Clearing land

Help Support CattleToday:

dbc

Reaction score
When yall clear yalls land of trees how do yall do it? Will a timber company come in and do it, and if so do they pay you for the wood or make you pay them for doing it? Just curious

OK, thanks. What kind of time does it take to do this? like how long per acre on avg.?

dbc":27knsnfz said:
OK, thanks. What kind of time does it take to do this? like how long per acre on avg.?

Where are you in Texas? That makes a big difference.

I wouldn't go paying someone $100 an hour to clear land if I were you. Unless you have a small lot. But then again, I am a tightwad. I bought a Caterpillar crawler loader. Of course, then there's the backhoe too. Between my full time day job, playing with the cows, selling the hay, I might be done clearing land is something like - 8 years, if there's ever enough time to ride the Cat.

Last year I became a grandaddy; each daughter had a baby. Grandma has me building play areas and such. I hauled in topsoil loads with my dump trailer Tuesday and spread it under the huge oak cluster adjacent to the house. Yesterday I went and picked up pallets of San Augustine sod (nothing but the best for them babies). Then I put together a 16 by 12 foot treated 2 by 6 box. Today I am going to haul loads of pea gravel to fill that and another locale. When I get done with that, I will get to assemble all the play stuff Grandma (a.k.a. "Nanna") has bought. Let me tell you, there's nothing more dangerous than a Grandma with a checkbook. Anyway, I am not getting brush and trees pushed.

I did put in $6500 worth of fertilizer earlier in the week.

expect $500+/acre to push all of the stumps into a pile after the trees are gone.

if there is a decent stand (10 acres+) of mature pines (12" diameter+) without a lot of limbs, the lumber companies will be interested in clearing it.

dbc":2qfbl61j said:
When yall clear yalls land of trees how do yall do it? Will a timber company come in and do it, and if so do they pay you for the wood or make you pay them for doing it? Just curious
if you have saleable timber.id sale it to a logging company.but remember if you do that.youll still have to hire a dozer to pile the tree tops an get the stumps out.so either way itll cost you.around here a d8 dozer runs $100 an hr.with a min of 8hrs work on a place.when your clearing land you want the junk trees gone .leaving the good trees.

bigbull338":ys1vm89y said:
dbc":ys1vm89y said:
if you have saleable timber.id sale it to a logging company.but remember if you do that.youll still have to hire a dozer to pile the tree tops an get the stumps out.so either way itll cost you.around here a d8 dozer runs $100 an hr.with a min of 8hrs work on a place.when your clearing land you want the junk trees gone .leaving the good trees.

I find it much easier to push over standing trees with my track-loader than cutting them first and trying to remove the stumps later. I push the tree over and then cut the stump / root ball off with a chainsaw. The height and weight of the tree gives you more leverage then the stump does. After cutting the stump off I just push the tree to the side and let the local logger boys come in and trim the tops and cut the logs. I get paid a premium because they do not have to fell the tree and I get the benefit of not having to dig out the stumps. Getting up stumps is a pain. On big trees I have to dig around one side and then use that dirt to make a small ramp on the other side of the tree so that I can push from a higher position. But that is a really big tree.

dbc":d9dnxai7 said:

Here you sell the timber and by the time you finsh cleaning up the mess you are usually in the hole. Now if you can operate a dozer and rent it yourself you usually have a little money to put in your pocket. Thats running a D-8 with a shear blade thats the fastest way to go from mess to pasture. Or you can go the real expensive way of having a dozer come in clean and burn there mess then grind out the stumps.
Example I sold 40,000 dollars worth of timber and spent 27,000 on dozer rental that's me operating the dozer.

dbc":3mz8ngkc said:

Dont I wish...........all we have around here is cedar and oak wilt,the oak makes good fire wood,cedar just makes a mess,the method I use is a skidsteer and shear/chain saw............good luck

The reason im asking is because some land that runs into our land has come up for sale. problem is only 20 acres are grazable with the other 30 covered with trees(some of which are pines). Electricity is already there, and a pond is also already dug. Just curious if you think this would be a wise investment, or end up costing me more than its worth.

dbc":7ry6z0jr said:
The reason im asking is because some land that runs into our land has come up for sale. problem is only 20 acres are grazable with the other 30 covered with trees(some of which are pines). Electricity is already there, and a pond is also already dug. Just curious if you think this would be a wise investment, or end up costing me more than its worth.

The land itself would be a good investment if you can buy it right. You could leave itt as it as and not clear it. May very well have more value in the future with the trees then it would in grass

dun

I thought it would be a good investment. Back on the trees for a sec. how do the lumber companies pay you is by the tree or what?

My experience has been that after a few months of drying and knocking as much dirt off the root ball as possible that they don't burn very well. Might try letting them dry longer. Thanks!

here the equipment operators charge by the acre .(200-225 per acre) on small tracts some charge a drop fee.this wayeveryone knows up front the cost no surprises at completion

dbc":2busyfo2 said:
I thought it would be a good investment. Back on the trees for a sec. how do the lumber companies pay you is by the tree or what?

In our area you get paid by the ton. The price per ton depends on the type ( pine, oak, etc ) and size ( logs vs. pulpwood ) of the timber.

;-)

The best way I have found to clear stumps is a large "Trackhoe" with a "Thumb" on it.

You can dig a hole next to the stump and push the stump in the hole with the bucket, then cover it up.

Or.........you can dig the stumps up, grab them with the bucket and shake ALL the dirt off it for burning and make a neat pile with no dirt.

You'd be surprised how little time it takes to do it this way.

You can also push the whole tree over with the Trackhoe, shake the dirt off and cut the stump and top the tree with your power saw.

A dozer only makes a messy pile with way too much dirt in it.

Dynamite, it's so much more fun, or Caustics jigamaflogit, that'll work. How are ya, you old coot? I'm gettin good rain right now,
5:00PM, 3\26\07.

Dick

Latest posts