Cold

Help Support CattleToday:

Good luck finding a heater if you need one. Like trying to get ammo right now. Stores already where letting winter stock get low and stocking spring stuff. I went and gathered up my little buddy propane heaters out of all the deer stands. I have a little valve to fill the one pound tanks and a hundred pound tank full in my shop. I've never used the little valve, but I studied on it last night night. Looks like I'm going to have to figure out how to hang the hundred pound tank upside down... Idk.
Powers been off as much as it's been on and like you said..it's gonna get worse. Average water line around here is probably about 4" deep LoL..
There is a cord of wood on the porch. This is the very reason I installed propane in the house.
In the 89 ice storm we were without power 9 days.

You're better off when it's this cold to turn it to emergency heat and just run strips, the heat pump don't do much good when it's below freezing.It's just running the compressor for nothing.
Ours keeps up. It hits the setting. I stay at 70 in the winter

Yeah got the de icer in the Galvanized water tank. Only have a few cows and Got tired of busting ice every morning. Heck only gotten down to the low 20's at night. There talking about single digets here in Central Texas in the next day or two. Have the Kubota 10 KW EFI Bobcat waiting to plug into house as it looks like might need it. Don't know how you Boys do it up North. Heck even the Feral Cats that run when you see um are hanging around inside the barn when I go out are just a looking at me. They are southern guys also.

We've warmed up a little now, we were at -5F for a couple days, today it's about +5F, dusting of snow falling20210213095339.jpg

I saw that Texas highway pileup.. We had a pretty good one here on a pass, 20+ cars and semi trucks piled up, one fatality... also primarily caused by poor highway maintenance... coming down a hill there was suddenly a patch of road with no salt/sand

One brand spanking new calf this morning when we went out to feed. Mom seemed more interested in eating than in mothering the new one. But the view from the road just now I see she moved him down by the feed row. Maybe she can go back and forth between him and the hay

One brand spanking new calf this morning when we went out to feed. Mom seemed more interested in eating than in mothering the new one. But the view from the road just now I see she moved him down by the feed row. Maybe she can go back and forth between him and the hay
Happens nearly every time.. Plop out the calf.. Oh, now I have a big empty spot I have to fill with hay!

Thermometer hit -32 F today. It was -45 F northeast of us. Glad we are a hot spot, but cattle are still stiff when they get off the bedding pack. Don't think ADG is very high.

Ice fisherman are unhappy. LCDs are turning into SCDs... What to do?

Forty below again this morning. Getting a little tired of it. But the water is still running so that's a relief.
My water stopped for like two hours so I couldn't water any animals this morning until water unfroze I had to call the people who were doing the construction they PUT THE GOSH DARN TEMPORARY PIPE ON THE SNOW HERE AND THOUGHT IT WOULDNT FREEZE!

Happens nearly every time.. Plop out the calf.. Oh, now I have a big empty spot I have to fill with hay!
Number 70 is not thrilled about his arrival to the outside world. Mom could be a bit more attentive.

Number 40 was born on Tuesday. He is doing fine but is having trouble finding mom this morning. 82 cows, she has to be there somewhere. I bet if I grabbed him and he were to bawl we would find her real quick.

Attachments

• P2122360.JPG
    P2122360.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 4
  • P2122361.JPG
    P2122361.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 4
Number 70 is not thrilled about his arrival to the outside world. Mom could be a bit more attentive.

Number 40 was born on Tuesday. He is doing fine but is having trouble finding mom this morning. 82 cows, she has to be there somewhere. I bet if I grabbed him and he were to bawl we would find her real quick.
He's like mannnn it's to cold right now

Good luck finding a heater if you need one. Like trying to get ammo right now. Stores already where letting winter stock get low and stocking spring stuff. I went and gathered up my little buddy propane heaters out of all the deer stands. I have a little valve to fill the one pound tanks and a hundred pound tank full in my shop. I've never used the little valve, but I studied on it last night night. Looks like I'm going to have to figure out how to hang the hundred pound tank upside down... Idk.
Powers been off as much as it's been on and like you said..it's gonna get worse. Average water line around here is probably about 4" deep LoL..
Just be carefull of carbon monoxide with those gas heaters Fence.

Ken

We've warmed up a little now, we were at -5F for a couple days, today it's about +5F, dusting of snow fallingView attachment 2235

I saw that Texas highway pileup.. We had a pretty good one here on a pass, 20+ cars and semi trucks piled up, one fatality... also primarily caused by poor highway maintenance... coming down a hill there was suddenly a patch of road with no salt/sand
Those two trucks at the rear did well pulling up jack knifing into the embankment.

Ken

My mother has oil heat and if the electric goes off it will not work. I keep her one of these handy on a 40 lb. tank and installed a CO2 detector. This is probably similar to what CB said.

s-l500.jpg

Latest posts