Cloned Meat Safe to Eat

Help Support CattleToday:

rocket2222

Reaction score
FDA: Cloned Meat Safe to Eat

Scientists find no difference from conventional animal meat and say special labels are not needed.

If was to be labeled cloned, nobody would buy it, unless it was right much cheaper than conventional beef.

i would pay exactly the same for it. genetically altered might be a little different.

I dson't see the benefit to cloning.The genetics will have improved buy the time the bull passes on and it would be more beneficial to use one of their superior sons. As for cloning steers it seems that it would be too expensive and anyway there are plenty of steers out there.

Genetic alteration reserved to plants does not seem to be a problem.

From a report I read in a newspaper the other day, [the Washington Post] they are still having problems with a lot of cloned calves dying from a host of different ailments not long after birth and they [the vets] don't know why theres a much greater death rate with cloned calves. Calves dying; they don't know WHY, BUT its safe to eat. YEAH RIGHT.

This was all over the press today. From what I understand the FDA has not approved cloned animals for consumption, but approved cloned animals for breeding, which may or may not fall into the food chain.

alan

AngusSenorita":1n5me6y0 said:
I dson't see the benefit to cloning.The genetics will have improved buy the time the bull passes on and it would be more beneficial to use one of their superior sons.

what's the #1 consumer complaint with beef? consistency.

if all beef had the same genetics, all beef would have the same potential and the problems would be systematically eliminated because every feeder is starting with the same basis.

how do you think the "genetics will have improved"? do you think there werent good steaks 50 years ago? do you think steaks taste better today than they used to? you mean the genetics will have changed. this alone takes away consistency and consumer satisfaction.

if consumers knew exactly what they were getting every time (even if it wasnt the best), you would see a major increase in beef market share .

Alan":2t473bqk said:
This was all over the press today. From what I understand the FDA has not approved cloned animals for consumption, but approved cloned animals for breeding, which may or may not fall into the food chain.

alan

We have had cloned breeding stock for a few years. I might have misunderstood this ruling but the way I understood it you can now eat the clones. I really don't care if some cloned old cow is 1/500th of my Big Mac pattie came from a wore out clone or not.

Brandonm2":25t0sjam said:
Alan":25t0sjam said:

alan

We have had cloned breeding stock for a few years. I might have misunderstood this ruling but the way I understood it you can now eat the clones. I really don't care if some cloned old cow is 1/500th of my Big Mac pattie came from a wore out clone or not.

If cloned meat goes into a Big Mac pattie, 65% of the Am Public is done buying there. I'd be done buying there, forever. I don't think the Macsters will let it happen.

I think it is like the hormones, a small vocal faction will make a lot of noise; but most people (like me) wouldn't care if they put some kangaroo or iguana in there. How will Swift or Tyson know whether an old cull cow from Texas county Missourri is a clone or not. They will grind her up and mix her with the vats going too McDonalds whatever silly policy Mickey D's does or does not announce.

Brandonm2":1h1e2xes said:
I think it is like the hormones, a small vocal faction will make a lot of noise; but most people (like me) wouldn't care if they put some kangaroo or iguana in there. How will Swift or Tyson know whether an old cull cow from Texas county Missourri is a clone or not. They will grind her up and mix her with the vats going too McDonalds whatever silly policy Mickey D's does or does not announce.

Maybe you should watch the news. If the Macsters did, they aren't going to take a chance. The media conducted the poll, posted the results on the national news. An absolute 65% is an awful lot of stock holders, in addition to consumers.

Alan":21xdmqds said:

alan
What they have said is that "it is as safe to consume as conventional products". They can't really say it is safe to eat yet because there are no cloned products on the market right now. They don't say anything about it only being safe for breeding purposes although they do mention the offspring would also be safe to consume.

Compared to some of the stuff I ate willingly in some other countrys I wouldn;t have a problem with meat from a clone. A balute for instance

dun

Monsanto, Pharmacia, Upjohn, Pfizer and others have already "tested the water" with plant cloning.

Do you think the Mickey D CEO is not paying attention? Shareholders can drop him in a heartbeat. They were already catching grief over French Fries and they are trying their darndest to restore consumer confidence, but more importantly, SHAREHOLDER Confidence.

