Cloned Meat Safe to Eat

Help Support CattleToday:

Dun and Oldtimer if we get a slow worldwide newsday just how could they set out to findout if there is any cloned meat in the marketplace? Is there a genetic marker that I haven't heard about?

mwj":1kzancvx said:
Dun and Oldtimer if we get a slow worldwide newsday just how could they set out to findout if there is any cloned meat in the marketplace? Is there a genetic marker that I haven't heard about?

There doesn;t have to be any in the foodchain. The media will just hype it up to the point that people will think that all meat will be tainted. Sensationalism sells papers (and tv ad time). You'll notice I don;t have a lot of comfort with the media reporting news accurately

dun

20 years ago I had not heard of Subway Restaurants. Now they are getting bigger than a lot of the old burger chains. It affects the market.

Everyone seems to overlook the ethics of cloning, and how the consumer feels about it. It will affect the market.

Thousands of years ago man domesticated animals that later became known as cattle. Since then we have been controling the genetics of these in some way shape or form. I beleive these animals were put here for our use. None of what is being done now is really any different than what has been done in the last 10,000 years. After everone gets use to the change it seems to be acceptable. Cloneing has occured in nature with DNA identical twins. It can now be done in the lab., and just seems unacceptical to some people. I guess the market place will determine its future.

Looks like its a moot point for now anyhow....

-------------------------------------------

US: FDA says no to clones, for now

2 January 2007| Source: just-food.com

The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has announced it will continue to ask producers and breeders not to introduce food from animal clones into the food supply.

The agency has assessed such foods as safe, but continues to address the associated risks.

The FDA has issued three documents on the safety of animal cloning – a draft risk assessment, a proposed risk management plan and a draft guidance for industry.

Its draft risk assessment reportedly found that meat and milk from clones of adult cattle, pigs and goats, and their offspring, are as safe to eat as food from conventionally bred animals. The assessment was peer-reviewed by a group of independent scientific experts in cloning and animal health.

Due to limited data on sheep clones, in the draft guidance FDA recommends that sheep clones not be used for human food.

"Based on FDA's analysis of hundreds of peer-reviewed publications and other studies on the health and food composition of clones and their offspring, the draft risk assessment has determined that meat and milk from clones and their offspring are as safe as food we eat every day," said Stephen Sundlof, director of FDA's Center for Veterinary Medicine. "Cloning poses no unique risks to animal health when compared to other assisted reproductive technologies currently in use in US agriculture."

The proposed risk management plan addressed risks to animal health and potential remaining uncertainties associated with feed and food from animal clones and their offspring.

The proposed plan outlined measures that FDA might take to address the risks that cloning poses to animals involved in the cloning process, including a set of care standards for animals involved in the cloning process.

"Because the release of the draft risk assessment and proposed risk management plan marks the beginning of our interaction with the public on these issues, we are continuing to ask producers of clones and livestock breeders to voluntarily refrain from introducing food products from these animals into commerce so that we will have the opportunity to consider the public's comments and to issue any final documents as warranted," said Sundlof.

The draft guidance for industry addresses the use of food and feed products derived from clones and their offspring, directed at clone producers, livestock breeders, and farmers and ranchers purchasing clones. It includes the agency's current thinking on the use of clones and their offspring in human food or animal feed.

In the draft guidance, FDA does not recommend any special measures relating to human food use of offspring of clones of any species. The FDA said that because of their cost and rarity, clones would be used mainly to pass on naturally occurring, desirable traits such as disease resistance and higher quality meat to production herds.

just-food.com

dun":ra45pjbr said:
Compared to some of the stuff I ate willingly in some other countrys I wouldn;t have a problem with meat from a clone. A balute for instance

dun

DUN,

When were you last in the Philippines? Isn't it gross when they eat the balute and used the bones to pick the feathers from their teeth.

Have you tried the dried salted fish and squid? The chittlings, the testicals? I have eaten all of those in the States many years ago so was not shocked though they were all surprised as they said I was the first 'white man' to spend a night in the village or eat their food. One new one for me was a soup with chewey little unidentifiable rubber 'pencil erasers' in it. Turns out it was goat skin. When they butcher a goat they scrape the skin and cut it in little pieces that go into the soup pot.

My wife is Filipina and we also own a place there. When we go
'home' to visit I no longer ask what it is that I am eating. I am afraid they will tell me. Anyone who has eaten provincial (peasant) cooking in the Philippines will never again complain about their beef being dry or tough.

Angus/Brangus said:
I'm not sure what the connection is between personal values and those that go to "church". quote]

I believe the connection is that many religious leaders would condemn it as 'unnatural' and therefore 'ungodly'.

Wouldn't bother me personally as I disagree with most of what I hear from the pulpit pounders already but it would influence a lot of people (followers) who are unable to think for themselves.

The Ethics card is often played with cloning and i still don't know why. Not to be rude but what is wrong with cloning? (cattle) If people understood the cloning process and left their hollywood versions of what cloning is home i doubt we would many people with an ethical objection.

I do believe the ban on cloned meat is voluntary. What do you call a rule that is not enforced or required? If they really thought there was a risk we would see alittle different policy.

General News
Major British grocers to boycott meat from cloned animals

By Pete Hisey on 1/12/2007 for Meatingplace.com

Reacting to reports that a cloned cow from the United States has birthed a calf on a British farm, virtually all major British grocery chains have pledged to boycott meat from clones or their offspring.

Tesco, Wal-Mart's Asda chain, Morrisons and Marks & Spencer were among the chains participating in the boycott, which would include meat, milk or "anything else from clones or their offspring," according to an Asda spokesperson.

British law prohibits the sale of meat or milk from cloned animals, but makes no mention of the offspring of clones. According to The Daily Mail, the British Food Standards Agency is in emergency talks with European Union officials about the gap in regulations that allows products from clone offspring to be sold.

The Food and Drug Administration is in the process of approving the sale of meat from clones and their offspring in the United States, and has received strong criticism from consumers' groups.

On Thursday, a major dairy processor, Petaluma, Calif.-based Clover Stornetta, announced that it will not accept milk from cloned animals.

How do they propose to identify the clone or there offspring :roll: Have they found the genetic marker that identifies them as unfit for human consumption?

So now the Brits, the same people who gave the world Mad Cow Disease, are going to lecture us about the safety of cloning. What gaul! Oops, what gall. The gauls (French) are on the south bank of the channel, not that they don't have plenty of gall to go around themselves.

EXACTLY, how many people died (and animals if we are going to be touchy feely about it) because they fed ground up carcasses to their livestock and didn't make their local butchers install 80 year old technology....ie refrigeration???

Brandonm2":333kb2tb said:
EXACTLY, how many people died (and animals if we are going to be touchy feely about it) because they fed ground up carcasses to their livestock and didn't make their local butchers install 80 year old technology....ie refrigeration???

Did somebody leave the gate open? Did a tree fall on the fence? How did you get to the other side Brandonm2? On page 1 you don't care where your Mickey D burger comes from!

No scientifically literate person has any fear of their cheeseburger. I did not change my opinion one bit. Reread my post, apparently you are having reading comprehenion problems today.

Latest posts