Chopping Corn

Help Support CattleToday:

mnmtranching

Reaction score
Anyone else chopping corn?

I started on Fri. piling, inoculating, packing.

50 loads per pile [about 250 tons] 50X100 plastic cover.

This is a 1 man operation, 3 loads then unload. 6 loads per day is a good days work. :eek: :shock: :help:

Anyone else chopping corn?

No corn to chop. :oops:

Most all was shredded back in June and replanted in cotton.

That makes two disastrous crops in one year. :???:

Wadena county neighbor tried chopping last Monday but quit - - moisture level was 78%.

I put in more corn this year due to prices but my "grain corn" that is not going to make it. I forgot to add the water... Talked to a guy about bagging what is there so I can self feed silage under a hot wire next summer.

Do you see a cost or feeding advantage to piling it, or don't you have an a bagger available?

I prefer piling or stacking to bagging simply because of cost. The last I made a bag of corn silage it cost me $1,000 for the use bagger and the bag. That was for 125 ton bag. That was several years ago and I don't believe it has gotten any cheaper. I would not try to pile 250 ton of silage by myself. Six 5 ton loads a day, how do you keep it from molding?

This I believe is the best way to store corn silage. Much less cost than bagging. Very little waste. I add a layer to the top every day. Adding inoculant to each load as I unload. I use 2 rear end unloaders and 1 front. Level off with a skidsteer.
By adding to the top it keeps the stuff below from spoiling.
When I put the plastic on I let a foot or two lay flat on the bare ground around the perimeter.
I use a lot of dirt on the outside pulling the plastic tight, After a rain it seals it up real good. The heating stops. [I don't use any tires]
I feed with the Bobcat. fenceline bunks.

One 50X 100 pile of corn silage and 5 pounds per head per day of alfalfa hay will feed 100 cows for 3 months.

It takes me 8-10 days to get a pile covered.

We're chopping in this area now. Corn is doing real good 23-28t/a. I'm not chopping any this year because of the availablity of DDG's.

mnmtranching":8cl9ko38 said:
This I believe is the best way to store corn silage. Much less cost than bagging. Very little waste. I add a layer to the top every day. Adding inoculant to each load as I unload.

Have you tried self feeding out of a pile?
Are you sold on using inoculant?

Bama, I'll work on some pics.

Like what? finished pile? what?

SS, I'm set up for fence line feeding and it works real good.
Fast and I can regulate.

Inoculant? I don't know, Like other things, they say it pays :shock:

It costs about 150$ to do 250 ton.

The price of the plastic :oops: 157$ up about 60$ from last year. :roll: They really do see you coming. :help: :help:

Latest posts