Cold

Help Support CattleToday:

Bestoutwest

Reaction score
It's so cold it's time to break out the water heaters. I don't remember doing it this early before. This morning it was 19 out there (according to the truck) and there was at least a 1/4" of ice at the top. I'm not ready for winter yet.

Oh, dang. I'm whining because it's 33, feels like 17 with light snow (according to AccuWeather). We pretty much skipped Fall. Did put ceramic heaters in all the well houses but haven't pulled out the tank heaters or heating tape for the pipes.

Agree, sooo not ready for winter!

It was either 5 or 7 here this morning depending on who you believe but at least it was calm. Yesterday was 12 but we had about a 25 mph wind that would blow a hole right through a person. I talked to a guy at the sale today who lives up on the other end of the canyon. He had -3 this morning. I didn't have my long handles on yesterday but I darn sure did today.

Dave said:
It was either 5 or 7 here this morning depending on who you believe but at least it was calm. Yesterday was 12 but we had about a 25 mph wind that would blow a hole right through a person. I talked to a guy at the sale today who lives up on the other end of the canyon. He had -3 this morning. I didn't have my long handles on yesterday but I darn sure did today.

Yeah it was windy here yesterday, too. When it does that it's unbearable.

30 here today and I thought that was cold. Today I have to spend my day figuring out what to do about water in a field with no power. Do I run an extremely long extension cord and hope for the best or do I commit to carrying hot buckets each morning....

Put out the first test roll of hay yesterday.
Still chasing pasture it's just not much nutrient wise there this time of year.
It was 36 here this morning with 14 mph winds,light freeze predicted tonight.

We're getting our cold rains...that make up our crappy winters...just come out of a drought with intense heat,To cold rains..fall Is just a myth,I Tell my grandkids about...

It is 10 this morning. They are predicting that it will warm up to highs in the low 50's with the lows around 30. That is more seasonal weather for this time of the year. This week I have to build a short stretch of fence so the calves can go to the river for water. This chopping ice in the troughs gets old in a hurry.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/10/30/arctic-cold-blast-breaks-temperatures-october-utah-wyoming-colorado/4098089002/

My bad, Peter Sinks Utah was -45F

We were 60 for a low this morning, up to 72 now, raining pretty steady, some harder downpours. Supposed to get some harder rain by nightfall then moving out with lows dropping to the 30's. Then more fall like weather with 50's and 30's. But I am with ALACOWMAN the "seasons" have sure gotten screwy, with both spring and fall pretty ,much short or non-existent.

cowgal604 said:
30 here today and I thought that was cold. Today I have to spend my day figuring out what to do about water in a field with no power. Do I run an extremely long extension cord and hope for the best or do I commit to carrying hot buckets each morning....

Use cattle panels, or electric netting, to make a lane from far off fields to a watering point... Have seen some field designs where the water troughs are enclosed in a "lot" that is 50x50 or something like that, with gates on several sides to allow animals to be closed off from certain fields like when rotating pastures. Like the hub of a wagon wheel with lanes or gates, leading off to different fields. We have it at one place where there are 3 areas that come together at the water trough, and we can close off whatever field(s) we don't want them in. No more hauling to far off pastures. One has a lane that is maybe 25-30 feet wide, that they have to come in about 100-200 feet from the pasture fence/gate.... but they can get to water. Lots of places that design grazing use some sort of laneway for animals to do the traveling to get their own water rather than "carry it to them".

TexasBred said:
30 here this morning with a stiff north wind. Not that cold but only two weeks ago it was 100

well we went from sahara dessert to a swamp to inferno to fall ... mother natures off her meds

Bestoutwest said:
It's so cold it's time to break out the water heaters. I don't remember doing it this early before. This morning it was 19 out there (according to the truck) and there was at least a 1/4" of ice at the top. I'm not ready for winter yet.

no need to rub it in...

In a fire meeting on October 9 2 fire weather experts said no rain in the foreseeable future and extremely dry until December. It's been the wettest October on record. Over 6 1/2".

Drove up from Texas last weekend to Nebraska to pick up some angus heifers and Monday morning was 20 degrees and snow predicted that afternoon: loaded and headed south thought it was cold , son on a drilling rig on Texas/ New Mexico line said it will 16 degrees tonight:glad my drilling rig days are over.

Latest posts