New to Cattle and Cattle Today

Help Support CattleToday:

Eventually their offspring will be freezer beef. Had to start over after the big forest fires in 2011.
In 2012 We purchased 14 acres on an existing ranch and when we fenced the gates were left open to allow their cattle and horses access. Always enjoyed them being around, especially when the new ones were born. The rancher has sold their property now and our gates are closed. We decided to get a few cattle and see how it works out.
Well you've gotten some advice and had a little time to think... so have you rethought anything? What is the plan as of this moment?

Also wanted to comment about the bull being with the heifers. Heifer calves can start cycling at 4+ months old. Doesn't happen often - but it happens. And a bull of most any age is willing to take care of her needs. Granted a 6 month old bull "should" not be potent yet - but, lots of sibs get bred by their herd mates. You don't want to deal with a 15-18 month old heifer calving. It happens - more than we like to admit. A lot of us give our weaned heifers a shot of Lutalyse couple weeks after they are weaned and separated from the bull calves. It will abort an early pregnancy.
Grass fed beef - this is a whole topic in itself. There are a few good producers that are able to do a good job raising grass fed beef. But, it is more management and time than grain fed. And, if you don't like venison, you may not like grass fed beef. I can't imagine anyone in Texas is able to properly raise gfb. You need to constantly provide fresh growing forage for them - supposedly always in an increase quality - which also includes feeding hay if you don't have grass - but top quality hay like alfalfa. Granted lots of people raise "gfb" - but is it quality? I would suggest you go to a reputable breeder that is raising gfb and buy his BEST cut of steak. See if you like it before you fill a freezer with it. If you like it, ask him how he raises his cattle to finish.
Some people down by Houston can raise GFB if they have a lot of clover and manage their fields well. If you wanted to try it in central Texas, you'd need a constant supply of winter wheat or some mix That would provide lots of protein in the winter. And if you had a spring drought, you couldn't finish the cattle.

If you wanted to be drought-proof, you'd then need a pivot with irrigation, but gfb wouldn't pay for one…

@Slipstrm, are you still there? I hope we didn't run you off. That wasn't the intention.
No Sir, did'nt run me off, just been busy with life.
Thanks to all who responded, I appreciate your honesty.
Definitely not what I wanted to hear, many of you have learned the hard way and have tried to warn me.
I have listened, and will be taking some of the advice to heart.
We are proceeding and hoping for a good outcome.
A wise man fights to win, but he is twice a fool who has no plan for possible defeat.

No Sir, didn't run me off, just been busy with life.
Thanks to all who responded, I appreciate your honesty.
Definitely not what I wanted to hear, many of you have learned the hard way and have tried to warn me.
I have listened, and will be taking some of the advice to heart.
We are proceeding and hoping for a good outcome.
A wise man fights to win, but he is twice a fool who has no plan for possible defeat.

I'm glad to hear it. Be sure to let us know how it's going when you have time.

If you're interested in some input from someone who's had cattle for close to fifty years, make these animals freezer beef, not their offspring. Someone new to cattle trying to get heifers raised up, bred, and then have a calf is a recipe for disaster (I'd like to not put it so strongly, but that's the situation). Heifers are much more likely to have problems having a calf, and then raising it, than older cows.

Also, as he matures it will get increasingly difficult to keep a bull inside the fences with just two cows. I wouldn't want to try it with less than a dozen or so. Any fewer than that you're better off having them bred artificially, but for the reason stated and because it's not economically feasible to buy and feed a bull for just a few cows.

It's very common for newcomers to the industry to think that starting with heifers is the best plan, but if you really want to have a cow (or cows), your chances for success are much greater with a cow that's already had a calf or two and raised it successfully. Or just buy calves from someone else for freezer beef for a few years until you get a little more experience.

Please don't think I'm trying to rain on your parade. I want you to succeed with your cattle.
"Life is too short to drink cheap beer or dance with ugly women". Thats funny! BUT! I have to tell U. Some of the best dates have been the ugly girls! Or maybe even the not so petite girls. Knew a girl I called Butter Face! Cuz everything looked good butter face! Don't drink much beer. But I like very good 12 year old whiskey.