Cold

Help Support CattleToday:

Brutal!!!! But back to the mid 50's the week of the 22nd.
must be nice. maybe up to the teens above zero here starting on Wednesday and even possibly 30 by the weekend. long way away for the weatherman or woman so could be anywhere from -10 - +50.

There saying 10 here that's not the coldest I ever saw here .
Back in 83 saw 2, I don't remember how many days but we went over a week with below freezing temps. Galveston Bay started freezing over, we dip netted huge trout that got caught in shallow water.
Our normal winters are 30-40 with rain.
We're just not set up for real cold weather, we're geared for hot. Lord help you if you venture on the highway as we can't drive on snow and ice.
We went ten days below zero in '83 and the whole month below freezing.

They're talking 12 to 16 inches of snow for us hopefully they are wrong again and we don't get that much.

Got up to 15 today. Sunday and Monday are supposed to be the worst for MO.

Snow predictions keep changing, but I'm sure we'll get a few inches at least.

The last two winters have not been that cold, but lots of rain and clouds. Don't mind the cold so much compared to that.

Cattle broke the valve in my waterer, and then the riser pipe froze up... so will be out of luck there for a while. They've been eating snow and are used to that too, but I decided with -45 wind chills forecast to come in this weekend, I'd better plump them up... I hammered in some fence posts around a rubber tank, and just left a stream running out of the hydrant. Took the handle off so they couldn't shut it down on me. Was -18 when I got up this morning, figured I'd have to be chopping some ice, but no... that tank was completely open, other than a little ice where it overflows the side. Probably less costly than a heater?

Cattle broke the valve in my waterer, and then the riser pipe froze up... so will be out of luck there for a while. They've been eating snow and are used to that too, but I decided with -45 wind chills forecast to come in this weekend, I'd better plump them up... I hammered in some fence posts around a rubber tank, and just left a stream running out of the hydrant. Took the handle off so they couldn't shut it down on me. Was -18 when I got up this morning, figured I'd have to be chopping some ice, but no... that tank was completely open, other than a little ice where it overflows the side. Probably less costly than a heater?
Yikes! Then I got lucky. Dang replacement heifers managed to unplug the de-icer, which is now a solid hunk 'o ice, and short out the electric cord. Quality time spent chopping the ice in the tank and fortunately had a back-up de-icer & cord. Heading out shortly to see what fresh he!! awaits:rolleyes:

There saying 10 here that's not the coldest I ever saw here .
Back in 83 saw 2, I don't remember how many days but we went over a week with below freezing temps. Galveston Bay started freezing over, we dip netted huge trout that got caught in shallow water.
Our normal winters are 30-40 with rain.
We're just not set up for real cold weather, we're geared for hot. Lord help you if you venture on the highway as we can't drive on snow and ice.
I remember that year. Lived in Houston in a cookie cutter subdivision. Every other house's pipes burst in the attic.

Water pipes were not insulated at all. I think we are at 11 for almost 2 weeks.

This is not good. People are already dealing with power outages that are days out from repair and we are days ahead of the bad stuff. This could get really dangerous. People around here are not set up this. A lot of people, myself included, dont even own the clothes to deal with this weather if we lose power for a long period of time.

I've seen articles talking about how a lot of electric heaters will not keep up also.

I think the mountains in the Western part of Virginia have help protect us so far from this Polar Vortex. We are on the edge of all of it, but missed it so far. The wife talked with some family in Dallas yesterday and ice was a problem there.

This is not good. People are already dealing with power outages that are days out from repair and we are days ahead of the bad stuff. This could get really dangerous. People around here are not set up this. A lot of people, myself included, dont even own the clothes to deal with this weather if we lose power for a long period of time.

I've seen articles talking about how a lot of electric heaters will not keep up also.
Good luck finding a heater if you need one. Like trying to get ammo right now. Stores already where letting winter stock get low and stocking spring stuff. I went and gathered up my little buddy propane heaters out of all the deer stands. I have a little valve to fill the one pound tanks and a hundred pound tank full in my shop. I've never used the little valve, but I studied on it last night night. Looks like I'm going to have to figure out how to hang the hundred pound tank upside down... Idk.
Powers been off as much as it's been on and like you said..it's gonna get worse. Average water line around here is probably about 4" deep LoL..

Ice storm south of Portland has 100,000 customers without power. Wind in the Columbia Gorge is a steady 50-60 mph with gusts to 90 mph. I-84 (Oregon side) and Hwy14 (Washington side of the river) are both closed going through the gorge. Here in far eastern Oregon it is 22 and looks like another inch or so of snow over night. Be another 30 minutes or so before it is light enough to see good. I will go feed them and find out what other adventures there are today.

I'm sure glad I got a wood stove to help my poor overworked heat pump

Latest posts