I don't have a problem tossing CEO's with my proxy votes.

rocket2222":2dqigq9m said:
From a report I read in a newspaper the other day, [the Washington Post] they are still having problems with a lot of cloned calves dying from a host of different ailments not long after birth and they [the vets] don't know why theres a much greater death rate with cloned calves. Calves dying; they don't know WHY, BUT its safe to eat. YEAH RIGHT.

Bingo. My thoughts exactly. Let's find out why these animals die more easily before we rush to put them in our food chain.

I don't want to eat it but then I don't like the thought of all the hormones either. Keeps me eating at home more.

backhoeboogie said:
Monsanto, Pharmacia, Upjohn, Pfizer and others have already "tested the water" with plant cloning.

Do you think the Mickey D CEO is not paying attention? Shareholders can drop him in a heartbeat. They were already catching grief over French Fries and they are trying their darndest to restore consumer confidence, but more importantly, SHAREHOLDER Confidence.

I don't have a problem tossing CEO's with my proxy votes.

[/quote

I think you are comparing 2 seperate things when you are talking gmo plants to clones.

I don't have any evidence...the food chain already contains cloned beef. This is why I believe the FDA will make it legal because there is no way to tell the difference of one animal that is cloned and one that is not cloned. They cannot stop it, yet that is. All you need is cell tissue and a recipient.

For example: I can take a piece of tissue of a plant (grape plant) and place the plant paricle in a sterile medium. Set it aside for a couple of days under a flourescent light and it will start growing just like its momma. In this case, the plant does not need a recipient.

Imagine the ramifications...say you owned Mr. Felt 3008 which just had 5 straws of semen sold for $550 a whack @ the Huth dispersal sale. You could just obtain tissue samples, grow them in tubes (in vitro) then place them in your recipients.

Keep in mind all the technology used to do this is patented so you must pay the royalty which wil make it more costly.

backhoeboogie":fs1c9pd3 said:
Brandonm2":fs1c9pd3 said:

Maybe you should watch the news. If the Macsters did, they aren't going to take a chance. The media conducted the poll, posted the results on the national news. An absolute 65% is an awful lot of stock holders, in addition to consumers.

Maybe you should read the science. McDonalds couldn't keep them out of their burgers if they wanted too. I can't eyeball a cow and tell you that she was a clone and they can't either. There is no test you can use to tell a cloned cow from your cows. "IF" I wanted too clone a half dozen copies of my favorite white face cow; then one of em came up lame or got old and I took her to the stockyard with another two hundred fall culls destined for the burger grinder you can't sort out that clone. It is absolutely impossible. The public already eats genetically modified corn, wheat, tomatoes, etc and wears g.m. cotton. They either eat it or they can grow it themselves and you and I both know that ain't no option. Maybe they can pay a premium for certified clone free beef; BUT does anybody REALLY believe that certification is worth diddly??? We all were scared that the public would object too Somatatropin injected dairy cows. We all drink it every day and DON"T even think about it. It will be the same with cloned burger meat, although I doubt that we will ever see MANY clones entering the food supply. The process is simply too expensive for many of us to do it on a regular basis.

Brandonm2":2mpfsh8h said:
The public already eats genetically modified corn, wheat, tomatoes, etc and wears g.m. cotton. They either eat it or they can grow it themselves and you and I both know that ain't no option.

Google "Monsanto stockholder confidence". Then think about what you just said.

Do you own stock? I think not. If you did, you'd know what happened.

We are all going to be required to identify our cows. The law is coming, although postponed a few times now.

backhoeboogie":miy6nwfn said:
Brandonm2":miy6nwfn said:
The public already eats genetically modified corn, wheat, tomatoes, etc and wears g.m. cotton. They either eat it or they can grow it themselves and you and I both know that ain't no option.

Google "Monsanto stockholder confidence". Then think about what you just said.

Do you own stock? I think not. If you did, you'd know what happened.

We are all going to be required to identify our cows. The law is coming, although postponed a few times now.

It don't take a genius too cut out an ear tag if there is a dollar too be made. I do own stock (in about 35 companies) and I think most shareholders are deluded if they they think that they or the CEO really have ANY say in this. IF Big daddygov wants too keep clones out of the food supply; then outlaw cloning. Don't let somebody clone his best cow then make up some kind of ridiculous proclamation that he dump the clone's milk OR that he can't collect the $700 she is worth when her breeding career is over. IF you believe that that order is routinely obeyed I have this bridge I would like too sell you.

Latest posts