Clubby Bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

aussie_cowgirl":3pk3a0mb said:
Cowboy 2.0":3pk3a0mb said:
With the tricks I've got up my sleeves I bet you I could.

Our cattle are raised for beef. Our show steers, not so much. Used to they were, but now its a game of looks.

Our judges touch and feel our animals. And can tell the difference between hair and flesh. And are ultrasounded for fat measurement.

It's hard work breeding and raising an animal that has to look good and have eye appeal as well as have desirable carcass attributes. Instead of just one or the other.
Usually, judges handle the animals. Kind of depends on the show you're at and the judge themselves. It'd be interesting to have some of the market show animals untrasounded, but not real likely to happen.

It sucks that the show calf industry here has leaned more and more towards looks and less on carcass, but if you want to show and do well here, you kind of have to follow the pack. Looks also depends on region. When I was 4-H age, a lot of kids' parents owned big feedlots, so their cattle were pulled-from the-lot feedlot steers and heifers. Those kids almost always won the heavyweight divisions (in county, state, other jr. shows around the country), without their cattle being "prettied and fluffed" up. They didn't win overall, usually because they didn't have the eye appeal, but it made some of the show-bred animals look weak muscled (even with all the hair) and gave a lot of the show-bred calves a run for their money, literally- we have a family that spent $30,000 on a steer once and that calf just squeaked by with a win against a home grown feedlot animal.

aussie_cowgirl":33djqfi6 said:
Cowboy 2.0":33djqfi6 said:

Our cattle are raised for beef. Our show steers, not so much. Used to they were, but now its a game of looks.

Our judges touch and feel our animals. And can tell the difference between hair and flesh. And are ultrasounded for fat measurement.

It's hard work breeding and raising an animal that has to look good and have eye appeal as well as have desirable carcass attributes. Instead of just one or the other.

I can put muscle where need be and fat in all the right places. I understand yalls cattle are all natural. Comparing yalls cattle to ours is like comparing Pamela Anderson before and after plastic surgery. Same animal, just spruced up a little bit.

Cowboy 2.0":2kqtt6ax said:
aussie_cowgirl":2kqtt6ax said:
Cowboy 2.0":2kqtt6ax said:

I can put muscle where need be and fat in all the right places. I understand yalls cattle are all natural. Comparing yalls cattle to ours is like comparing Pamela Anderson before and after plastic surgery. Same animal, just spruced up a little bit.

You're missing the point- our judges FEEL the cattle.
You CAN NOT put muscle and fat onto an animal. Plain and simple.
Jeez, you need to get out in the real world.

I'm sure some of the better animals from the US would have a problem winning at an ordinary little country show here in Australia. Most show cattle so to speak here in Australia could quite easily be put straight out into the paddock without problem. I had a friend recently who went to Texas and was absolutely disgusted with the structural faults of some of the Brahman bulls that were being collected for AI. many have not ever seen a paddock to walk around in. You only to have look at some of the cattle that are posted by Keren and Carla to see what I mean. Good quality Murray Greys (and other breeds too from her) and Shorthorns. Don't get me wrong I know there are some very good cattle in the US as there are bad cattle in Australia. The Herefords and Polled herefords that I have seen posted here over the last couple of years (apart from Uruguayan ones) would have little chance of winning here in Australia. The Angus would have a problem as well in some cases. The black types or lookalikes wouldn't get a look in either.

Killala":1hv0npay said:
Cowboy 2.0":1hv0npay said:

I can put muscle where need be and fat in all the right places. I understand yalls cattle are all natural. Comparing yalls cattle to ours is like comparing Pamela Anderson before and after plastic surgery. Same animal, just spruced up a little bit.[/quote]

You're missing the point- our judges FEEL the cattle.
You CAN NOT put muscle and fat onto an animal. Plain and simple.
Jeez, you need to get out in the real world.[/quote]

I am in

Kind of off topic, but most of this thread is off topic, last I knew (and correct me if I'm wrong Cowboy) most of the people here who show steers are 21 and under, because there are not any steer shows for older people. In Australia, do you have steer shows that people who are no longer youth can show in?

showing71":16qwkfij said:
Kind of off topic, but most of this thread is off topic, last I knew (and correct me if I'm wrong Cowboy) most of the people here who show steers are 21 and under, because there are not any steer shows for older people. In Australia, do you have steer shows that people who are no longer youth can show in?

Well I can't show no more, I just clip and fit nowadays. As for the age, there's a couple of shows that have feeder shows that are open but other than that high school is the limit other than breed shows that go to 21.

showing71":areqbgc6 said:

Most Royal shows (which is where the major steer comps are) have a schools class and then an open class, so that breeders of any age can enter their cattle.

Killala":3be8o9e0 said:
showing71":3be8o9e0 said:

Most Royal shows (which is where the major steer comps are) have a schools class and then an open class, so that breeders of any age can enter their cattle.
I could see why there would be disagreement in the show steer characteristics between the US and Australia then.

showing71":kbatehbx said:
Killala":kbatehbx said:
showing71":kbatehbx said:

I could see why there would be disagreement in the show steer characteristics between the US and Australia then.

