Cold

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno said:
Put out the first test roll of hay yesterday.
Still chasing pasture it's just not much nutrient wise there this time of year.
It was 36 here this morning with 14 mph winds,light freeze predicted tonight.

I put some out Saturday. They hit it pretty hard the first day but backed off. It's pretty much gone today. Was in the low 40's this morning. Wind calmed down sometime before daybreak but was blowing again by 10 am. This afternoon was sunny and a nice afternoon.

Colder tonight but feels warmer because the wind stopped. Good weather for the next few days but 3 more days of rain forecast beginning next Tuesday. Glad not to be feeding hay yet..the place is getting pretty soft already.

25 degrees tonight with 20 mph winds. Snow finally let up. Wood burner is going strong and wont stop until April I imagine.

Not trying to rub it in - but this has been a great October. First "seasonal" weather we have had since winter. But, was 50's yesterday morning, getting up to 60's - was 30 this AM and had 3" of hard rain & wind all night - with snowflakes this am.
We will start feeding hay to the herd today. Latest we have started for a long time.

Caustic Burno said:

I been feeding hay since September

It's been unseasonably cold here this "fall". Very wet, some beans harvested on high ground, absolutely ZERO corn off the fields. Hopefully the ground freezes soon so the corn can get combined and we can purchase our corn stalk bales for winter bedding. We winterized waterers last weekend and moved the goats to the barn for the winter. This morning, we had our first snow flakes. We will put out our first bales for the stock tonight or tomorrow and sort all the cattle into their wintering groups. Looks like by mid-week I will have to plug in heated water dishes for the goats and dogs, and throw the blankets on the horses for the winter.

skyhightree1 said:
Caustic Burno said:

I been feeding hay since September
Same here, just a roll to stretch the grass growth every few days. Wet, rainy and cold all week, they have pickings, but we've been feeding every day, but our cows are wet. Aint gonna skimp on them. Hay is cheap this year, got some rolly pollys already, should shine when we get them on the wheat about january, hopefully.

We could go for some moisture. We haven't had much since the second week of September, when I had hay down. Halloween was a joke. I was out there in jeans, long underwear, long sleeve shirt, sweatshirt and winter coat and it was still unbearable. He's 9, so we're winding down on Halloweens, but I'm sure I'll miss it when we're done.