New to Cattle Today

Help Support CattleToday:

Honestly, have not put a pencil to cost/profit of the steers. I just knew I was making $$ on them.
Weaned 4-1 ready for feedlot 5-1 - 650# x $1.45/# = $942.50

"IF" I fed 2T of WSC = $270 x 2 = $540
2 bags of 32% protein pellets = $ 64
Value at weaning $942.50
Total $1546.50

Carcass 750# x $3.75 = $2812.50
-$1546.50
Profit $1266.00

So, for leaving them out on grass all summer, labor of feeding 2x day, nice profit. Take out maybe 2 bales of baleage, I think that's a pretty good return on your money. I really padded the amount of grain/costs to be fed in this scenery. And I did not deduct the cost of grain for the preconditioning 30 days on the steers sold right away as feeders.

SOB has a good thought, but my area, I can sell sides any time of the year. If we have someone back out at last minute, we can post of FB and have numerous buyers. Selling halves is the easiest thing I've had to sell in many years. But, you DEFINITELY need to get kill dates locked in. Many places are 12 months out getting a date. Especially if it's a USDA butcher. I don't use a USDA. Don't need the stamp to sell sides. If you decide to sell meat by the #, you have to use a USDA.
My butcher is $0.75/# - local USDA is $1.25/#. My buyers pay cut/wrap/freeze/kill cost and they don't bat an eye at $3.75/# to me.

I made the decision to feed out my fall steers because I can't feed out spring born ones. I do not have an area thru the winter that I can separate the steers to feed them. This has been profitable enough, that we are trying to figure out a space to feed out a few thru the winter.
Very helpful, thanks again for the insight... I have bulk feed being delivered next week and will be putting these steers on it at 9 months rather than 14! Thanks again, much appreciated.

Sounds fine to me...

I've never finished numbers of animals for sale. But I've finished quite a few for my own use and have sold a half here and there with no complaints. Never seen the need to feed that much grain. Of course I tend to raise animals that are easy keepers to begin with and they don't need a lot of supplements to grow or lay on a good fat cover. But that's just me. There are a lot of people here that pound the feed to their animals. One of the things I've learned since I've been here. I'm still trying to figure out how it pencils out.
I'm probably guilty of pounding feed to my cattle...but it really does pencil out in the positive (saving money)...versus buying expensive drought stricken hay with excessive nitrites that might hurt them.

I'm probably guilty of pounding feed to my cattle...but it really does pencil out in the positive (saving money)...versus buying expensive drought stricken hay with excessive nitrites that might hurt them.
Yeah, I feel bad for you guys down in Texas. I've never been in a drought so bad that I didn't make a hay crop.