cold weather

Help Support CattleToday:

peg4x4

Reaction score
At least it's cold for here.. Hard freeze wed,down to 20f..That's much too cold for me,I can't imagine how yall up north manage.. Not supposed to be any rain with it,so no ice storm which is good,as we are not set up for it! My stove and waterheater are gas,so if the E goes out I can still stay warm.

Its cold here to Peg, 20 degrees with snow on the way Wednesday night with a low of 13 degrees.

Just in time for all these calves to be hitting the ground. Then I read Randi's post and I am not so concerned. The heifer born yesterday was pretty weak but it looks like everything is okay.

it was cold here this morning.27 when i got up.plugged the tractor in fore we went to town so bro could hay the cows.theyll suck the hay down when its this cold.supposed tobe down in the midd to upper teens for 2 or 3 days.im not going out in it less i have to.an ill have to once a day or every other day.the cows have the protine tubbs so that should help emm alot.

2 degrees here yesterday, 11 this morning. At least the grounds solid, I would hate to have a foot of snow on top of mud and the cold to boot.

Larry

Minus 3 here this morning. High around 12 above. Same as it's been since Friday. Not supposed to get higher than the upper teens the rest of the week. Only 4 or 5 inches of snow so far.

Very rare pattern here. It's suppose to be below 20 for a low for 4 out of 8 days (not above 25) and above freezing as a high 3 out of those. After that it is not much better but we get into the 40's some. We've already had 2 bust pipes at rental houses and expect more to come. I don't expect to really know until they thaw out early next week.

I suspect we will have a fair amount more dwelling fires as folks try to keep warm. We just ain't use to the extend length of low temps we are looking at.

It's a lot colder than normal here, too. We are 2 below zero right now and some of our predicted daytime highs are below zero later in the week. This is gonna last awhile. One of the stupid cows crapped in the stock tank and it's too cold to dump it and clean it out right without making a skating rink. So we scooped out what we could and filled it up to dilute the rest. And there is plenty of snow to lick if they don't like the taste of the water. The cattle are doin fine with the cold, they have hay in front of them and a shed to get out of the wind when they want to. They aren't humped up, they act comfortable. Just stepping carefully because there is ice under the snow. We have 3 "almost finished" hogs that seem to be handling it all right, even though are just getting 2 good drinks a day right now because they don't have heated water. (That was supposed to be a spring-to-fall project but somebody couldn't keep their hand down at the auction) They have a hut with deep straw bedding and they stay in it most of the time now. The chickens went on strike but the eggs would freeze and break anyway. So far nobody has froze their comb or feet.

We have the calm before the storm...Really a pretty nice day- Temp of 16- no wind- real light snow coming down...
BUT
they are saying that will change later in the night- with heavier snow (5-8 inches)- winds picking up (and changing directions 1/2 way thru the storm so it can really plug things up) - and by Wednesday the bottom falling out of the thermometer (25-35 below depending on which weather guesser you listen to)...
I got a weeks worth of hay jerked out of the stacks and sat out to where its easier to get to- and replaced a tank heater that was burning out- so now just sit and see what we get...
Old cows and horses know its coming- they were out early grazing- and 1/2 filled up when I rolled them out some hay for a little extra stuffing...

204 PM MST MON JAN 4 2010

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 11 PM THIS EVENING
TO 5 AM MST WEDNESDAY...

A WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 11 PM THIS EVENING
TO 5 AM MST WEDNESDAY.

* MAIN IMPACTS: 4 TO 8 INCHES OF NEW SNOW FALL ALONG WITH BLOWING
AND DRIFTING SNOW ARE EXPECTED WHICH WILL CREATE WHITE OUT
CONDITIONS
AND MAKE TRAVEL HAZARDOUS.

* TIMING: LATE THIS EVENING THROUGH TUESDAY EXPECT SNOW TO SPREAD
ACROSS THE REGION. STRONG NORTHERLY WINDS WILL PICK UP TUESDAY
AFTERNOON AND BLOW THROUGH THE DAY WEDNESDAY.

* OTHER IMPACTS: NORTHERLY WINDS OF 20 TO 30 MPH WILL LEAD TO
WIND CHILL READINGS OF 20 TO 40 BELOW ZERO
WHICH CAN EASILY
PRODUCE FROST BITE IN A MATTER OF MINUTES.

The snowstorm is apparently past us- as the sun is shining bright...Picked up about 5 inchs of new snow- and luckily the high winds some areas got didn't develop here- and so its not bad for drifts...

But now the Canadians went and left the back door open again :shock: ;-) 9 Above when I went to bed- 2 Below this morning- and now when I just got done feeding its dropped to 8 Below- and with the 15- 20 mph winds makes it feel a little nippy...
Predictions for tonight are for the coldest temps of the winter so far-- somewhere around 30 to 35 Below....

Weather boys are still teasing us with their predictions of the Chinook moving in from Alberta by the weekend- moving this cold east- and giving us temps in the 20's by Saturday.... :???: I hope its true :D

I bought 2 yearling Simmy bulls last Friday and told the owner not to deliver them until this Friday because it was 36F and light snow. Well guess what, this Friday is it going to be 21F and heavy snow. Hope he likes feeding them.

Gee 20F would feel like a heat wave after the -11 below we had this morning. Got 8-9 inches of snow.
Had to go to town and found one of those frozen ruts in the road and went side ways. Didn't land in the ditch luckily. Sure did get the heart beating. :D

Picked up 5 inches of snow today. The wind is sposed to pick up to 30 mph tonight making the wind chill somwhere around -35F but it hasn't picked up yet really so hopefulley the weather guessers were wrong on that part.

Well iowafarmer there is more cold headed your way...22 Below here at 10PM- and the weatherguessers say that will move south and east- and hopefully leave us by Friday...
Some are even predicting near 40's ABOVE for us next week.....

WOW! 18 f outside and wind gusts up to 35 and high today only 21 Looks like another one of them there norther's is blowing in.Since I don't have have enough weight to hold me down I'd better put a couple bricks in the pockets of my carharts. Cattle need there cubes.
Supposed to be colder in the morning and then blow out of here and warm back up Saturday.

Cal

Must have just blown in. Was 45 just a few minutes ago with 12 mph wind. 37 now with 20 mph wind. Don't think we will get any precip. I think the next drought has started.........haven't had any measurable in 7 days. :)

It's going on two weeks now that TX has been as cold or colder than Indiana. Florida is colder than Indiana.
It's 20F and snowing here. That is shirtsleeve weather compared to a normal January.
I figure we'll be building a tourism economy any day now. We have several sand bars we can convert to beaches, but the ocean receeded several million years ago.

john250":nbyjga4u said:
It's going on two weeks now that TX has been as cold or colder than Indiana. Florida is colder than Indiana.
It's 20F and snowing here. That is shirtsleeve weather compared to a normal January.
I figure we'll be building a tourism economy any day now. We have several sand bars we can convert to beaches, but the ocean receeded several million years ago.

Just hang on John what with the global warming and the ice caps melting you should have plenty of ocean soon.
Did I say global Warming!!?

Cal

My old place was in the bed of a shallow inland sea. Beach sand (sugar sand) just up the hill,then it goes to red clay and ironstone (well,red rocks) There is limestone down hill from my old house. I found a sea scollop shell in place not too far from here. So it happened before,why not again?

Where we sit there used to be glaciers and the Missouri River. the "mighty mo" used to flow up into Canada until the glaciers came down and changed its course south. Pretty neat area to see where it used to flow up north of us.

Latest posts