clover seed

Help Support CattleToday:

scf84

Reaction score
how to plant clover in a pasture with out disturbing the ground? will i get much up to just broadcast on top of ground before a good rain?

I had a man tell me he puts a scoop of clover seed in his mineral feeder every so often.

Try sowing in the dark of the moon in Feb...use a grass harrow too if you have one

My opinion for what it's worth, clover must have at least good soil contact to do well. I spread some each winter and pull a chain drag over it. Unrolling hay over the area works decent as the hoof activity opens it up to soil contact.

It helps if it is a variety that has a high %age of hard seed. Being an annual I think clovers are able to fight their way through the grasses. If conditions are not favourable the hard seed should survive until the following season.

Ken

If you've got a chain drag or a pasture harrow it'll make your money spent on seed much more well spent. Broadcast is fine but like said above, it needs good soil contact.

Latest UT recommendation is to plant clover in strips instead of the entire field so cattle can regulate their intake.

scf84 said:
how to plant clover in a pasture with out disturbing the ground? will i get much up to just broadcast on top of ground before a good rain?

I broadcast on existing fields I try to let the cows eat it down close so the seed is more likely to find its way down. I have planted a lot of different clovers but by far cinnamon is my favorite and seems to last longer. I like crimson too

shaz said:
Latest UT recommendation is to plant clover in strips instead of the entire field so cattle can regulate their intake.

That would make it easier to sow also.

Latest posts