What do ya do when ya have no shelter I guess.
Broke ice a couple hours ago, could a fooled me.
20210214_111727.jpg

Neighbor had one yesterday in the brief period of sunshine we had. Mama was gittin after it cleaning it up when I drove by. He said, "hope that calf makes it, I've lost 3"
😶
What do ya do when ya have no shelter I guess.
Broke ice a couple hours ago, could a fooled me.
View attachment 2283
kinda stupid to calf in this season and be so ill prepared

I have a double like that also and one of the tall ones like at bars lol

I do wish I had a Dearborn heater. Our place in Lavaca county has several in my great grandparents farm house. Wish I would have robbed one for this. They are pricey now, new.
Hard to beat propane heat 90k btus to the gallon.
We use the heat pump and fireplace until the power goes out. Most folks around here have a couple 40 lbs or 100 pound bottles for backups.
Living in the woods you can bet tree limbs will take the power out in an ice storm.

I feel for you guys in Tx and the more southern states as I know you are not equipped for this kind of cold and sleet and ice. It is bad enough in areas that are more used to it. My son has been out the last 5 nights on the night crew with the VDOT as the little bit of misty rain/ sleet has been freezing on the roads. First snow, now this and this ice is worse cuz you can't plow it like the snow. Have been okay for power here so far.... but there is ice on the trees and bushes. More crap weather coming this week after it visits y'all in Tx ..... we aren't even as cold as you....

The scary part is they are expecting rolling black outs even if every thing is intact. The are natural gas shortages and plants down. Im hearing midstream companies are actually calling o&g companies and asking them to put well bol and keep them going. Ng is crazy high right now.

I understand why but it puts a lot of o&g guys on the road and in harm's way.

I feel for you guys in Tx and the more southern states as I know you are not equipped for this kind of cold and sleet and ice. It is bad enough in areas that are more used to it. My son has been out the last 5 nights on the night crew with the VDOT as the little bit of misty rain/ sleet has been freezing on the roads. First snow, now this and this ice is worse cuz you can't plow it like the snow. Have been okay for power here so far.... but there is ice on the trees and bushes. More crap weather coming this week after it visits y'all in Tx ..... we aren't even as cold as you....
Got that right girl.

The scary part is they are expecting rolling black outs even if every thing is intact. The are natural gas shortages and plants down. Im hearing midstream companies are actually calling o&g companies and asking them to put well bol and keep them going. Ng is crazy high right now.

I understand why but it puts a lot of o&g guys on the road and in harm's way.
I actually remember shutting down refinery units in 83 and 89 to free up electricity from our powerhouses to put on the grid.

That's smart. I've heard of the plants here cranking up their power plants when needed to "pump" in to the grid.
We also would change the operating parameters on the Hydrocracker reactor temps to make more methane and NGL's.
We were cracking diesel or gas oils to make more methane and NGL's versus gasoline.

Latest posts