talk me out of this

Help Support CattleToday:

baybuzzard

Reaction score
Hello All,

We own a small farm in the NE corridor. There are three fields that are interconnected, 2-3-4 acres respectively.
bunch of clover and johnson grass on them, with some little blue stem too. There are 5 more acres of open land available to them, but it is a 'short' hike thru a muddy lane.

We love the idea of having some animals out there, grazing, pooping, and rotating around. It is the practice that I am not sure I will love. I say I at the end, because I will be doing all of the work. But 'we' are making the decisions.

So, let's make good, or at least well thought out decisions. There are no fences up, just stone wall. There is no pen or lean to. Lot's of shade around, and the soil sits around 6.5 ph. Loamy, clay, with high EC. Northeastern environment, so maybe alot like North Carolina soon;)

I would be willing to build a small, care lean to, but dislike the idea of a full barn for animals to hang out in. These, ideally, would be 24/7/365, outdoor animals. Possibly, 'mini' cows, is a definite thought.

We plan to punch a point well out in the fields, for farming, and the animals(cow, goats, chickens), whoever winds up being housed.

This would be a lifestyle decision, not a monetary one. Cows will not be paying the bills, at least that is not the initial plan.

So, there's land, time, and some motivation to do this :)

Now, will someone please talk me out of this?!?! With that in mind, my membership here may be brief :O, or last for decades to come;) Only time will tell.

We like cows, and hang out with them , but never owned them.

bb1 042.JPG1 041.JPGDSCN2275.JPG

Hello All,
We own a small farm in the NE corridor. There are three fields that are interconnected, 2-3-4 acres respectively. There are 5 more acres of open land available, but it is a 'short' hike. There are no fences up, just stone wall. This would be a lifestyle decision. Now, will someone please talk me out of this?!?!
View attachment 24930
You son of a silly person. Watch "Field of Dreams" you have an opportunity to put in a baseball field with 5 acres of parking and you want to ruin the environment with flatulent cows? You can buy meat cheaper than raising it. Lifestyle decision, you should really become a vegetarian and abandon red meat for black beans. :)
I'm at a loss trying to think of other ways to talk you out of it, perhaps others can.

p.s.
welcome to cattle forum
Oh and the cows with horns could put your eye out, you might as well get a BB gun. :)

Last edited:
Well, pretty much all cattle can be 24/7/365 outdoor animals. Don't overlook sheep as an idea. As far as work, with your amount of acreage even if you ran minis (I wouldn't) you wouldn't be looking at the kind of numbers that would leave you cussing a blue streak trying to work them. Welcome to the forum.

Welcome, this is a good board and you can learn a lot. I have lived in the country and raised livestock all my life. It's a satisfying lifestyle and can understand why people are drawn to it. I like tending to animals, feeding horses and cattle with chickens and guineas picking around., Milking cows, gathering eggs, building fences and barns. I if you want pet cattle I would suggest starting with a couple of bottle calves and raise some baby chickens out in the garage. That way you have time to fix the place up for livestock. Little bottle calves need to be kept warm and dry so they need some kind of shelter to begin with

Sounds like another "back to the land" story. I've had livestock large and small all my life and still doing cattle and some chickens. First thing is get a good fence up with an energizer w/ polytwine. This will allow you to know your critters are contained and not eating neighbors gardens. Are those horned cows highlanders? Think safety and remove them. BTW...do not over populate your pasture

Welcome.
I say why not, the cattle business is something you have to like/enjoy doing, I've been in it all my life and still enjoy it.
There's lots you can learn on this forum, all you have to do is ask.
Good luck.
Many thanks! And yes, my list of questions is growing. Reading a book or two first, before I start peeling off what's and why's.

