Checked out this site yesterday and signed up today....It's damn informative!

Help Support CattleToday:

Redstone65

Reaction score
I plan on learning a lot on here. Currently checking out (On Zillow)Sweetwater for vacant land. How is the area? WiFi? traffic?

I plan on learning a lot on here. Currently checking out (On Zillow)Sweetwater for vacant land. How is the area? WiFi? traffic?
Sweetwater, the rest of Texas, and the south in general, are all extremely hot, laden with bugs, venomous snakes and alligators are everywhere (get get bit about 10 times a week just checking the mail), the people are closed minded and hostile, and there's no wifi. Some areas you can't even get power and water. The plants all have thorns, I once got stuck on a lemon tree bush for 3 days. It's awful! You should probably stay in NY where it's nice and civilized (ignore my location tag).

Sweetwater, the rest of Texas, and the south in general, are all extremely hot, laden with bugs, venomous snakes and alligators are everywhere (get get bit about 10 times a week just checking the mail), the people are closed minded and hostile, and there's no wifi. Some areas you can't even get power and water. The plants all have thorns, I once got stuck on a lemon tree bush for 3 days. It's awful! You should probably stay in NY where it's nice and civilized (ignore my location tag).
Some of that is absolutely true.. But, I think the 3 day thing on the lemon tree is exaggerating a little.. 24 hours is about average, before the buzzards or coyotes get you.

Last edited:
You might notice that the Texans don't want people moving there. That is especially true about people from up north moving to Texas. But that is the same every where. We don't like it when Texans move here and do all we can to convince them to stay in Texas.

You might notice that the Texans don't want people moving there. That is especially true about people from up north moving to Texas. But that is the same every where. We don't like it when Texans move here and do all we can to convince them to stay in Texas.
I've lived all across the south, including Texas, generally speaking unless you're from an east coast southern town you'll adjust fairly quickly because most southern states were occupied in a westward spread by the same people. There's tons counties, towns and regions with the same names in most southern states. You don't begin to reach too much cultural disparity until you hit far west Texas (or south Louisiana). Texas itself just gets such a large share of the cultural bravado because Texas is huge and the people in it are as much of their own nation as they are of this one, I sat on many a porch of a Texan who had only left the state a handful of times ever. As far as moving up your way, y'all can keep it, I've never been in snow deeper than the tops of my boots and I ain't never gonna did.

No problem with that Dave. You have beautiful country and great cattle up there but I'm staying right here.

I have lived all over the world (except Europe...they're WAY too snobbish and aristocratic for me) and for the most part, adjusting to different cultures is quite easy compared to South La, where I lived and worked for over a decade. Liked it, learned to live with it, ate great food and had some adventures but was very glad to get back to Texas. (my kids all went to school there and were forced to attend French Emersion class (called CODIFIL). It was then I knew it was time to "leave Lousiana in the broad daylight". I crossed the Sabine in 1993 and have never been back.

Last edited:
I've lived all across the south, including Texas, generally speaking unless you're from an east coast southern town you'll adjust fairly quickly because most southern states were occupied in a westward spread by the same people. There's tons counties, towns and regions with the same names in most southern states. You don't begin to reach too much cultural disparity until you hit far west Texas (or south Louisiana). Texas itself just gets such a large share of the cultural bravado because Texas is huge and the people in it are as much of their own nation as they are of this one, I sat on many a porch of a Texan who had only left the state a handful of times ever. As far as moving up your way, y'all can keep it, I've never been in snow deeper than the tops of my boots and I ain't never gonna did.
I'm one of those, I been to Arkansas a couple of times ( that's where my wife is from) and Mexico once, that was in 1980.

"Well, them boys down there in Texas
They got some damn fine weed
'Cause they smuggle it across the Rio
They use that Mexican breed
Well, that's explointin' cheap labor
But hell, that's Texican's creed
Them boys a-down in Texas
Got some damn fine weed"

Latest posts