Chevron Delo 400

Help Support CattleToday:

slick4591

Reaction score
Have a buddy having a few problems with his diesel engine truck and took it to a shop most everyone recommended. He was told he should switch engine oils to the Delo 400 and stop using Rotella because Rotella foamed too much. Anyone know anything about this? I've been using Rotella in both my truck and tractor and if there's something better I want to use it.

Every diesel we have between farm and business uses rotella and I have had no issues related to oil and it seems to be protecting very well. My mechanic is a oil stickler and changes oil and filter in all diesels every 6 months even if it hasn't reached the hours or mileage if its over halfway there he changes it. He thinks rotella is the best in his opinion.

We use rotella, dello and Mobil delvac, I haven't found anything better or worse about any of the 3. All fine oils IMO, I just buy wich ever one is on sale when I'm buying.

slick4591":2izb9q6q said:
Have a buddy having a few problems with his diesel engine truck and took it to a shop most everyone recommended. He was told he should switch engine oils to the Delo 400 and stop using Rotella because Rotella foamed too much. Anyone know anything about this? I've been using Rotella in both my truck and tractor and if there's something better I want to use it.
What year make and model truck?

Diesel truck? Does it have heui? If so foaming matters for the hpop. At least that is my experience. Can you even get plain delo anymore? In Cali all you can get is le anymore. Especially since delo is not rated for ulsd motors, only delo le is rated for most late model Diesel engines. Just wondering?

The formula Rotella uses has changed over the years and besides what difference would it make what brand he uses? The truck is 19yrs old!

Calhoun Farm":2uxn03li said:
The formula Rotella uses has changed over the years and besides what difference would it make what brand he uses? The truck is 19yrs old!

The info is not necessarily for him, although the oil suggestion was given to him. I have diesels too and want to run the best stuff I can, hence the reason I'm asking.

I'll correct my earlier post that it is a '94 but it's a 350. It has the International turbo in it. It's still a good engine, so why wouldn't you want to take the best of care?

slick4591":1bd01lbp said:
Calhoun Farm":1bd01lbp said:

The info is not necessarily for him, although the oil suggestion was given to him. I have diesels too and want to run the best stuff I can, hence the reason I'm asking.

I'll correct my earlier post that it is a '94 but it's a 350. It has the International turbo in it. It's still a good engine, so why wouldn't you want to take the best of care?

The reason I ask and one reason the recipe for some of those oils has changed is due to the anti-foaming attributes in order for the injectors to function properly. I can't fully explain it but when the oil foams the injectors aren't going to work right.

Thanks for the link. I think this was his problem as fuel was not getting to the injectors. The truck died and wouldn't restart without pull starting. I guess the shop couldn't find anything wrong and changed the oil to the Delo.

Kingfisher":1q6who0l said:
slick4591":1q6who0l said:
Calhoun Farm":1q6who0l said:

The reason I ask and one reason the recipe for some of those oils has changed is due to the anti-foaming attributes in order for the injectors to function properly. I can't fully explain it but when the oil foams the injectors aren't going to work right.
If your motor oil is in your injectors you have a serious problem.

If it's a psd and not an idi I have re oringed the ipr valve with lots of success. My symptoms were truck would not idle or start conventionally and would only stay running at heavy throttle. Might help ya.

slick4591":2y73comq said:
Thanks for the link. I think this was his problem as fuel was not getting to the injectors. The truck died and wouldn't restart without pull starting. I guess the shop couldn't find anything wrong and changed the oil to the Delo.
It wouldn't be the first one repaired with an oil change.

Latest posts