Hello and thank you all.

Help Support CattleToday:

Sotex

Reaction score
I finally registered to be on this forum but have been reading posts for about 4 years. So, thank you all for the tips.

I'm from Stockdale, Tx. I was born and raised in the country. My grandpa had a few cows but other than roping steers I never really had any until about 4-5 years ago when we bought our current property.

Welcome from N Alabama. Please put your location on your profile. It helps to let us know how to answer any questions you might have in the future.

Welcome to the CT forum. just wondering why it took 4 years to finally share some of your wisdom with us. looking forward to seeing more of your posts.

I finally registered to be on this forum but have been reading posts for about 4 years. So, thank you all for the tips.

I'm from Stockdale, Tx. I was born and raised in the country. My grandpa had a few cows but other than roping steers I never really had any until about 4-5 years ago when we bought our current property.
Welcome. Just a little ways NE of you in Lavaca County.

Thanks for the welcomes. Dcarp, I go through your area frequently on my way to Seadrift. What type of cattle do you run? I'm starting to look for a young bullthat will be ready to go around June. If you happen to have something let me know. I'm thinking Brangus, Hereford or Angus. I do have one heifer in the mix this year.

Thanks for the welcomes. Dcarp, I go through your area frequently on my way to Seadrift. What type of cattle do you run? I'm starting to look for a young bullthat will be ready to go around June. If you happen to have something let me know. I'm thinking Brangus, Hereford or Angus. I do have one heifer in the mix this year.
You are in the land of Angus bulls. There are quite a few breeders with in a short distance. We actually get bulls from J Bar Angus out of Halletsville. We have really good luck with them holding up in our conditions a little further south.

You go to Charlie's? 😄

I am have Brangus cattle. . Currently using a bull I purchased from Pennridge Ranch in Giddings. We are small time. Last year's calves are long gone, none on the ground yet this year.

Thanks for the welcomes. Dcarp, I go through your area frequently on my way to Seadrift.

I worked on a drilling rig (oilwell) just outside Seadrift (on 185 just south of Powderhorn before it was sold off) in the early 80s.
An interesting little town then, but a long boring drive from Victoria to Seadrift....

I worked on a drilling rig (oilwell) just outside Seadrift (on 185 just south of Powderhorn before it was sold off) in the early 80s.
An interesting little town then, but a long boring drive from Victoria to Seadrift....
That use to all be owned by one family. Now it's been sold off and junked out with high fences and other stuff. Powderhorn is in a nature conservancy, the refuge and a few others. Hopefully they get as much as they can protected.

Yeah I've noticed that there are plenty of angus bulls to choose from. I used to have about 10 cows but I'm down to 5 right now after the last 2 summers that we had. I try to leave alot for the wildlife. I am starting to pick up a bred cow here and there as we've had good rain this winter.

As for fishing, I used to fish Aransas Pass mostly. Last year we bought a lot in Seadrift and I'm finally putting the finishing touches on the RV setup. I have been out of Charlie's once and fished Port O connor a little. I recently bought the first bay boat that I've owned in a while so definitely still learning the area.

Yeah I've noticed that there are plenty of angus bulls to choose from. I used to have about 10 cows but I'm down to 5 right now after the last 2 summers that we had. I try to leave alot for the wildlife. I am starting to pick up a bred cow here and there as we've had good rain this winter.

As for fishing, I used to fish Aransas Pass mostly. Last year we bought a lot in Seadrift and I'm finally putting the finishing touches on the RV setup. I have been out of Charlie's once and fished Port O connor a little. I recently bought the first bay boat that I've owned in a while so definitely still learning the area.
POC is a chit show. It's every wanna be a and F250 and rubber band tires and neon lights. Only thing I'll do is drink beer at the cut and chase women there.

If you put in at Charlie's and can run very shallow both Dewberry and Shoalwater can have good reds with little traffic. The end of shoalwater can be decent by Steamboat and well as the shell areas in Steamboat. Where all the lakes along the island, in SA and Esp Bay, dump out it can be good but you have to get there early or when it's not busy because it's the easiest spots to get to.

The gem of Seadrift is in San Antonio Bay. If you run a good chip or GPS it will show all the reefs as well as the hot spot maps. If you ease around in there and watch for bait you can get on some good fish. We always start on the island where a lake dumps out right at daylight then we reef hop. To really maximize it you have to get on the reefs and wade. Those fish will ball up with bait and you can get a boat in there with out busting them up. As you probably know, any cuts in ledges or bowls in those reefs make good places for predator fish. You can do reds, drum, trout, and flounder all off those reefs. When you are in there, if your GPS says pipe X, it's a pipe. LoL Stay clear. I've never had an issue but there is junk in there. We just put around and keep an eye out.

Last edited:

Latest posts