New to Cattle Today

Help Support CattleToday:

SCcattle

Reaction score
Hello, new to this forum and excited to learn from the other members and discuss cattle topics. Currently I am cattle farming in SC, raising black angus.

I Look forward to learning more from everyone.

Hello, new to this forum and excited to learn from the other members and discuss cattle topics. Currently I am cattle farming in SC, raising black angus.

I Look forward to learning more from everyone.
Welcome. Tell us more. At least 1 member here from western SC. More I'm sure.

Welcome. Tell us more. At least 1 member here from western SC. More I'm sure.
Good to hear that we have another member from SC. I got involved with my family farm in 2020 which was primarily registered black angus. After selecting 20 Heifers to start my own herd, I decided to focus on beef finishing and selling to local customers. I really am interested to learn more about that and become more efficient. Currently I am grass fed and grain finished for the last 120 days or so.

Interested in learning different strategies and how I can improve my product.

Good to hear that we have another member from SC. I got involved with my family farm in 2020 which was primarily registered black angus. After selecting 20 Heifers to start my own herd, I decided to focus on beef finishing and selling to local customers. I really am interested to learn more about that and become more efficient. Currently I am grass fed and grain finished for the last 120 days or so.

Interested in learning different strategies and how I can improve my product.
Anything specific you are interested in learning/asking?

Anything specific you are interested in learning/asking?
So right now I have 8 steers that are grazing a field. My plan was to let them get to 14-16 months before graduating them to grazing plus feeding grain once a day. When feeding grain I would step them up to about 25# of 14% feed daily. This would be over 120 days with the idea to send them to butcher at 18-20 months. Any suggestions on age or feeding strategy would be much appreciated! I have done 3 this way and had good results but am wanting to continue to improve and learn from other operations.

Welcome to the boards. I know you told us that you live in SC, but 2 weeks (or 2 days for me!!), we won't remember. I realize you have SC in your "name", but, if you would click on your name at top of page and put your location in your info, it will show up under your name on each post. Location is extremely important when we discuss programs or problem solving.
I raise PB Simmental to sell as seedstock and show cattle. In this day and age, there isn't a lot of difference between breeds like there used to.
I feed out 2-6 fall born steers each year. After I wean them in Mar/April, I put them on whole shell corn (cheapest and heathiest diet) with some protein pellets added to make a 14% ration. I start them off at 1% of their BW, slowly increasing the amount of corn. By the time they are about 800#, they don't need that much protein. More like a maximum of 12% ration. Mine are on grass while they are being fed. Later in the summer, they are on good hay.
My goal is to butcher my Sept/Oct born steers in October when they are 12-13 months of age and have a 750# carcass weight. The last one harvested mid Oct was a 747# HCW.
Research shows that you need to keep a calf's growth curve constant for best marbling. So, by putting them out on pasture after having mom's great milk and grazing, you are probably slowing down his growth curve.
Well, that was probably more than you wanted to hear!!!
Mainly want to welcome you and hope you visit with us.

Welcome to the boards. I know you told us that you live in SC, but 2 weeks (or 2 days for me!!), we won't remember. I realize you have SC in your "name", but, if you would click on your name at top of page and put your location in your info, it will show up under your name on each post. Location is extremely important when we discuss programs or problem solving.
I raise PB Simmental to sell as seedstock and show cattle. In this day and age, there isn't a lot of difference between breeds like there used to.
I feed out 2-6 fall born steers each year. After I wean them in Mar/April, I put them on whole shell corn (cheapest and heathiest diet) with some protein pellets added to make a 14% ration. I start them off at 1% of their BW, slowly increasing the amount of corn. By the time they are about 800#, they don't need that much protein. More like a maximum of 12% ration. Mine are on grass while they are being fed. Later in the summer, they are on good hay.
My goal is to butcher my Sept/Oct born steers in October when they are 12-13 months of age and have a 750# carcass weight. The last one harvested mid Oct was a 747# HCW.
Research shows that you need to keep a calf's growth curve constant for best marbling. So, by putting them out on pasture after having mom's great milk and grazing, you are probably slowing down his growth curve.
Well, that was probably more than you wanted to hear!!!
Mainly want to welcome you and hope you visit with us.
That's great info and I really appreciate the in depth response. Just want to make sure I am understanding your post. Your saying after I finish weaning them and placing them on grass for roughly 6-8 month before introducing grain that it is harming their marbling? If so what would you suggest doing during that time? Thanks in advance!

I have been to his farm and seems like it was just west of Anderson. But I was following the GPS so I could have been in Florida. I do remember driving north on I-85 until I got on 25 in Greenville I think.

