Cold

Help Support CattleToday:

Its gonna be fun putting hay out today with no cubes.

Apparently theres a shortage.

Looks like I'll be adding a feed shed to my list of things to do this year. I usually pre-buy whatever tonnage I need and pick it up as needed. Perhaps one of those railcars...

I've found that my wheat hay doesnt do it as bad, but the Bermuda hay really sticks and I end up pulling a layer of hay off with it. Drives me nutz!
I scrape the snow and ice off, then beat it with a stick to loosen it up. I only have Bermuda hay.

Last edited:
Finally got the diesel tank thawed today. Been gelled for the last week.

The fuel company is supposed to supply fuel already blended for cold weather, just goes to show that isn't always the case.

Dumped 5 bottles of diesel additive in, changed the filter 3 times, and built a little cardboard enclosure with the diesel heater inside, let it warm up for an hour or so, then it finally started pumping.

We always use an additive when it gets that cold, didn't have any trouble with equipment, just the main tank. Been down that road before with supposed "winter blend" fuel.
I put a healthy dose Howes Diesel Treat in mine. It still gelled up. y. Tractor went into limp mode almost instantly. I now have heat lamps on the fuel tank.

1613834362840.png

MFA must blend their winter diesel well. I add a bottle of Howe's or Diesel Kleen white bottle to the furnace and tractor tanks regardless but the wife's VW is a diesel and none of them have gelled despite the wind chill and low temps.

MFA must blend their winter diesel well. I add a bottle of Howe's or Diesel Kleen white bottle to the furnace and tractor tanks regardless but the wife's VW is a diesel and none of them have gelled despite the wind chill and low temps.
I almost always use MFA, but the tank that gelled was from another place. My MFA pumps were out of service that day. It has MFA road diesel in it now. The MFA farm diesel pump was out of commission. Do yo see a pattern?

That tank I mentioned was from MFA. Not sure if they dropped the ball on blending, or if there was enough summer fuel left in it, but I don't think that is the case, hasn't been that long since it was filled from empty.

My water is almost* all fixed but now, I've had about enough of looking up at the underside of other people's houses while wearing hip waders.

*almost, because now, for some reason my kitchen sink won't drain.
Trap is clean.
Possible there is ice in the drain line somewhere, as it is on the north side of the house and late this evening, there was still some ice on the ground beside the house. I did have the trap from the bath tub freeze and crack, so I know those drains got below freezing once the power went off.

(tip. If the kitchen sink won't drain, be very very careful when opening the door to the dishwasher.. evidently, high water in the sink drain system can flow back into the dishwasher up to the height of the sink level.... btdt)
:oops:

Last edited:
Didnt loose power here. Havent started the tractor in weeks, not even my truck in maybe 10 days or so. Being retired I had the time to pepare as much in advance as I could. Extra food, water and supplies, like hurricane prep . Set the brooder lights under the house to prevent freezing. Tonight was the last overnight freeze, so its time to clean it up and put it all away.

(tip. If the kitchen sink won't drain, be very very careful when opening the door to the dishwasher.. evidently, high water in the sink drain system can flow back into the dishwasher up to the height of the sink level.... btdt)
:oops:
Recommendation is to route the dishwasher drain hose up high under the sink, then down to the connection point on the drain system. If the top of the loop is higher than the max level in the sink, it "should not" backflow into the dishwasher.
You guys in Texas need a rest.

CB > You may want to wait a few days before you perform an autopsy on the ryegrass, Crimson at your latitude, don't know... LVR

You Texican's had a limit imposed by the feds on how much electricity you could generate before the cold weather.

David Huizenga Acting Secretary of Energy
I have determined that additional dispatch of the Specified Resources is necessary to best meet the emergency and serve the public interest for purposes of FPA section 202(c). Because the additional generation may result in a conflict with environmental standards and requirements, I am authorizing only the necessary additional generation,

This Order shall be effective upon its issuance, and shall expire at 11:59 p.m. Central Standard Time Friday, February 19, 2021, with the exception of the reporting requirements in paragraph E. Renewal of this Order, should it be needed, must be requested before this Order expires.

This incremental amount of restricted capacity would be offered at a price no lower than $1,500/MWh.

Never lost electricity, not one water line busted.
It took out my winter pasture of ryegrass and crimson clover.
Overall we faired great compared to a lot of folks.
I'm not seeing much damage on my ryegrass and the Texas winter grass seems to have liked it. Oats are burned bad but I think there's a chance they might come through... maybe.

I feel I'm okay at reasoning and common sense, but I can't get my brain to actually understand.... I understand it the whole crisis the huge amount of problems and ripple affects, people without power, even people dying, but I can't imagine living it. I've watch some news about it very little actually. I can't picture what's really happening. Like a tornado or hurricane you may see the damage on the news but you don't actually understand unless you have experience it first hand. I guess what I'm say is I do understand it but can't imagine living it. My prayers go out to everybody who is going through this.

You Texican's had a limit imposed by the feds on how much electricity you could generate before the cold weather.

David Huizenga Acting Secretary of Energy
I have determined that additional dispatch of the Specified Resources is necessary to best meet the emergency and serve the public interest for purposes of FPA section 202(c). Because the additional generation may result in a conflict with environmental standards and requirements, I am authorizing only the necessary additional generation,

This Order shall be effective upon its issuance, and shall expire at 11:59 p.m. Central Standard Time Friday, February 19, 2021, with the exception of the reporting requirements in paragraph E. Renewal of this Order, should it be needed, must be requested before this Order expires.

This incremental amount of restricted capacity would be offered at a price no lower than $1,500/MWh.
Yep I talked with my state representative today in Austin.
The state AG is looking into charges. It's still in the investigation stage.

Latest posts