Clearing Land

Help Support CattleToday:

East Caney

Reaction score
I have been running my cows on about 40 acres of land that has grown up with sapling trees. They're all 1/2" to 2" in diameter. I've been shredding them down (which is very tedious).

Anyway, the small stumps and roots are still in the ground. There's native grass that has really greened up where the trees were shredded. How do I go about getting the stumps and roots out of the ground without scraping away all the native grass?

I have a box blade, c-tine cultivator (little one-row), and 5 1/2' disc. I thought the box blade would be good because of the shanks, but the rear blade scrapes everything leaving no grass. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

We have forty acres here and when we bought the place about 1/3 was growing back up with 1/2 to 2" mesquite brush. I'm using a straight shaft weed eater with a skilsaw blade on it and cutting the trunks at and even below ground level and then spraying them with Round-Up and diesel. I seldom see anything trying to come back and the other alternatives were root plowing or doing what your doing and I didn't want to deal with the stumps. BTW the skilsaw blade is also tuff on rattlesnakes. :lol: Z

Don't know of any practical way to get the stumps and roots out of ground w/o disturbing grass. Important thing is to kill the stumps and roots to prevent sprouting. Try spraying Remedy or Garlon and just let the stumps and things rot.

Root Rake
Mar0602.jpg

salt will kill back the roots til they rot off. apply around the stump. safe for the cattle too...but it aint instant either

Texas Gal":2z8i3gra said:
CB,
Is that root available commercially or is it custom engineered?

Homemade if the tractor can run over it it will pull it up.
Its great for burning piles as you can keep the fire pile pushed up, clearing brush,and leveling new ground.

Around here that would be classified is a "rock make". Everytime you pull it you just make more rocks

East Caney":2g9cozdb said:
I have been running my cows on about 40 acres of land that has grown up with sapling trees. They're all 1/2" to 2" in diameter. I've been shredding them down (which is very tedious).

Anyway, the small stumps and roots are still in the ground. There's native grass that has really greened up where the trees were shredded. How do I go about getting the stumps and roots out of the ground without scraping away all the native grass?

I have a box blade, c-tine cultivator (little one-row), and 5 1/2' disc. I thought the box blade would be good because of the shanks, but the rear blade scrapes everything leaving no grass. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
if you dont like the tree stobbs in the pasture.hire a stump grinder to come in an grind them below the ground.

I once calculated how many square foot of grass was taken up by stumps. Made me a believer in getting them out.

dun

I'm also wondering if it is something I can get from a tractor dealer, rather than having it made. I also have small trees in an area that will come down in a couple years. Right now i they are well placed, growing, future firewood. :D But the main thing is I have areas of several pastures, that several years back a knuckle head ran a truck through (cookies in the mud), making deep ruts across large areas. That looks like it will work great to even them out. I should add that I know I can get an arena rake but I like the idea of several rows of tines, I think it would work a lot better.

Thanks,
Alan

Caustic, that looks like exacly what I need...never thought to have something custom made. I don't cut metal well enough to do it myself.

I don't even think I'd have to have that many shanks. Anyway, that gave me a great idea. Thanks.

I don't think they're of the size that they should be ground. I can walk on them and then push over in the sandy soil. I don't mind disturbing the grass, I just don't want to leave a dirt field and have to completely reseed. There are just so many of them.

East Caney":11gkhaz8 said:
Caustic, that looks like exacly what I need...never thought to have something custom made. I don't cut metal well enough to do it myself.

I don't even think I'd have to have that many shanks. Anyway, that gave me a great idea. Thanks.

I don't think they're of the size that they should be ground. I can walk on them and then push over in the sandy soil. I don't mind disturbing the grass, I just don't want to leave a dirt field and have to completely reseed. There are just so many of them.

You need that many shanks, as it started out with less. With less it will slide around the roots and stumps.
It has three rows of teeth facing forward and one row facing backwards. When the rake fills up just pick it up and pull foward it dumps the load. Then you can drop the rake and push roots limbs and brush in a pile to burn.
Secondly you are not going to find anything heavy duty enough from a dealer.
That rake is made out of heavy wall 2 5/8" drill stem.

bigbull338":2g6ft9lc said:
East Caney":2g6ft9lc said:

if you dont like the tree stobbs in the pasture.hire a stump grinder to come in an grind them below the ground.

And for the next ten years as they rot out below ground you have pot holes to fill. I have been to every one of these rodeo's when it comes to clearing timber for pasture. The best way is a D-9 with a shear balde and a D-7 following with a rake better have a pretty thick checkbook for that one as the last time I had it done was 200 an hour. But they can clear about twenty acres a day.

Caustic Burno":1jrq4gef said:
And for the next ten years as they rot out below ground you have pot holes to fill. I have been to every one of these rodeo's when it comes to clearing timber for pasture. The best way is a D-9 with a shear balde and a D-7 following with a rake better have a pretty thick checkbook for that one as the last time I had it done was 200 an hour. But they can clear about twenty acres a day.

My track loader does a decent job but it is not nearly that fast.

As far as the teeth go for that rake of yours, I have been saving all the backhoe teeth. They are the forked rock teeth. The side or bottom breaks and you can not longer pin them. The teeth still work when you weld them to a good drag. I buy the 23WTL teeth.

Caustic,
What are the spacing between the teeth on your root rake?
Also how long are they?
Thanks
Ken

If your not in a big hurry, meaning six to eight months , best is to use swine. I put 20 swine in an acre and within 6 months there is nothing left. I process all the timber, put up an electric fence and let them go. The land is tilled, naturally fertilized and not a root in sight. They also get out all the weeds and thistle. I go out every once in a while, grab all the stumps and throw them into the burn pile. I drag a 6' rake behind my ATV levelling everything out.

Whole process cost me nothing.

Cheers,

KenB":c9b0u3l7 said:
Caustic,
Also how long are they?
Thanks
Ken

Spacing is eight inches and the row in front are set where the are in the middle of the row behind so when you drag you are digging every 4 inches. The teeth are ten inches long.
Working the rake is slow to do a good job, also if you look you can see repairs made here and there thats from hooking it up to the 100hP tractors.
Works great on the 70 hp range.

Caustic Burno":c3wfkhi5 said:
KenB":c3wfkhi5 said:
Caustic,
Also how long are they?
Thanks
Ken

Spacing is eight inches and the row in front are set where the are in the middle of the row behind so when you drag you are digging every 4 inches. The teeth are ten inches long.
Working the rake is slow to do a good job, also if you look you can see repairs made here and there thats from hooking it up to the 100hP tractors.
Works great on the 70 hp range.

Thanks, I might try and build one, if I can find something to make the teeth out of.

Latest posts