SC - many people "background" their weaned calves like what you did. If you are getting 400-500# weaned calves, it might be beneficial to background them.
My winter calves will wean at around 550-650# (lighter than my spring born calves). They do not need to be backgrounded.
All my spring born steers get preconditioned and sent to a feedlot - no backgrounding.
It all depends on your system/facilities/feed. Grazing/backgrounding gives you low daily gain. You are backgrounding them to 14-16 months of age (so about 7-9 months). They should be ready to butcher at that age or close. Time is money. Why waste all that time? Again, maybe they are too small to go on feed. If so, you might look at better bulls for better weaning weights?? Angus cattle have just about as good a weaning weight as mine do.
Remember, what is good for me or "some" - may not be good for you. You will get lots of advice - some very good, some not so much. You have to shift thru the BS

SC - many people "background" their weaned calves like what you did. If you are getting 400-500# weaned calves, it might be beneficial to background them.
My winter calves will wean at around 550-650# (lighter than my spring born calves). They do not need to be backgrounded.
All my spring born steers get preconditioned and sent to a feedlot - no backgrounding.
It all depends on your system/facilities/feed. Grazing/backgrounding gives you low daily gain. You are backgrounding them to 14-16 months of age (so about 7-9 months). They should be ready to butcher at that age or close. Time is money. Why waste all that time? Again, maybe they are too small to go on feed. If so, you might look at better bulls for better weaning weights?? Angus cattle have just about as good a weaning weight as mine do.
Remember, what is good for me or "some" - may not be good for you. You will get lots of advice - some very good, some not so much. You have to shift thru the BS
Thank you for the explanation and I really appreciate the advice & guidance. To be honest my only reason to "background" them has been to lower my feed cost and let them graze for, 8-14 mo rather than feed them for the entire time. I have not really considered feeding them the entire time while they also graze after weaning. Is that what you are suggesting? I do not currently have a good set up for a true feedlot.

So right now I have 8 steers that are grazing a field. My plan was to let them get to 14-16 months before graduating them to grazing plus feeding grain once a day. When feeding grain I would step them up to about 25# of 14% feed daily. This would be over 120 days with the idea to send them to butcher at 18-20 months. Any suggestions on age or feeding strategy would be much appreciated! I have done 3 this way and had good results but am wanting to continue to improve and learn from other operations.
Sounds fine to me...

I've never finished numbers of animals for sale. But I've finished quite a few for my own use and have sold a half here and there with no complaints. Never seen the need to feed that much grain. Of course I tend to raise animals that are easy keepers to begin with and they don't need a lot of supplements to grow or lay on a good fat cover. But that's just me. There are a lot of people here that pound the feed to their animals. One of the things I've learned since I've been here. I'm still trying to figure out how it pencils out.

So right now I have 8 steers that are grazing a field. My plan was to let them get to 14-16 months before graduating them to grazing plus feeding grain once a day. When feeding grain I would step them up to about 25# of 14% feed daily. This would be over 120 days with the idea to send them to butcher at 18-20 months. Any suggestions on age or feeding strategy would be much appreciated!
IF you will be selling 1/2s direct to consumers, I'd suggest getting butcher dates in May or August to coincide with demand for beef before Memorial Day start of grilling season and/or before Labor Day and adjust feeding schedule accordingly if possible.

Honestly, have not put a pencil to cost/profit of the steers. I just knew I was making $$ on them.
Weaned 4-1 ready for feedlot 5-1 - 650# x $1.45/# = $942.50

"IF" I fed 2T of WSC = $270 x 2 = $540
2 bags of 32% protein pellets = $ 64
Value at weaning $942.50
Total $1546.50

Carcass 750# x $3.75 = $2812.50
-$1546.50
Profit $1266.00

So, for leaving them out on grass all summer, labor of feeding 2x day, nice profit. Take out maybe 2 bales of baleage, I think that's a pretty good return on your money. I really padded the amount of grain/costs to be fed in this scenery. And I did not deduct the cost of grain for the preconditioning 30 days on the steers sold right away as feeders.

SOB has a good thought, but my area, I can sell sides any time of the year. If we have someone back out at last minute, we can post of FB and have numerous buyers. Selling halves is the easiest thing I've had to sell in many years. But, you DEFINITELY need to get kill dates locked in. Many places are 12 months out getting a date. Especially if it's a USDA butcher. I don't use a USDA. Don't need the stamp to sell sides. If you decide to sell meat by the #, you have to use a USDA.
My butcher is $0.75/# - local USDA is $1.25/#. My buyers pay cut/wrap/freeze/kill cost and they don't bat an eye at $3.75/# to me.

I made the decision to feed out my fall steers because I can't feed out spring born ones. I do not have an area thru the winter that I can separate the steers to feed them. This has been profitable enough, that we are trying to figure out a space to feed out a few thru the winter.

Latest posts