Custom Feed Recipes for Heifers and bulls?

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I don't like going the route of buying name brand show feed and have recently stared mixing my own. Currently I feed a mix that is soybean holes, corn gluten hole pellets, crimped corn, oats and topped with beet pulp and cherry oil. I have used cotton seed before in the mix.

I'm going to start feeding more fill and less feed. What do you as a fill and what mix of feed do you add it to?

My calves are picky eaters and they never finish what they eat and they aren't being over fed.

Your soy hulls and your beetpulp are high in fiber already so unless you don't have enough in your mix it should be OK. You can add some cotton seed hulls in for more roughage if you like, or shop around for one of the concentrates and add your ingredients to it. Purina grand fortifier comes to mind and they also give some examples of what you can mix in on their website.

herefordhandler16":12615o88 said:
I don't like going the route of buying name brand show feed and have recently stared mixing my own. Currently I feed a mix that is soybean holes, corn gluten hole pellets, crimped corn, oats and topped with beet pulp and cherry oil. I have used cotton seed before in the mix.

I'm going to start feeding more fill and less feed. What do you as a fill and what mix of feed do you add it to?

My calves are picky eaters and they never finish what they eat and they aren't being over fed.
How much of each ingredient do you put in the mix and what's the purpose of the cherry oil?

This is my recipe for the replacement heifers

Ingredients:
- 40% Corn: Provides energy for growth and development.
- 25% Soybean Meal: High-quality protein source for muscle development.
- 15% Alfalfa Pellets: Good source of fiber, calcium, and other essential nutrients.
- 10% Wheat Bran: Adds fiber and helps with digestion.
- 5% Flaxseed: Rich in omega-3 fatty acids for healthy skin and coat.
- 5% Mineral and Vitamin Mix: Provides essential minerals and vitamins for overall health.

Instructions:
1. Measure out the desired quantities of each ingredient based on the percentages mentioned above. Adjust the quantities according to the number of heifers and their nutritional needs.
2. Combine the ingredients thoroughly in a large mixing container or feed mixer.
3. Store the feed mix in a clean, dry, and rodent-proof container to maintain its freshness and quality.
4. Feed the replacement heifers with the prepared mix twice a day, ensuring that they have access to fresh, clean water at all times.
5. Monitor the heifers' body condition, growth, and overall health regularly, and adjust the feeding amounts if needed.

this is my recipe for bulls

Ingredients:
- 45% Corn: Provides energy for growth and maintenance.
- 20% Soybean Meal: High-quality protein source for muscle development.
- 15% Barley: Adds fiber and additional energy.
- 10% Cottonseed Meal: Provides protein and essential amino acids.
- 5% Wheat Bran: Adds fiber and helps with digestion.
- 5% Molasses: Enhances palatability and provides additional energy.

Instructions:
1. Measure out the desired quantities of each ingredient based on the percentages mentioned above. Adjust the quantities according to the number of bulls and their nutritional needs.
2. Combine the ingredients thoroughly in a large mixing container or feed mixer.
3. Store the feed mix in a clean, dry, and rodent-proof container to maintain its freshness and quality.
4. Feed the bulls with the prepared mix twice a day, ensuring that they have access to fresh, clean water at all times.
5. Monitor the bulls' body condition, growth, and overall health regularly, and adjust the feeding amounts if needed.

Latest posts