Cold

Help Support CattleToday:

-27 wind chill this morning. Only a small section open in one of the stock tanks so I pulled out my pick ax and started breaking ice, which splashed on my pants - and I was subsequently stuck to the tank. Brilliant:rolleyes:. More water to get un-stuck and a darn cold ride the mile back to the house in the Polaris.

It seems like every year they have a power outage in Seattle for one reason or another. When that happens there will be a family die from carbon dioxide because they brought a propane heater into the house. Be careful with those things. Better to be cold and alive than warm and dead.

For you with frost free problems try this. Take some insulation and wrap it a couple times and then some black.plastic around that. Duct tape or just tie it on good. Might have to replace it each fall but cost almost nothing. Any sun will heat the black plastic also and the insulation will hold the heat in.
Thawed my frost free hydrant with charcoal and tinfoil, I would have been at it til July '22 using a hair dryer. YMMV

It seems like every year they have a power outage in Seattle for one reason or another. When that happens there will be a family die from carbon dioxide because they brought a propane heater into the house. Be careful with those things. Better to be cold and alive than warm and dead.
A reminder that anyone with propane or natural gas heat or water heater should have carbon monoxide detectors in their house. A blocked flue or a cracked heat exchanger in a furnace can cause CO problems in the house. And that CO detectors have a shelf life of around 7 years - then they should be replaced. Smoke detectors - about 10 years. The test button on those only tests the battery and noise maker. Not the detector itself. Some people probably have 30 year old smoke detectors and think they are protected. Around here, we sometimes have power outages due to ice and wind. People will put a generator in or near their garage and some die from CO.

People are tearing TXDOT up right now. There were posts from all over asking why they were not out prepping the roads then that happened.
Yea I heard two days ago " they were out of sand..." probably fake news but how do you run out of sand? They sure had not done much prep work from what I saw and I came back to Austin from the RGV. I saw a few brine trucks south of Corpus and that was it.

I tell ya... I'm sick of it already.

I'm amazed my outside hydrant is working. It has no wind block either!! Keeping the hose rolled up and in the bathtub until needed. Hauling 5 gallon bucks really stinks!
Same here, tired of winter. We are doing the same, hose in bathtub and packing buckets the rest of the way.

Yea I heard two days ago " they were out of sand..." probably fake news but how do you run out of sand? They sure had not done much prep work from what I saw and I came back to Austin from the RGV. I saw a few brine trucks south of Corpus and that was it.
Our county and txdot did absolutely zero here but our commissioners are lazy, idiots.

We have not had power all day. Phone service is spotty. Got my router plugged in to the generator though so I have enet. Does 911 have an email address or FB messenger? LoL

Cooked a pretty dang good supper on the bbq pit this evening. I may freeze to death but I wont starve.

We were able to gauge wells and check cattle at a few places close to home. Going to try to hit some of the ones further away tomorrow. Roads were clearing off good with the sun today.

Got a buddy who bought a trailer down next to San Antonio he needs by Friday. He asked if I would go get it because nobody down there will leave to bring it up. I thought about it but looks like at least 1/3 of the road between here and there is closed or at a standstill. Want to help him out but 40hrs. to do a 20hr. trip isn't in my plans. Are the roads as bad as they make them out to be?

Got a buddy who bought a trailer down next to San Antonio he needs by Friday. He asked if I would go get it because nobody down there will leave to bring it up. I thought about it but looks like at least 1/3 of the road between here and there is closed or at a standstill. Want to help him out but 40hrs. to do a 20hr. trip isn't in my plans. Are the roads as bad as they make them out to be?
And seems like i know someone that pulls trailers. And its a heck of a lot longer than 20 hours from you.

Its debateably if it's the road's or the people's fault but either way I wouldnt want to venture down just yet. Might be able to dive in and out Wednesday in to Thursday.

Thought about hitting you up to see if you had anything headed that way KT and wanted a back haul or I could pick up one to go down and make extra. Map dohicky on the iPad says 21hrs from my door one way.

Thought about hitting you up to see if you had anything headed that way KT and wanted a back haul or I could pick up one to go down and make extra. Map dohicky on the iPad says 21hrs from my door one way.
If you get on I-85 down to I-65 to I-12 then I-10. Never off the interstate. Add several hours to the map dohicky. Atlanta remember.

Latest posts