Current Weather

Help Support CattleToday:

I feel bad for you all wallowing around in the mud in such. But it does make me appreciate the frozen north that much more. Ground is hard as granite here, but frozen moisture is accumulating on top of it in preparation for when it will be needed later. Don't expect to see mud for 60-90 days. I honestly don't know how you folks do it down there.
Good luck to all dealing with those conditions.

greybeard":27jau24z said:
alisonb":27jau24z said:
On the other side of the globe...Heat wave after heat wave, we are burning up here. We have had 66mm of rain since the start of the season in our area, that is just over two inches and you guys are talking about having 60/70/80 inches. I truely don't know which is the worst...too much or too little :shock:
I know...... note the date.

And it's not done yet. Rain in forecast beginning tonight and thru tomorrow.

cldt2_hg.png

We have received as much rainfall this year as we did last with Harvey according to local meteorologists.

It is terrible here, we got another 4-1/2 inches last night. Not supposed to stop for another week at least. I am in hilly country, too much rain is never a problem, but it is now. Never seen it this muddy. If you don't have a 4WD tractor, you better leave it in the barn.

greybeard":u2edqdwv said:

That water is encroaching on you :eek: . If I remember rightly it got close to the house a couple of years ago?

This photo was taken in early November of 2018 here in Kentucky. The creek you see is normally about 5 feet wide and about a foot deep, just a little stream. On this day, I believe we had 4.5 inches of rain in about 5-6 hours. This is something that would occur maybe once a year or once every few years in the past, now it's occurring multiple times per year. The rains are intense and the flooding becomes very dangerous. If you are into epigenetics as I am, this makes you wonder how the herds in this weather are going to change genetically over time. My guess is that they will be pretty darn tough! P.S. I have to be careful when this happens because if the cattle are on one side of the creek when it's running like this, the big mommas will try to cross in order to get some grain, they love their dinner and will do ANYTHING to get it. ha! I've seen our biggest cows cross creeks that would wash away a person or drown out the Gator.

Right now you can't get down our driveway unless you have a 4wd truck. And the radar is showing solid red for a few hours to come. I've been rolling the driveway flat almost every day and it's still knee deep mud in spots.

We have a frigid cold spell but not before raining 3 inches and then turning to ice and snow.

Ground still isn't froze. We can't even haul corn out of bins unless we get to it in the early morning. Last couple days with negative windchills is certainly helping all that. But we're calving now.

alisonb":13x5e538 said:
greybeard":13x5e538 said:

That water is encroaching on you :eek: . If I remember rightly it got close to the house a couple of years ago?
It got nearly 4' high in that little shop late Summer 2017. Had nearly 3' in the yard and under the house. Not an inch of my place had dry land.....anywhere from 2' to 8' of water.

What I get, almost everyone to the EastNorthEast is going to get.
Beginning Sunday morning, another system will move in from the Rockies, swoop up moisture from Gulf of Mexico into all of the East 1/2 of Texas, into Oklahoma and Arkansas and then carry the moisture on accross the Eastern 1/2 of the USA. It will spend about 24 hrs beginning Sunday pulling the moisture North, so we'll all get plenty of drought bustin type weather.....and probably some of you will see it in white.. I feel so privileged to be able to share my good weather fortune with you fine folks.

No thanks required....we're always glad to share..

I have been seeing a lot of slips, slumps and slides on the hillsides. The soil is saturated down to bedrock. There is water running out of the ground on the hillsides. The watertable just cannot take anymore.

We got that rain here. 1.4 inches after 3 inches last week and 8-10 inches of snow the week before. Supposed to be sunny tomorrow, Sat then right back into rain Sunday aft through Tuesday.
Greybeard, we really wouldn't mind if you would send all your Texas Largess to Africa instead.. :nod:

Silver":wt9jdt34 said:
I feel bad for you all wallowing around in the mud in such. But it does make me appreciate the frozen north that much more. Ground is hard as granite here, but frozen moisture is accumulating on top of it in preparation for when it will be needed later. Don't expect to see mud for 60-90 days. I honestly don't know how you folks do it down there.
Good luck to all dealing with those conditions.

Silver, we normally don't have to "do anything" like this here. Sure, a couple weeks of some mud but nothing that is more like this axle busting deep stuff and water running out of the hillside and filling every depression in the fields to where it looks like the Land of a thousand lakes.....water across roads weekly and fences down constantly. It's been trying that is for sure. Just afraid that when it does dry up, we are going to really dry up and then what? :???: :???: :???: Scary.

I just saw on another forum that NC is now up to 62.5 for the year.... We have had over 63 inches and the norm for this area is 36 +/-.... It sure has been a trial. But my son said yesterday, just be glad it isn't snow on top of all this wet ground. We would never be able to get anything fed or get around anywhere. And he works VDOT so he would be putting in 12 + hour shifts with that too....

Hurray for sun today and hopefully into tomorrow, then rain again on New years eve.

Boot Jack Bulls":2fgf421l said:
We got a couple of inches of snow last night, rain all day, more snow coming tonight, and temps in the teens coming over the weekend...gross!

We got the same, rain took away all the snow and now our place is encased in about an inch of glare ice. Slid backwards down a hill with a silage wagon yesterday, that got my heart started! We are limited to one small feeding area that we can still maneuver the tractor on without someone/thing breaking a leg until we get some snow that will freeze and stick to the glass we have on the ground. Rather would have had it all snow instead of all that rain. Even the pastures are not navigable.

Mean while here on the high dessert we look to be just a bit shy of our 10 inch annual rainfall. We have been getting an inch or so of snow 2 or 3 times a week. But it warms up enough in the afternoon to melt it off, at least at the house. Teh lows have been around 20 at night with the highs reaching maybe 40 degrees in the afternoon. Up top the snow has been piling up. There is about 18 inches up there. But there is no reason to go up there until next spring.