Well, pretty much all cattle can be 24/7/365 outdoor animals. Don't overlook sheep as an idea. As far as work, with your amount of acreage even if you ran minis (I wouldn't) you wouldn't be looking at the kind of numbers that would leave you cussing a blue streak trying to work them. Welcome to the forum.
Hello @50/50Farms , I like the sheep idea too. May I ask a couple of questions? Why no mini's ? Can you elaborate about the blue streak, number of cows vs. my acreage?
Welcome, this is a good board and you can learn a lot. I have lived in the country and raised livestock all my life. It's a satisfying lifestyle and can understand why people are drawn to it. I like tending to animals, feeding horses and cattle with chickens and guineas picking around., Milking cows, gathering eggs, building fences and barns. I if you want pet cattle I would suggest starting with a couple of bottle calves and raise some baby chickens out in the garage. That way you have time to fix the place up for livestock. Little bottle calves need to be kept warm and dry so they need some kind of shelter to begin with
Thank you for taking the time @TexasJerseyMilker . Your suggestion about the calves is interesting.
I am not a therapist nor do I write for Mother Earth News. But you need a better grip before you start anything. Move there and then decide.
Just having some fun scroogy :) Been here for a while now. We've evaluated the land, and are moving forward with some plans, and scrapping others. As for having a grip, meh - it's overrated ;)

Sounds like another "back to the land" story. I've had livestock large and small all my life and still doing cattle and some chickens. First thing is get a good fence up with an energizer w/ polytwine. This will allow you to know your critters are contained and not eating neighbors gardens. Are those horned cows highlanders? Think safety and remove them. BTW...do not over populate your pasture
Highlanders not ours. Not new to 'the land', just new to owning large animals other than dogs. Fence is a huge concern, the main one really. Keeps me stirring, without the cows even being out there. I see some locals with just a cedar fence combined with electricity.

You son of a silly person. Watch "Field of Dreams" you have an opportunity to put in a baseball field with 5 acres of parking and you want to ruin the environment with flatulent cows? You can buy meat cheaper than raising it. Lifestyle decision, you should really become a vegetarian and abandon red meat for black beans. :)
I'm at a loss trying to think of other ways to talk you out of it, perhaps others can.

p.s.
welcome to cattle forum
Oh and the cows with horns could poke your eye out, you might as well get a BB gun. :)
Thanks for the welcome, and rather amusing alternatives to the cows. I like baseball, but this place lays out real nice for a pitch 'n putt.

Those horned monsters are not ours. I have stumbled upon them in the middle of the night while commando fishing. Needless to say we backed out of the field like mice.

I feel that, about the tresspassing, but we're not teenagers hangin' around. It is a mission meant to be known by noone, and to inconvenience noone.

And, we were just short cutting home. It's a long ass walk, almost 2 miles, deep in the night with work two hours away, = shortcut. We took the 'legal' way in, always, so as not to be seen by anyone. Ah legal my ass, we had the key to the park, and just tresspassed on state land. That walk is brutal, anything to shorten the walk, anything.

As for asking permission. I do this, when it's possible, and many times this is fruitful for me and the landowner. However, in this case: I know them. They know me. They don't like me, and I don't like them. Makes no difference, as I've not seen them in over a decade. Hopefully, that streak continues.

Vast swaths of beach are 'off limits', all up and down the coast. Some of the very best fishing spots are off limits. I never fish bait. leave trash, or even keep a fish. I'm out there doing my thing, and no sign will stop me. I am never 'on' someone's property, just passing thru ;) to the ocean, which is open to all I believe :)

If there were any fish left there, I would still go, even with the very long, uncomfortable hike. That pic is from 2012, and superstorm Sandy wiped out the mussel beds we were targeting, no more beds, no more big fish hanging out eating, 30 feet from shore. Meh, there's other spots. Mostly private beach, my favorite ;)

Sorry to ramble on, but fishing I know, cows not so much

another private idaho gave up this beauty a few years back. Looking forward to fishing a new spot this spring, well enuff fish, back to the cows.

44-1-1.jpg

Latest posts