Clarification please

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
A few members have mentioned the idea of going Galt and I truly like this idea but I'm uncertain about something. If you go Galt can you still sell your calves. I loaded a load today and then it occurred to me after they were gone that I may have made an error. Or maybe I didn't. :???:

Going Galt is a good concept. I simply know I could never do it. It seems I am simply too darn stubborn.

my mama always told me it was better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak (or type) and remove all doubt.....

with that being said.....

what the devil is "going galt" ?

The way I understand it, its similar to a mule that just sits down and will no longer pull the plow.

PD research Atlas Schrugged. It's good reading, just very scarry how people can predict the future. Now there's 2 movies out about
the future of our country. The book is way better. It's hard to keep politics out of this.

I looked it up. I know wikipedia is not the best source but it explained it.

The phrase "going John Galt" or simply "going Galt" has been used by psychologist Helen Smith[12] and others[13] to describe productive members of society cutting back on work in response to the projected increase in U.S. marginal tax rates, increased limits on tax deductions, and the use of tax revenues for causes they regard as immoral. Some people who claimed to be "going John Galt" discussed their reasons on a PJTV program in March 2009.[14] "Who is John Galt?" signs were seen at Tea Party protests held in the United States and at banking protests in London in April 2009.[15] Ron Paul's American presidential campaign of 2008 included a play on the phrase, using "Who is Ron Paul?" on campaign T-shirts; his Congressional web site biography uses the same title.[16]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Galt

Jogeephus":241pkeh2 said:
The way I understand it, its similar to a mule that just sits down and will no longer pull the plow.

Well, with the weather being the way it's been the past 5-6 years, I've finally tired of wasting my labors as well as my $ trying to produce the most I could from my acreage. I've STOPPED putting out fertilizer on pastures and hay fields. (at least for now) I've STOPPED all pasture renovations. (although I do have 40 acres of tilled ground I want to put into permanent pasture to take advantage of even less equipment needs, breakdown repairs and fuel) I've STOPPED tillage for winter pasture (oats) and only no-tilled gulfcoast rye on 30 acres (relaps I guess cause I can't just not do nothing) What I've gained is more time to do other things rather than earn a living for seed companies, part manufacturers, fuel companies....and the list goes on... and in the end as my recent income tax estimate for 2012 shows...I'll show a profit for the second year in a row. Although it's only 18 cents for the year...it's better than the previous 15 or so years where I only had losses....

So I can identify with the mule...That plow can...................................................... :shock:

Vette, that a 17% increase. Maybe the the change is working. Maybe I need to rethink things and keep chasing the carrot.

Jogeephus":1hoymeo1 said:
Vette, that a 17% increase. Maybe the the change is working. Maybe I need to rethink things and keep chasing the carrot.
Nahhh....dime, nickle and 3 pennys...better things to chase after :nod: , don't think they even make you take them anymore. Just take the plastic card and trade for what you want. The accounting is subjective as to what you choose to include, which time frame you select, and just how you look at the numbers.

Jogeephus":3u9guzqo said:
A few members have mentioned the idea of going Galt and I truly like this idea but I'm uncertain about something. If you go Galt can you still sell your calves. I loaded a load today and then it occurred to me after they were gone that I may have made an error. Or maybe I didn't. :???:

I like the barter system. I still get to be productive but I can trade my surplus for things I need without taxation. If you can just hold onto those calves and some garden produce until spring I'd be more than happy to trade you a load of calves and some garden produce for them. We'd both come out on the deal and the government would never know about our transaction. :nod:

cow pollinater":3ckuw9em said:
Jogeephus":3ckuw9em said:

I like the barter system. I still get to be productive but I can trade my surplus for things I need without taxation. If you can just hold onto those calves and some garden produce until spring I'd be more than happy to trade you a load of calves and some garden produce for them. We'd both come out on the deal and the government would never know about our transaction. :nod:

While I don't know why this sounds tempting ..... it does. Almost gratifying.

But you know, if I read between the lines in Vette's post correctly, I think he is spending his time more wisely than the both of us. ;-)

Jogeephus":5asmaqv5 said:
cow pollinater":5asmaqv5 said:
Jogeephus":5asmaqv5 said:

While I don't know why this sounds tempting ..... it does. Almost gratifying.

But you know, if I read between the lines in Vette's post correctly, I think he is spending his time more wisely than the both of us. ;-)

I'm sure some might question the "wisely" part...

Jogeephus":2mfo2gdn said:
I have been saying that for a while. But the problem is we have been programed so well we only think about the carrot, or look around for the carrot that everyone else is chasing.

kickinbull":1j19eqiq said:
Jogeephus":1j19eqiq said:
I have been saying that for a while. But the problem is we have been programed so well we only think about the carrot, or look around for the carrot that everyone else is chasing.

That danged carrot has done shriveled up and turned black now. They need to put a fresh carrot on.

kickinbull":3dt7tnz8 said:
Jogeephus":3dt7tnz8 said:
Yes we have been program to do the best and be the best as our ability and resources allow...and somehow, farmers and ranchers have applied that to what they do no matter the financial outcome. I think it worked until they were told to borrow against their assets and "specialize" (concentrate on one or two areas instead of being self-sufficient, then buy the rest from someone else that is "specializing" in what you need). Then someone sucker punched em by programming the masses to buy "worldly goods" before providing for the necessities of one's existence...(henceforth an implied entitlement for "cheap" sustenance) and it's only gone downhill from their. (sorry, I tripped over a soapbox)

backhoeboogie":3dt7tnz8 said:
kickinbull":3dt7tnz8 said:
Jogeephus":3dt7tnz8 said:

That danged carrot has done shriveled up and turned black now. They need to put a fresh carrot on.

To late backhoe....cause now YOU are supposed to provide the carrot (as cheaply as possible)....you know, because you get such a good tax breaks on your agriculture land and purchases. ;-)

kickinbull":8k6nz5aa said:
Jogeephus":8k6nz5aa said:

Back to this again from another angle.....I'm at 40% of the herd I had 2 years ago. We had a decent Fall last year with a very mild Winter along with really good moisture. I stopped feeding hay December 30th and have less than $200 in feed costs. That's mostly salt and mineral plus a few bags of cubes to help pen the cattle when needed. I'm not sure when to even plan on having to start to feed. I think it could be feasible (depending on the weather) I may not have to feed any (probably jinxed that idea just now). It did dry up in May and was looking as bad as 2011 before relief came in July. Now the pasture grasses are looking the best they have in years. However they are a little weedy right now as I was busy getting hitched during the time I should have been spraying. I do have a theory how the weeds over the long run are actually going to a help but will like to see if anyone can "think outside the box" before I explain that one. :) OH... a few interesting % numbers....This year I've sold 63% fewer calves for 48% less income with a few calves left to sell. Estimate on final numbers could be 56% fewer calves sold for 38% less income.

Latest posts