Why?

showing71":3p2yonys said:
Killala":3p2yonys said:
showing71":3p2yonys said:

Why?
scratch.gif

Has anyone heard of the Clubby bull named "Q-Dog"? He is a Heatwave son and is producing consistantly... awesome calves; owned by Guyer Cattle Co. and Quimby Show Calves. If anyone gets the chance, check him out. He is the new "rising star".

Keren":3uds5nbe said:
Because of the age differences in showing steers. The only people showing steers here are 21 and under, so they aren't usually showing their own stock to try and make a name for themselves in carcass traits or as a breeder. So there isn't much of an importance placed on carcass as there is on who's worked with their animal to fit it up to look the best. Not saying this is right, since they are a market animal, but that could be a reason for the differences in the 2 countries.

showing71":2mml8658 said:
Keren":2mml8658 said:
Because of the age differences in showing steers. The only people showing steers here are 21 and under, so they aren't usually showing their own stock to try and make a name for themselves in carcass traits or as a breeder. So there isn't much of an importance placed on carcass as there is on who's worked with their animal to fit it up to look the best. Not saying this is right, since they are a market animal, but that could be a reason for the differences in the 2 countries.
:nod:

The original question asked was a dang hard one to give an answer to. In clubbies, you just got to really hope the bull you used "clicked" with your cow. Sure, there are certain characteristics in our cows that we have seen might click with certain bulls. But, usually you do your homework and then hope you get a winner. Some bulls have been proven on many types of cows and are therefore very widely used. Anyhow, this argument is pointless between everyone because y'all are talking about two COMPLETELY different things. Over here in the US of A, looks are all that matter. Sorry, but that's the way it goes with club calves. Now, as far as breed shows and such, EPD's and "true" quality of progeny and beef are a little more important. But the showring is more or less a hair and bone show. Don't ask me why, but it is. There are more tricks and hard work that go into making a champion calf over here than you could dream of. From feed, to hair, to Gatorade, to refrigerated dark rooms, you have to work your butt off to learn how to use all these tools and breeding and raising and winner is a true accomplishment. Sure, probably ain't gonna be very good eating, but winning deserves a little recognition because of the work that went into it. Just different techniques and targets for "idealness" apply in different areas. Even different in different places in the club calf industry. That's what makes the world go round.

Blackcowz seems to have summed it up well...so since I opened the thread I will now close the discussion. I never realised the diversity as such, but now I do. So thanks blackcowz for concluding the discussion...Lets move on to the next topic. :clap:

We have a Heatwave Steer. I feel like I can't ever turn my back on him. He is unpredictable. For example, one day, he tore out and broke and ran. He tore down fence and all. It took me 45 minutes to get him back to the barn. The following day (and everyday since) I have tried to spook him. He seems as calm as can be. BUT...I always feel like something may happen any minute. He just acts spooky!

Other sires we've used:
Star Power - Not impressed with the calves and they are out of AWESOME moms
Macho - Nice calves
Dream On- Nice calves
Who Made Who- not calved yet

Cowboy 2.0":3qi09dkz said:
I can put muscle where need be and fat in all the right places. I understand yalls cattle are all natural. Comparing yalls cattle to ours is like comparing Pamela Anderson before and after plastic surgery. Same animal, just spruced up a little bit.[/

Cowboy 2.0":3qi09dkz said:
With the tricks I've got up my sleeves I bet you I could.[/

Oh man, this makes me sick :mrgreen: .
For a young man to say this..........just makes me want to vomit.
What kind of crap did you pull, shame shame shame. :frowns:
Anyone who has to stoop so low as to alter an animal using the above methods, needs to be kicked in the head. :shock:
Why would you even raise an animal that you wouldnt eat yourself, and what the heck............60 days to feed out after the fair because of drugs :???: Why in the world would you ever think of doing that to an animal, if you are affraid of eating it then why make someone else eat it.
( :mad: Get a flipping clue :mad: )
What puzzles me the most is why you think you need to do this to the animals to win.
Boy, you just broke my :heart:
holy crap :cry2: :secret:

Sorry Splinter........it's the MOM in me that want's to put that boy over my knee. Then I stand back and take another look............someone had to teach this kid all these bad things :cry2:

They look at butchering at show time. There is some sort of law or USDA regulation saying show cattle have to be quarintined for 60-90 days because of withdrawel time. Would I eat any show steer right after the show, probably not. After 60 days, yea because they would be properly finished.

show steer up - not that I agree with those quotes from cowboy at all ;-) I have to stick up for him in this one.

if you look at the cattle he has posted - it is clear that he knows exactly how to pick the good ones, breed the good ones, feed them and present them as class winners - and he can do that in slick shows. But he also knows how to play the game of fitting, feeding and clipping to get to the top of the class in hair shows. And that is all it is - a game.