China to drop longstanding ban on US beef imports

Help Support CattleToday:

The lifting of the ban applies to imports of beef that are under 30 months old, according to a statement posted on the Ministry of Agriculture's website. The removal of the ban remains subject to completion of quarantine requirements, which will be issued later, the ministry said, without providing further details.

http://www.reuters.com/article/china-us ... SB9N1BO00H

Any increase in export demand would probably boost cattle prices, and the Chinese market may be "substantial," Mayer said. "It would surely give a boost to the market."
-1x-1.png

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... 2-year-ban

Personally, I don't trust anything China says....

Trust would be further than I'd go.

Example:

There have been at least hundreds of dogs and cats that have been poisoned from an unknown toxin in there processing, and at which step the system is being cheated is still undetermined. I absolutely don't trust them processing the chicken our children will be consuming.

Non food items for the most part don't hold the same scope of threat.

Trust? No, but maybe the news will help to provide a more solid bottom to the market.

TennesseeTuxedo":38rilneb said:
i took it as positive news for our industry. Hope I'm right.

Surprised it got so few replies.

It is a positive. Not immediately, but could help down the road.

I figured this thread would take off to. As we move closer to a world economy (for lack of a better description), the US producer (no matter what the product) will be left further, and further behind. I see the writing on the wall, for our industry. I used to not feel that way. I predicted years ago, the day would come, when the only people in the US, with a steady job would be: federal employees, nurses, school teachers, and cattlemen. I figured if you were producing a product, you were screwed. I see now, people will buy the equivalent of a Waffle House steak, produced in old Mexico, and be happy with the savings.

Bigfoot":2zggh9j4 said:
I figured this thread would take off to. As we move closer to a world economy (for lack of a better description), the US producer (no matter what the product) will be left further, and further behind. I see the writing on the wall, for our industry. I used to not feel that way. I predicted years ago, the day would come, when the only people in the US, with a steady job would be: federal employees, nurses, school teachers, and cattlemen. I figured if you were producing a product, you were screwed. I see now, people will buy the equivalent of a Waffle House steak, produced in old Mexico, and be happy with the savings.

"The U.S. exports over 1 million metric tons of beef a year, worth $6.3 billion. Mexico is its largest export market, followed by Japan, South Korea and Canada."

According to this report Mexico is our largest export market.

You will see less animals in the sale barns this next week. Folks will start holding a little longer on the hope. Another brite side is it has to be less than 30 mths old so the grass feed folks won't be included

TennesseeTuxedo":iuokj0p9 said:
Bigfoot":iuokj0p9 said:

"The U.S. exports over 1 million metric tons of beef a year, worth $6.3 billion. Mexico is its largest export market, followed by Japan, South Korea and Canada."

Interpret please

Bigfoot":lvgang67 said:

That is about what my crystal ball says. I do think the US technology sector will continue to compete. But most producers are suffering as they compete on a world commerce scale.

Margonme":pl68rese said:
TennesseeTuxedo":pl68rese said:
i took it as positive news for our industry. Hope I'm right.

Surprised it got so few replies.

It is a positive. Not immediately, but could help down the road.
Depends how far down the road you look. Modern China doesn't like being behind the 8ball on anything. It will just be a matter of time before they develop their own beef industry, just as they have already been improving their dairy industry.
They've been importing good dairy genetics via Canada and Australia in the form of semen and embryos for years.

From a 2012 Global Business article:
Import bans prevent Chinese farmers from buying live cattle from the United States, so they are importing hundreds of thousands of embryos and vials of semen from beef and dairy cattle each year.

Fonterra of New Zealand, the world's largest dairy exporter, has taken to inseminating its dairy cows in China with semen from the United States because the "genetics tend to create more volume and more protein," said Peter Moore, chief operating officer of the company's international farming ventures.

Ronald Lemenager, a professor of animal sciences at Purdue University in Indiana, said: "When you have a nation's diet changing as rapidly as China's, the most efficient way to build up production is to improve your animal genetics. We have the genetics they want."

Bigfoot":sy8uangl said:
TennesseeTuxedo":sy8uangl said:
Bigfoot":sy8uangl said:

Interpret please

Thanks for making my point Bigfoot, see China at the bottom? Goose egg, that's about to change.

I take this as positive news and I'll leave the "glass has a crack in it" folks to themselves.

Russia wanted a real beef program to and imported our genetics. Didn't work or hasn't so far. Not sure China could meet their ultimate beef not matter what. You have to have a big cow-calf sector and that is land intense as you all know. Beef is pretty low yield per acre compared to row crops.

Latest posts